Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 35,648 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to this website.

I've actually been in Jackson for several years (I went to college here). I'm out of school now, and most of my good friends have moved away. I'm not from here, so I don't have any childhood friends here either. I find it's so hard to meet people that's close to my age (20s/30s) to hang out with once I start working. I think that most people here in town are from this area (at least the ones I met), so they have friends here that they grew up with/went to school with, and they are not interested in making any new friends. The fact that I don't go to church doesn't help either (I guess that's where a lot of people meet). What are some good places that I can go and meet some potential friends/people to hang out with? I have gones to bars, but honestly I don't really enjoy it a lot. I just don't like spending so much money on drinks while I can make them cheap at home.

I'm planning on joining some volunteer organizations that interest me. Also going to take a salsa dancing class. Hopefully I can meet some people there. I was trying to find some outdoor club/cooking club/movie club here, but had no luck.

If you have any suggestions, or just want someone to hang out with, please let me know! I'm married, so I just want to find some new friends (I'm a female).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM

783 posts, read 2,249,407 times
Jeez if you want an "outdoor club" take up hunting! If your interest is outfdoor life and camping it's not hard to make good friends like that - coon hunting is the golf of MS and there are LOTS of doctors, lawyers and business owners who bond while chasing through the woods in the middle of the night. My cousin raises coon hounds and competes them, which means he meets lots of folks wanting to hunt with his dogs.

That's pretty specific and it's totally not my speed so don't think I'm pimping my sport of choice, it's just the first example that came to mind when you mentioned "outdoor club."

EDIT: oops just noticed that "I'm a female" part. Doh! Never mind the hunting, that's a boys club for sure. I really don't know what married women do down here to stay sane, most I know seem to be teetering on the brink of unsanity. I love Mississippi, but thank god every day I'm not a woman...

Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,378,973 times
I didn't grow up in Jackson either nor do we attend church regularly, but my wife and I have made friends fairly easy here. We have neighbors that we are friends with, and I have some friends from college that live here as well. I have also made friends through work and social events in Downtown, like the Art Remix and Downtown at Dusk, and Fondren, ie Fondren After 5. Outside of that, there are a lot of specific organizations in the Jackson area, you just need to do a little digging. Hobbies are one of the more common ways to meet people with similar interests, for instance there are the Magnolia Roller Vixens - a female roller derby league, numerous yoga studios, art classes, dance classes, non-profit organizations, vegetarians, disc golf, garden clubs, etc.

I did a quick search and found this 31 page document listing Jackson clubs, organizations and support groups:
http://www.jhlibrary.com/reference/m...anizations.pdf

I know of a few clubs/organizations that are not on that list, so there are more out there as well. I hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 35,648 times
Didn't know about the foundren after 5. Will check that out. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,384,564 times
Move to Little Rock.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 15,340 times
Hey I am wondering how your search has been. We are new to the area as well and would love to find some supper or movie clubs or just some fun people to make new friends with. Shoot me and email if you would like. kissmek2009@hotmail.com Hope to hear from you

Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,550 times
Hi I know this post is a little old however my husband and I just moved to the area and we're looking for new friends to hang out with.If you're still looking for friends let me know. Take Care!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,484,885 times
Does Jackson have any meetup groups on Meetup.com? I don't know that much about it, but have friends here that are members of different meetup groups. Basically, it's a way for people from a given area to get together around a common interest (eating sushi, bicycling, running, scrapbooking, whatever). Check that out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson