Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM

62 posts, read 145,585 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I just came across this forum and have been reading through the threads for about a week now.

I've gained a lot of information about the area, but still have a few questions I haven't been able to solve. Any help is appreciated.

First, I'll start with a little background. I currently live in the Washington, DC area. I'm a single male (white if anyone cares). I'm considering moving to Mississippi for work - which would be located in Jackson.

From reading the forums, I've kind of tuned into Madison and Ridgeland areas. Albeit, I don't know ANYTHING about the area or any other potential locations in Mississippi.

What I'm looking for is a situation kind of like where I am now. I'm close enough to a big city (DC, Richmond), there are bars around, places to meet people, shopping, etc. Basically, just looking for an area to meet people and with stuff to do. I'm not really into historical stuff or anything like that (plenty of museums around here that I never visit).

I'm looking for anywhere where young professionals tend to live in an apartment/single family type setting. Would Madison or Ridgeland be the closest thing to this around the Jackson area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 PM

64 posts, read 236,070 times
Probably so. There are some concentrations of young professionals also in the Fondren Belhaven areas. Weekly nightlife is lacking in our area, of course there are always weekend warrior spots. Downtown area is growing and with it a somewhat healthy nightlife but I think that is still a ways away from being considered "vibrant"
What profession are you in?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:39 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,094,019 times
Probably two of your best choices, being young and single would be the Belhaven neighborhood near downtown or in Ridgeland right next to the Reservoir near Main Harbor marina and the Jackson Yacht Club.

Belhaven is surrounded by downtown and several medical centers and colleges so there are a variety of interesting bars and restaurants nearby.

At the reservoir you have great places to walk, run, and bike at the reservoir and along the Natchez Trace. And there are apartments, homes, shopping and restaurants of all types all over Ridgeland. Madison is adjacent to Ridgeland but is entirely single family homes, many upscale, and typical suburban shopping.

Another option is Flowood along Lakeland Drive. Everything in this area is new and there is a big mix of apartments, houses of all sizes, and suburban retail areas. This is near the Reservoir on the Rankin County side.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 AM

190 posts, read 689,884 times
If I were a young single man moving to the Jackson area, I'd definitely give the Township at Colony Park in Ridgeland a look. Although it is still under development, it has good access to the premier mall in the area (Renaissance), restaurants, a large healthclub is in work, and it is in a good area for running/biking etc., with easy interstate access if you are working inside the Jackson city limits.

The Township at Colony Park - Ridgeland, Mississippi - Live Work Shop

Renaissance:::Home

Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 AM

Thank you all for the answers!!

I think this really helps in narrowing down the potential locations to move and I'll continue to look at the Ridgeland/Madison areas. Of course, I'll be able to see for myself if I'm able to make a trip down there soon.

I also appreciate the insight given on potential areas/neighborhoods to move into. This is a huge help!!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,378,697 times
If you're looking for young adult activity, then I definitely recommend Downtown, Fondren or Belhaven. The number residential units in Downtown have grown dramatically over the past few years, and with that comes more nightlife, restaurants, etc. Fondren and Belhaven are both historic areas of Jackson with local groceries, restaurants, and other amenities, but both have their own distinct feel to them.

Fondren Renaissance Foundation

Greater Belhaven Neighborhood Foundation - Jackson, MS 39202

Overview | Living in Downtown Jackson

Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Thanks again for the info all.

I'm continuing to look into your suggestions. I'm leaning towards getting an apartment right now, based on online, but that's subject to change once I'm able to view the area.

If anyone has any apartment complexes they'd recommend, please keep them coming

Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,094,019 times
In Ridgeland, check out the Pointe, Legacy, and Arbors at Natchez Trace Apts, all three on Rice Rd near the Reservoir and across from the Natzhez Trace Parkway. There are also some condos called Pointe Clear right on the water. Those look pretty affordable and there are probably some for rent if you check around.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Downtown apartments:
King Edward Apartments | Jackson Mississippi
Standard Life Flats | Jackson Mississippi Apartments
Plaza Building Welcome
Electric 308 | Anything Everything Downtown
City View Condominiums | Jackson, Mississippi condominiums featuring Art Deco design
PETERS REAL ESTATE
The Foundry Lofts
Nejam Properties - Jackson's Best and Belhaven's Finest
736 South President Building (Dickies Building) | Market Information & Listings in Downtown Jackson
100 West Capitol | Market Information & Listings in Downtown Jackson
http://www.downtown-jackson.com/imag...ate_Street.pdf

Fondren apartments:
Fondren Corner Residential

Fondren & Belhaven rental properties:
Mississippi Real Estate Solutions - Real Estate Solutions

Fondren and Belhaven are mostly houses, with some being rental properties, and there are some apartment complexes mixed in as well. All 3 areas have great access to both I-55, I-20 and Lakeland Drive/Hwy 25.
Thank you sir. Looking into these!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson