U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 PM

15 posts, read 14,448 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving from Houston to Jackson for my husbands job. We have a 5 month old son and are trying to figure out the best neighborhoods to buy a house. Our price range is $200,000-$300,000.

We currently live in an upscale, but eclectic neighborhood, that is very much in the heart of Houston. I would love to find something similar in Jackson. So far, I am most attracted to the Belhaven neighborhood. However, I keep reading about the "rampant" crime that seems to be everywhere inside the Jackson city limits. Is this a tad blown out of proportion? Living near downtown Houston, you definitely have to be smart about safety, but I still feel very safe in our neighborhood. Is this a similar feeling that I should have about Belhaven?

I keep hearing about Madison for families. I'm sure it is lovely, but I have never been terribly fond of cookie cutter suburbs. Is this an accurate representation of Madison?

I just want to find the best place for our family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 17,564 times
Madison, MS is your best bet. It is definitely a cookie cutter type neighborhood, but the houses are well kept-up and will maintain their value. Also, the public schools are among the top performing in the state.

The exact opposite can be said for Bellhaven. There is no question, Bellhaven has more character than Madison, but the crime rivals Mogadishu or Khartoum. Also, the caliber of neighbor you find inside the Jackson city limits leaves much to be desired...unless you appreciate being in close proximity to gentlemen's clubs. Also, the Jackson Public Schools have produced some of the most heralded drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes since the prohibition era of the 1920s!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,499,277 times
Belhaven is fabulous and safe, Jackson's inside the loop neighborhood. The Eastover area and adjacent neighborhoods are similar to Houston's Memorial area. Madison is similar to the Woodlands. The Northshore of the Reservoir in Rankin County is perhaps Jackson's Clear Lake.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM

64 posts, read 202,439 times
Brickpatio always gives good info. Spot on. I personally live in Madison and love it. Great homes, great schools, good goverment. But it is a more modern town with developments being very similar in architecture. It's hard to stand out for sure.
As for Belhaven, it's a safe area. It's just everything around it that hurts it's reputation.

Good luck with the move.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM

48 posts, read 138,131 times
We currently live in the Houston area and will be moving to Madison next summer. We are very excited it!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 PM

15 posts, read 14,448 times
I really appreciate the very helpful information from everyone. And thank you brickpatio for speaking in terms that I completely understand. In Houston, we live in the Heights and love the hodge podge of charming Arts and Crafts bungalows, Victorian mansions, local businesses, galleries, etc. This is why Belhaven looks so familiar and welcoming to me. We will definitely be looking there.

In Houston, I grew up in Memorial, and so your comment comparing it to the Eastover area has peaked my interest. However, it seems that Eastover proper may be out of our price range. Specifically, what are the names of other "Memorial-like" neighborhoods that you mentioned are adjacent to Eastover?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,499,277 times
Eastover is pricey but check out the adjacent neighborhoods. Basically anything along Ridgewood Rd from Lakeland Drive up to Jackson Academy which is at the corner of Ridgewood and Sheffield.

For example if you take Northside Drive exit and go east until it ends backing up to the Pearl River, this is a great area with plenty of affordable homes built in the 60s and 70s and 80s. It's hilly and wooded back in there, feels very established.

Belhaven is full of doctors, lawyers, professors, med students and everything in between. It's surrounded by Millsaps College, the University Medical Center, downtown, and neighboring Fondren with it's unique bars, coffee shops, and restaurants.

Another cool area is near the Jackson Yacht Club. There are very nice, mostly newer neighborhoods in that general vicinity along Rice Rd in Ridgeland and where Rice Rd curves northward under the Natchez Trace into Madison, with some homes in your price range. A big plus in this area is being near the water and the great bike and walking trails near the Trace and convenient to high end shopping in Ridgeland and Madison near I-55

Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM

64 posts, read 202,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Another cool area is near the Jackson Yacht Club. There are very nice, mostly newer neighborhoods in that general vicinity along Rice Rd in Ridgeland and where Rice Rd curves northward under the Natchez Trace into Madison, with some homes in your price range. A big plus in this area is being near the water and the great bike and walking trails near the Trace and convenient to high end shopping in Ridgeland and Madison near I-55
Tavern Hills

Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,958,446 times
Fondren is another area similar to Belhaven (and just north of Belhaven) - the big difference being that Fondren has its own small "downtown" district with a grocery, restaurants, coffee shops, retail, etc. You can easily find a house in your price range there. $150k on the low end up to $1M+.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM

190 posts, read 583,320 times
Just me, but with a family first approach, I would look at the Brandon area. I prefer the reservoir Brandon area as opposed to old Brandon. I currently live in Madison. There are things I like about it and also dislikes. If we decide to move in the near future, we would definitely head to the Brandon-reservoir area or Gluckstadt (unicorporated area of Madison County just north of the Madison city limits). If you want crime info on Jackson, you can search crime stats below by precinct and map. I lived inside the Jackson city limits about 5-6 years ago, but wouldn't now, in part due to the crime, but also due to the poor infrasctructure, city leadership, and taxes.

Official City of Jackson, Mississippi Website - <font color=#AAC4E5>Crime Reports</font>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson