U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,504 times

Advertisements

i just turned 15 and im looking for a job in jackson to save up for a car and other things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,873,272 times
I think you need a workers permit first before you can get a job at 15.

mas23

Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 PM

i can get that

Old 09-06-2011, 11:51 AM

10,866 posts, read 7,102,704 times
Here's my advice:

First read this
Quote:
But thereís a bigger trend we should be worried about. What jobs exist are held by older Americans. The unemployment rate for teens is 25.4%. For workers aged 20 to 24, itís 14.8%. Compare that with the 55-and-older category, which is at 6.6% and hasnít topped 7.5% since the recession began.
I know you want a car. And I know you want other things. But in my lifetime I have seen many, many, young people start innocently off to work...and ruin their lives.

When we older folks want something we save or invest until we have waaaaay more money than the thing costs. For instance, if I wanted a car that costs $20,000 I wouldn't buy it until I had $30,000. That way I would never run out of money.

You should concentrate on what it is you are going to do with your life that will enable you to buy the things that you will want later. I have seen people a lot older than you who have no particular education or skills, and their path down this road of 'unpreparedness' nearly always started by going to work early and then falling into the trap of owing money on the things that they bought and not being able to continue their education!

Re-read the above clip, which was taken from today's news. The way to get a good job is to displace or replace someone who is older, and that person will be well qualified in his field. Auto mechanics, teaching, health care, air conditioning, electrician......there are many many opportunities for an enterprising and trained young person.

I was like you once. I thought I was going to die if I didn't get a car. There are many ways to start yourself off in life, and several pitfalls, too.

Feel free to PM if you like.....

Old 09-06-2011, 02:53 PM

9,384 posts, read 14,709,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Here's my advice:

First read this

I know you want a car. And I know you want other things. But in my lifetime I have seen many, many, young people start innocently off to work...and ruin their lives.

When we older folks want something we save or invest until we have waaaaay more money than the thing costs. For instance, if I wanted a car that costs $20,000 I wouldn't buy it until I had $30,000. That way I would never run out of money.

You should concentrate on what it is you are going to do with your life that will enable you to buy the things that you will want later. I have seen people a lot older than you who have no particular education or skills, and their path down this road of 'unpreparedness' nearly always started by going to work early and then falling into the trap of owing money on the things that they bought and not being able to continue their education!

Re-read the above clip, which was taken from today's news. The way to get a good job is to displace or replace someone who is older, and that person will be well qualified in his field. Auto mechanics, teaching, health care, air conditioning, electrician......there are many many opportunities for an enterprising and trained young person.

I was like you once. I thought I was going to die if I didn't get a car. There are many ways to start yourself off in life, and several pitfalls, too.

Feel free to PM if you like.....
This is very good advice. My parents used to say, you have all your life to be an adult, but your childhood and youth are limited. enjoy it while you can.

Very god advice not to get caught in the debt trap too soon!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM

i just want an acura integra, pay my cellphone bill, help my mom out a lil and shop once or twice a month

Old 09-07-2011, 04:25 AM

139 posts, read 473,670 times
deliver the newspaper, baby sit, gardening service

Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 AM

452 posts, read 686,070 times
Good for you!!! wanting to get a job at age 15. I would suggest getting your permit first if you really want to get a tax paying job. If you want to do what I did growing up is let everyone know in your neighborhood that you want to pick up odd jobs and work for money. This way you can pick up odd jobs without having to pay taxes unlike going to McDonalds and needing to get transportation to and from. I believe the problem now a days is people don't want to work and expect others to pay for it or want to make a quick buck and become a millionaire overnight. You have time to figure out what you want to do with life but just a quick interjection if you want something steady look at the trades (air conditioning, etc.) Good Luck hope this helps and Congratulations for wanting to do something with your life at such a young age when other kids your age want to just play video games. Keep up this work ethic and you will go far!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 PM

107 posts, read 333,403 times
Default Jobs for 15 Year Olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaridgaf View Post
i just want an acura integra, pay my cellphone bill, help my mom out a lil and shop once or twice a month

Buy a lawnmower and go to your neighbors and ask to mow their lawns. You won't make the kind of money you want though - but you shouldn't expect to. You are 15. Buying an Acura Integra, paying the cellphone bill, etc, etc are adult expenses, requiring an adult's income. You aren't there yet.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to grow up. You'll get there. Meanwhile, be satisfied with the things that children can afford, who work for a child's wage. Yes, you are a child, and you will be one until you are 18 (at least). - Just the way it is.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,504,083 times
I agree with others here--an Acura, cellphone, shopping twice a month --for what? clothes, music, gadgets??--and giving mom something is a pretty big undertaking for a 15 yr. old. It could control your time and focus.

Better to train and get ready for life and let the stuff wait. Use your time to study and prepare for a successful working life and you will be ahead of the game. It is a matter of two or three years that could change the direction of your future.

Do some babysitting or lawn work for loose change--but to support what you are talking about is too much time--cars require maintenance, gas, and fees--you probably won't listen but the advice is yours to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or