U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM

11,558 posts, read 7,525,488 times

Advertisements

H Ross Perot, the billionaire, worked during high school. But so did nearly every manual laborer you meet.

Working during high school, by itself, is not the issue; the issue is the disposition of the proceeds. And in this case (car, cellphone, shopping, help Mom) it does not bode well for the original poster.

It is very possible to trade your future for the pleasure of a few years of seeming to get ahead. At first, it's great. But then you can easily find yourself trapped in a situation where you have obligations and must work to meet those commitments. At that point you will become little more than a slave.

And almost no one recovers from the hourly pay mentality and the accompanying hand-to-mouth existence. Your world forever revolves around payday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,706,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
H Ross Perot, the billionaire, worked during high school. But so did nearly every manual laborer you meet.

Working during high school, by itself, is not the issue; the issue is the disposition of the proceeds. And in this case (car, cellphone, shopping, help Mom) it does not bode well for the original poster.

It is very possible to trade your future for the pleasure of a few years of seeming to get ahead. At first, it's great. But then you can easily find yourself trapped in a situation where you have obligations and must work to meet those commitments. At that point you will become little more than a slave.

And almost no one recovers from the hourly pay mentality and the accompanying hand-to-mouth existence. Your world forever revolves around payday.
I'm going to disagree with this one. I grew up in a family that, while never "poor", we weren't wealthy either. My dad was laid off in the recession of the early 80's, and my mom's secretary pay wasn't that much. But we recovered.

I got jobs in high school for the exact reasons listed by the OP. I interpreted the OP's "help Mom" statement to simply mean that instead of covering the OP's "extra" expenses (cell phone, date money, etc.), Mom could use her income to pay bills and buy food. None of my income in high school helped pay the mortgage, but because of my income I was able to put gas in my car and pay for movies and other things so my parents didn't have to.

Also, my dad insisted that I get a JOB. I could work a desk after college, but before then I was going to WORK. I cut pulp-wood, drove a tractor, ran a welder, herded cattle, hauled hay, scraped a roof off a house, did rough carpentry, etc. In retrospect I'm glad for this because I knew that if I didn't get a scholarship for college it's what I would be doing for the rest of my life. My last two years of high school saw much better grades, even with the extra jobs, than my first two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or