U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,905,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesjosh7 View Post
Well, most of the single white men are with guys. You have limited yourself by seeing color first, search the heart of people and you will find out people are people.
A judgmental statement beyond anything the OP ever said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 PM

34 posts, read 155,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesjosh7 View Post
Well, most of the single white men are with guys. You have limited yourself by seeing color first, search the heart of people and you will find out people are people.
That is not necessarily true about most single white men being with guys.

It's such a stereotype. I for one happen to be a single, educated white man but it doesn't mean I'm gay. LOL

Old 03-08-2012, 06:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So you mentioned gym, church, grocery stores, and expensive clothing stores. Did you NOT see that she said "straight"?!?!

LOL!
Actually, BrickPatio's was a pretty good list. OP did say 'educated', after all, which tends to imply Upper Middle Class...you know...as in 'enlightened'. OP did not say her friends were searching for "typical ignorant gender-obsessed Redneck jackasses with manhood issues". I suspect her girlfriends have been finding plenty of those, already.

Educated straight men do know how to eat right, which includes preparing some of their own meals (with healthy ingredients: stuff you'd find at FreshMarket). And The Rogue sells trad menswear, which is straight territory. It's not like BrickPatio was recommending Abercrombie. Turn It Out - Jeanie Tracy; Abercrombie & Fitch Store Music. - YouTube

Even straighter than The Rogue, IMHO, is Great Scott, which is ULTRA Trad. And if the gals are looking for big game, as in seriously rich fellas...I'd recommend Circle7 in Madison, which carries Aldens (the WASPiest shoe made), and other merch calibrated for Mississippi's (straight) Upper Crust. Next door is Beagle Bagel, where the lunchtime crowd includes plenty of young docs from nearby clinics...and lots of other professionals from nearby offices.

Fondren FRF :: Work In Fondren is mostly straight, but not as reliably affluent as the Madison scene. Your time could be wasted by artsy types without any money. But there are tons of young professionals mixed in among the crowd. Plenty of these guys are on-track for six and seven figure incomes. Guys you meet in Fondren are apt to be educated/enlightened. The LARRY THE CABLE GUY scary types who pride themselves on being unable to cook (or tie a tie...or put on a shirt that has sleeves...) tend to hang on the Reservoir.

Lots of young females flock to bars/cafes in Fondren, in the hopes of catching soon-to-be Doctors from the nearby medical center. Young guys flock to Fondren, to hook up with the gals there waiting for Doctor Right. Try the open air cafes there, or the little restaurant at Rainbow (the health food co-op).

And gyms are definitely the place to find the men (and do something constructive in-between opportunities). The Courthouse (main branch) has a huge freeweight area where the big boys work out. Most of those are straight. Authentic Courthouse moment: Steven Webb Posing 4/1/2010 - YouTube. In addition to that world-famous fitness model, there are plenty of almost-as-stunning Surgeons, Dentists, Psychiatrists, and Attorneys. Virtually all of them straight. Gay men with that kind of wherewithal move to LA, Fort Lauderdale, or Seattle, as soon as they're finished with their degree programs.

The Club (gym) supposedly has a luxe new location in Ridgeland. Many nice new condos/townhomes, etc. right there in the area (and some upscale hotels with traveling businessmen who might get workout passes...I mean, if I were Chuck, I'd work a deal with those hotels, so my members would have a chance at some fresh meat once in awhile... Jackson Metro gets so claustrophobic with the same old faces all the time...). So, fledgling Attorneys probably are in abundance at that location.

As for CHURCH, there's one well-established megachurch whose Young Adults class has been for decades known (unofficially) as THE MEAT MARKET. "You can ketch these gals in between marriages, and just ketch one after another. Three differn't f&^%s ever weekend! Hooooo Baweh!" Churches are great places to meet guys, if you want to be used like a paper plate.

