U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,959 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Jackson, MS this fall. We plan on living in either Madison or Ridgeland. Wondering how things are for interacial couples in this area? We are coming from Seattle where anything goes...but we have lived in small towns in Texas and Virginia and never had any issues.

I'm excited for the move because I am originally from Florida miss the south like you can't believe!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM

190 posts, read 584,476 times
I don't think you will have any problems in Madison or Ridgeland.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 PM

11,463 posts, read 7,458,535 times
Around here we call it a mixed marriage when one of you is Republican and the other a Democrat!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. Ironically we are a mixed marriage (one democrat and one republician) .

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 PM

11,463 posts, read 7,458,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoo View Post
Thanks for the replies. Ironically we are a mixed marriage (one democrat and one republician) .
OK. But the REAL problem arises when one of you favors Ole Miss and the other favors State. That is called "irreconcilable" and is grounds for..............buying another TV.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM

231 posts, read 469,351 times
Default Interracial couple relocating to Jackson, Ms.

Yeah, I have a lot of experience being in a mixed marriage. I'm from Alabama and married a girl from Tennessee. I knew when I married her there would be problems, but I went ahead and did it anyway. Ever since I have been forced to check out every location we move to to ascertain whether we will be accepted there. Generally, she has been accepted while I haven't. This lack of acceptance cannot possibly stem from my lack of social grace, but is certainly because of the mixed marriage aspects.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 PM

64 posts, read 202,810 times
Welcome to the area. You might get a strange look every now and then but I think the mind set is changing.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 AM

11,684 posts, read 17,096,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8 r8z View Post
Welcome to the area. You might get a strange look every now and then but I think the mind set is changing.

and those looks would if anything come from old hickey white guys or young black girls with self esteem issues.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 11,163 times
Default Mixed Couple

I'm white, my husband is black and we've got two gorgeous kids ;-) We've have lived in Clinton MS for over five years and have never had any problems. Madison and Ridgeland are about the same. Good luck with the move!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGurl20022 View Post
I'm white, my husband is black and we've got two gorgeous kids ;-) We've have lived in Clinton MS for over five years and have never had any problems. Madison and Ridgeland are about the same. Good luck with the move!
Thank you, I am surprised at myself for being worried about this. We wen't out there recently to look at homes and noone even looked at us sideways...this included a couple trips to downtown restaurants etc. Looking forward to the move and ready to enjoy some better weather than we have in Seattle:-)

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson