U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM

218 posts, read 719,263 times

Advertisements

What is living like? I know it's a small city, but is there a nightlife scene? An art/music scene? Is there a liberal undercurrent to the younger population or more of a fratboy/yuppie vibe? Are there good, non-chain restaurants? Any kind of weekend events? Finally, what American cities would you compare Jackson to in terms of similarities? My hometown (Richmond, VA) is just a tiny bit bigger, but I don't know if they're similar in terms of feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM

33 posts, read 58,487 times
I just moved here and I am in my 30s... but I could try to help. I have kids so am not worried about the nightlife scene, but there seems to be a good amount of bands and clubs for a city its size. The art scene is thriving with the Mississippi Musuem of Art in Jackson. For a city its size, it does well in nightlife. If you want to take a weekend trip to get real big city nightlife, New Orleans and the Mississippi gulf coast (Gulfport-Biloxi) are about 3 hours away.

Inner city Jackson will have more liberals I would imagine... but remember that this still is the Deep South and most people I know (including myself) are conservatives. But you attract what you put out so you should meet some.

I've been through Richmond many times before, and Jackson is similar, yet very different. I feel much safer in Jackson than in Richmond... as to other cities I would compare Jackson too, Little Rock, Arkansas.

My favorite restaurant here is **** of the Walk, it is a smaller chain, but check out the other restaurants, they're are plenty of good ones.

For someone your age though, Birmingham, Alabama is bigger and more progressive and cosmopolitan than Jackson will likely ever be... So you should consider Birmingham more than Jackson.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the info, it's a great start. I'm applying for a job in Jackson which is why I was wondering. Apparently Fondren and Belhaven are the areas I should be looking into. I just wanted to get an idea of the "city vibe" before I consider this more seriously.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:55 PM

33 posts, read 58,487 times
Wow it thought I was cursing in the post because the restaurant is called Cockk of the Walk (obviously not spelled like that) haha.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,499,835 times
Based on your comments (applying for job in Jackson, looking for area with somewhat of a city vibe), I would recommend living in Belhaven (surrounding Belhaven University) which has the cool cottages and bungalows with front porches,huge trees, sidewalks etc, not far from downtown and next to Millsaps College.

There are some cool neighborhoods in Fondren very similar to Belhaven, especially on the east side of State Street, between State Street and Old Canton Rd just past the "downtown Fondren" area. Fondren has several great places. If you visit, Nick's is a really nice restaurant which is one of the nicest bars in Jackson. This is probably somewhat of a young professional vibe. There's a new Spanish tapas place up the hill called Babalu with outdoor patio, supposedly it's a 2 hour wait to get in which is a good sign if you actually get in. Around the corner from there is Walker's, a cool restaurant, with several others right around there.

Downtown Jackson now has some really nice apartments in newly redeveloped old high-rise and mid-rise buildings. These might be too expensive possibly. Downtown is just starting to be on the rise and might be interesting.

You shouldn't totally discount living off Rice Rd right be the Ross Barnett Reservoir and the Natchez Trace. This area is amazing for biking, walking, running, and boating. There are few restaurants and bars by the water at the Main Harbour Marina area, with more of a dock-side vibe.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM

64 posts, read 202,479 times
Take a weekend, reserve you a room at the King Edward adn come check th ecity out. Go to the clarion ledger online and get a copy of the Weekend guide that comes out on Thursdays. It shows you all the happenings for that particular weeknd. Good luck on the move, hope you enjoy our city.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,958,842 times
I would second making a trip and staying at the King Edward Hotel. You will be able to meet people in their 20's and 30's that live in the building, and I can't speak for all, but I know several people who live there and any of them would be willing to elaborate on things happening, places to go, etc. The hotel bar can be a good place to mingle with the locals.

As for the arts/music scene, there is a great underground scene that is not tied down to any one area necessarily, but its strongest presence is Fondren, Belhaven, Downtown, and Midtown. The nightlife scene is thriving, whether you like rock, blues, jazz, dance, sports, lounge, etc. Most of the nightlife is in/near Downtown, but there are also some venues in North Jackson and along I-55 corridor. The younger population, I would say, is a mix of liberal/yuppie vibe, just depending on what crowds you run with.

We have TONS of great non-chain restaurants, which I feel is one of our city's greatest attributes. The last time I checked, I think we had between 400-500 restaurants in the city (of course not all of those are non-chains). There's always something going on every night of the week in Jackson, I suggest checking out the Jackson Free Press for things happening on a nightly basis.

I've never been to Richmond, so not sure how Jackson compares to there - I would say Little Rock, Memphis, Birmingham, and Baton Rouge are the most similar.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,251,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I would second making a trip and staying at the King Edward Hotel. You will be able to meet people in their 20's and 30's that live in the building, and I can't speak for all, but I know several people who live there and any of them would be willing to elaborate on things happening, places to go, etc. The hotel bar can be a good place to mingle with the locals.

As for the arts/music scene, there is a great underground scene that is not tied down to any one area necessarily, but its strongest presence is Fondren, Belhaven, Downtown, and Midtown. The nightlife scene is thriving, whether you like rock, blues, jazz, dance, sports, lounge, etc. Most of the nightlife is in/near Downtown, but there are also some venues in North Jackson and along I-55 corridor. The younger population, I would say, is a mix of liberal/yuppie vibe, just depending on what crowds you run with.

We have TONS of great non-chain restaurants, which I feel is one of our city's greatest attributes. The last time I checked, I think we had between 400-500 restaurants in the city (of course not all of those are non-chains). There's always something going on every night of the week in Jackson, I suggest checking out the Jackson Free Press for things happening on a nightly basis.

I've never been to Richmond, so not sure how Jackson compares to there - I would say Little Rock, Memphis, Birmingham, and Baton Rouge are the most similar.
Having been to Jackson several times over the years. I would say Montgomery, Baton Rouge, and maybe Huntsville are in the same league.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:11 PM

So I have two updates for this thread. The first is that I have made it to the last round of interviews for the position, but I will either be placed in Jackson, Albuquerque, or Detroit. Secondly, I was in Birmingham this past weekend and thought it was quite similar in "feel" to Richmond, but had considerably less to do. I don't mean this as a slight to the Birmingham area; I just noticed that for two cities quite similar in size, Richmond offers much more in terms of restaurants, cultural opportunities (museums, particularly), and nightlife. People in Birmingham, however, were the nicest I've come across in all my travels across the US. From the bartender I had my first night in town to the random lady at a Rite-Aid to two people who offered me their house when I couldn't find a place to stay, everyone was just so NICE, and not just in a fake way either. I don't attribute this to this South, as I have found people in Atlanta and (occasionally) Memphis to be quite rude. Just wondering: are people in Jackson similarly friendly?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 AM

190 posts, read 583,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
I don't attribute this to this South, as I have found people in Atlanta and (occasionally) Memphis to be quite rude. Just wondering: are people in Jackson similarly friendly?
Atlanta is more of a melting pot and has transplants from all over the country/world. Although I enjoy visiting Atlanta, it isn't what i would consider a true southern city. I haven't spent much time in Memphis, so I can't speak to that. For the most part, people in the Jackson area are very friendly, although you'll run across your share of a-holes in north Jackson and Madison (Madison seems to be fairly confined to the under 40 crowd).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson