U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM

40 posts, read 118,810 times

Advertisements

I am an avid golfer who is about to relocate to the Jackson Area. I am interested in joining a country/golf club in the area and would appreciate any suggestions. Visited Reunion which looks very nice. Looked at the websites for Jackson Country Club and Colonial which seem nice as well. No info available on Annendale on the web but it hosts the Viking Classic so must be nice. Looking for a place that is family friendly and just friendly in general with great golf. I appreciate any information you provide. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

190 posts, read 583,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen-golf View Post
I am an avid golfer who is about to relocate to the Jackson Area. I am interested in joining a country/golf club in the area and would appreciate any suggestions. Visited Reunion which looks very nice. Looked at the websites for Jackson Country Club and Colonial which seem nice as well. No info available on Annendale on the web but it hosts the Viking Classic so must be nice. Looking for a place that is family friendly and just friendly in general with great golf. I appreciate any information you provide. Thanks.

Colonial comes as a package deal with Deerfield in the Gluckstadt area. Deerfield is a very nice course, and to me provides good bang for your buck, with the typical country club amenities.

Colonial Country Club - Jackson - Deerfield

Whisper Lake / Patrick Farms / Lake Caroline can also be joined as a package deal or individualy. No pools or tennis courts at Lake Caroline. Whisper Lake is the executive course next to Annandale (par 64). Caroline is a wide open grip it and rip it type course, in case you happen to be a little wild off the tee . There used to also be a package deal available with the Courthouse racquet and fitness club in case you workout or play racquetball and/or tennis. Not sure if it is still available or not.

Randy Watkins Golf

The Refuge in Flowood is a nice public course. An individual year long pass costs $1,200.00. No country club amenities, but a pretty challenging course with lots of water, with not many opportunities to hit the driver.

The Refuge | The Best Purely Public Golf Course in Mississippi!

To me, the three course membership with Whisper Lake, Patrick Farms, and Lake Caroline would be worth looking into, since it provides the opportunity to play three different courses. Like I said, Deerfield is a nice course, but I've never played Colonial. Just not crazy about Jackson. If you've been researching, I'm sure you've found out that the costs for Jackson CC, Reunion, and Annandale are in a completely different ballpark than Colonial/Deerfied and the others, so just depends on how much you want to spend.

Info on Annandale:

http://www.nicklaus.com/design/annandale/index.php

I'll throw in Canton Country Club and Brookwood just to provide an all-inclusive list.

http://www.countryclubofcanton.com/s...822&page=45413

http://www.brookwoodbyramcc.com/golf/proto/brookwoodbyramcc/ (broken link)

Last edited by covedweller; 12-08-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Wow. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM

190 posts, read 583,216 times
No problem. I also forgot to include Baypointe in the Brandon area. I believe the membership there runs about $100 or so per month.

Bay Pointe Resort & Golf Club

Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,498,830 times
I would agree with analysis above. Annandale seems very exclusive; I don't think of it as particularly family-oriented because of that but of course that could be wrong. I would assume they have a website; just make sure you spell it with an "a" rather than an "e" in the middle. It's true that Whisper Lake feels like the more family oriented one with the neighborhood pool, etc. These are right across Hwy 463 from Reunion.

Reunion also appears very expensive but is basically brand-new and extremely nice. It seems more family-oriented in that it seems designed for people moving to the Reunion development and has the pool area, tennis courts, grill etc.

Jackson Country Club is really nice and also very exclusive but they do have families. They have a swim team, etc. (at least they used to).

Castlewoods in Rankin County is more affordable and part of a huge suburban residential area (called Castlewoods). I would guess that this is extremely family friendly. Probably the same for Bay Pointe, which is just down the road from Castlewoods, which is also in a subdivision of more affordable, family-style homes. Deerfield in Madison county seems similar to these two.

Lake Caroline is also popular. However, as far as I know it doesn't really function like a traditional country club with pool, tennis courts, fitness center, etc. Rather it's just a popular golf course, recently reopened after changing ownership, that happens to be in a area with tons of new homes.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 AM

Thank you for the post. I will also check out Castlewoods. Did not know about this one. Drove around Lake Caroline last week and the course looked nice but a little far north for me and the roads were awful to say the least. Reunion was quite nice but have to get more details on membership as I am not committed to living in the development at this point. (Nice homes but very small lots)

Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,498,830 times
Regarding Reunion, I'm sure there's no requirement to actually live in the Reunion community. That would just be an extra convenience.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Checked out the Castlewoods website. The course looks great and nice price point as well. Looks challenging with water on almost every hole. I will definitely have to go and check it out the next time I am in town. Thanks again.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:51 PM

64 posts, read 202,403 times
Your budget is going to dictate where you join alos. Reunion and Annandale are expensive, if you can even get "sponosored" at Annandale.
The three club deal at Whiper/ Patrick/ Caroline can't be beat.
If you want something with family involvment, check into Colonial/ Deerfield Combo. I was a member of it for two years and loved it. So did my family. Lot's to do and they hold a lot of events.
I've played them everyone a good bit and prefer Deerfield/ Colonial as a package IMHO.
What neighborhood are you moving to?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of having 27 or 36 holes for some variety which make Colonial, Jackson, or Castlewoods attractive. I will have to look at the Whisper lakes deal as you suggested as that would give access to three courses. We have not decided on a neighborhood as yet but likely somewhere in Ridgeland or Madison for the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson