U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM

13,985 posts, read 18,793,473 times

Advertisements

I am fully aware of the "What happened to Jackson" thread but I want to spark a different conversation. Being from LA, I have a connection to MS and get just as angry when people bash the state. But what if Jackson had flourished more in the early 1900s? What if Jackson took Atlanta's current role? What about the current state of Gulfport/Biloxi and if it was a higher vacation destination that it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM

470 posts, read 691,009 times
if a frog had wings he would not bump his *** every time he jumps either.

seriously though, there are a lot of things that could have been done differently in this state years ago that may or may not would result in it being better than it is. there is no way to go back and change things to see. Greenville was such a booming town in the 50's/60's that they projected the population would be well over 250,000 people by the year 2000. the tow boat industry started dying in the early 90's, other industries soon left as well. it never officially got over 50k!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:51 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,990,581 times
Atlanta, Mobile, Birmingham - these towns and others managed to work through their racial issues, and realized that everyone succeeds together or everyone sinks together. A lesson that seems lost on MS.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM

JP, you are correct in a way. the older whites still have racial issues, and the blacks(a large portion but by no means all of them) have racial issues against the whites. it goes both ways and BOTH sides have to realize the time has past to let it go and move on.

the one thing i will say is that a lot of folks think MS is the only racially divide place left in the US. in all reality our problems here are no more prevalent nor any different than they are in ANY place in the US. the only place that does not have race issues would be a place that has only a single race living in it, and that in and of itself could be perceived to be due to racism.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 PM

no, MS lost it's economy about 100 years later than that. Sure there was a HUGE change after the Civil War, but for the most part MS had a decent economy during the 1900's. the problem was it was nearly all agriculturally based and as food/clothing crops began to shift over seas or to other parts of the country it hurt here.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM

76 posts, read 84,799 times
What makes any of you think Birmingham, Atlanta or Mobile are any better than Jackson or Biloxi? And if so, in what ways, because I don't see anything in any of those cities that appealing.
And race is no more of an issue here than anywhere else, as a matter of fact, MS has to be one of the most racially integrated states I've ever seen. Blacks and White intermingle everywhere. Come see the suburbs of Milwaukee if you want to see segregation. If anything, the rest of the US could learn a lesson from MS. Remember, we have more black elected officials than any other state.
In answer to the original post "what if"; I would'nt want Jackson to be anything like Atlanta, or anywhere else for that matter...becoming a plastic imitation of somewhere else should be avoided at all costs. Regarding the Gulf Coast, prior to gambling in 92, the coast played host to 1 million visitors a year, now its at 10+ million a year, so I think it is doing just fine, however, it was on the cusp to explode in development pre-Katrina. The hurricane has thwarted The Coasts growth somewhat, but who knows...this could be a blessing is disguise.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,990,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeluksee View Post
What makes any of you think Birmingham, Atlanta or Mobile are any better than Jackson or Biloxi? And if so, in what ways, because I don't see anything in any of those cities that appealing.
A metro area with no entertainment areas, no arena to attract talent, a reservoir and river with almost no public access. As far as commercial is concerned, Rankin, Madison, and Jackson spend all their time trying to attract and steal away the same tenants, instead of working together to share the wealth and trying to bring in new blood. Let's build a best buy in madison even though there's another one 2 miles away on Jackson.

Crabs in a barrel...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 AM

13,985 posts, read 18,793,473 times
I'm not meaning copying the city, I mean a better diverse economy and a better respected state as a whole. Birmingham is doing really well right now, I find that attractive, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or