U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 PM

38 posts, read 78,505 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to the Jackson area. I am looking into jobs in the Jackson Public School District. I know the areas around Jackson are where everyone says to live instead of in Jackson. We are a mixed race married couple, I am white and he is black. In regards to my questions about housing we are looking a mixed race area.

1. My husband works in a furniture factory now, and we are wondering if there are production type jobs around the area. He would be willing to commute at most 45 minutes each way. Could you tell any of them?

2. We have a four year child that would need a daycare or head start program, can you recommend some?

3. Are there areas to fish? We are fine with pay lakes on private land (that is what we have here.) Also hunting areas for the winter?

4. We would need to rent a house, a 2-3 BR at no more than 700 a month, is that reasonable? Where would we get the most for our money in renting? Could you recommend a company or person that could help us fine a house to rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM

119 posts, read 309,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebottom View Post
Are there areas to fish? We are fine with pay lakes on private land (that is what we have here.) Also hunting areas for the winter?
You can fish Ross R. Barnett Reservoir which is right by Jackson. There are some boat rental shops on the reservoir, or you can have your own boat and launch it from the public launches. As for hunting, head to the Delta. The Delta is where I grew up, and is wonderful for hunting. It is not that far from Jackson, a few hours, but it well worth a weekend trip.

Can't help with the other questions, sorry! But just wait and someone on this forum will! Enjoy your time in Jackson

Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM

579 posts, read 1,163,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebottom View Post
We are thinking of relocating to the Jackson area. I am looking into jobs in the Jackson Public School District. I know the areas around Jackson are where everyone says to live instead of in Jackson. We are a mixed race married couple, I am white and he is black. In regards to my questions about housing we are looking a mixed race area.

1. My husband works in a furniture factory now, and we are wondering if there are production type jobs around the area. He would be willing to commute at most 45 minutes each way. Could you tell any of them?

2. We have a four year child that would need a daycare or head start program, can you recommend some?

3. Are there areas to fish? We are fine with pay lakes on private land (that is what we have here.) Also hunting areas for the winter?

4. We would need to rent a house, a 2-3 BR at no more than 700 a month, is that reasonable? Where would we get the most for our money in renting? Could you recommend a company or person that could help us fine a house to rent?

Answer: You can look in the far south Jackson area as well as Byram community for a home for rent around that price range. Byram caters mostly to homeowners but you may find some homes out there for rent. I'm pretty sure you can find something in South Jackson but make sure it's south of Savannah Street.

Answer: His commute time will be far shorter than 45 mins if you choose a home in the South Jackson/Byram area, they have a great number of Industrial plants out in that area ranging from 10 or more. Jackson also has an industrial park with several jobs over there. Only commute I see past 45 would be Nissan in Canton.

Answer: If she is 4 she may be eligible for Pre-K in which if you start working for JPS, she can attend the school you're working at.

Answer: Plenty of lakes around the Byram area but not sure if they are public or private. I do know my brother and others go out to the Ross Barnett Reservoir to fish.

Answer: No that's not bad you may even find one cheaper. Search hotpads.com or craigslist and watch out for scams. If every time you call about a house their telling you that one is not available but go to their website and check out their other properties, then mainly their running false ads just to get people directed to their website. Good Luck on your move

Old 06-03-2011, 08:32 AM

38 posts, read 78,505 times
Thanks for the replies. Would you happen to know the name of the any of the companies in South Jackson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or