Conversely, plenty of Bubbas have told me that church is the worst place to meet 'a good woman' (I guess Church is where one goes to catch a meal ticket, when one becomes too old to troll for med students).

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissRN View Post
That is not necessarily true about most single white men being with guys.

It's such a stereotype. I for one happen to be a single, educated white man but it doesn't mean I'm gay. LOL
Actually, given OP's other primary requisite, 'educated', it is highly unlikely that a single, 'educated' guy in the Jackson Metro will be Gay. Education is one's ticket out of Mississippi. And Gay men generally want out.

Mississippi is a horrendously miserable place for Gay People. There are only two common reasons they stay in that state. Some are trapped by poverty. Their marginal economic status makes moving the thousand miles or so to a Gay Mecca too risky. For 'educated', upper-income Gay men, the primary reason for being trapped in Mississippi is "family obligations". Generally, that means they are married to females, who don't want to leave their families/sorority sisters (but those men are not single, anyway).

There are lots and lots of 'educated' Gay men around Jackson who are married to females. Socially, though, they count as 'straight'.

Frankly, if a guy has a marketable degree and is single in Mississippi, he's most likely (genuinely) straight.

Two of my oldest friends are Gay men who were trapped in the South by poverty (One is a Decorator, and one is in Advertizing). They both knew that their degrees were borderline-worthless, and that by staying in a hellhole like Jackson, they would have less competition than in desirable Gay places like NYC or LA (Where a BFA from a fourth-rate university will get you nowhere, since Gay men in 'creative' professions are overabundant in such places). So, they moved to Jackson, after school. Now, (both being smart...and having nothing to do in Jackson but work...) they're moderately wealthy...but still trapped. You can't move away from your Client Base. Each had planned to 'move somewhere', eventually....but realized they were stuck in the middle of nowhere, forever. ("Well...I could move somewhere when I retire. But I'll be so old and ugly by that point....what would be the point? I can be old and alone here for a tenth of what it would take to be old and alone in Beverly Hills. And LA is too dangerous, now, to live anywhere but Bev.")

So, they both live the most isolated lives. Work is all they have. Big, half-empty houses in Madison (upstairs unfurnished...one wing unfurnished...two empty bays in each garage...waiting for the F150 of an occasional Bubba... 15 minutes, once a year, with some hot married Redneck...that's what passes as a 'love life' for them. If I had to survive on 15 minutes of intimacy for a whole year...or more...I'd blow my brains out.)

Moderator cut: offensive language and references removed

Single, straight men, on the other hand, do GREAT in Mississippi. The females give out free samples galore. A busy Boy Bee can find a pretty flower to pollinate every night of the week, if he wants. Even with work and school, our Sons were apparently able to visit several flowers, some days. The only limiting factor for a hetero dude there is the friction from dealing with Mississippi women (trying to marry/manipulate/control/mother/smother/belittle you...it is the Celtic South, after all...). But smart bees know to collect the honey and fly away fast (comparing notes with fraternity brothers seems to be quite a wise strategy...you know...which flowers give the best honey...which ones are actually Venus Flytraps...).

I've been listening to other people's romantic woes for decades, now. Feels good to pass some of that angst along....

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-10-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM

352 posts, read 945,432 times
Moderator cut: that section was deleted

Like any small town, it's all about who you know. Your girlfriends should get involved with church, volunteering, clubs, tennis (big in Jack-town), golf and the like, alumnae clubs of sororities will also have opportunities for single gals to get introduced to date-able guys.

Online dating also seems like a necessity to broaden the range of opportunities.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-10-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM

89 posts, read 216,029 times
An update to my original post of almost three years ago in case anyone is interested . Two of my GF's met great guys via an online dating site. Trust me, they had their work cut out for them. A lot of men interested in sex only-well imagine that! Anywho, my friend, Miss C, has been dating a real nice guy for two years now. Another friend, Miss F, has been dating a nice guy for almost a year now. Now if I could only find a nice guy for me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or