U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 PM

48 posts, read 138,159 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to Madison in June and we're beginning to check out different cable/Internet providers. How is Uverse in the area? We had it here in the Houston area a couple years ago and had nothing but trouble with it. However, I have talked to people in other areas that liked it. Does anyone on here have any experience with uverse in the Jackson area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 01:54 PM

Anybody? OK, so if you don't use UVerse, who do you use and would you recommend them? I looked up Comcast and they had horrible reviews in the area. How about Dish or DirecTV?

I'm just trying to get prepared. I know I have some time but wanted to get reviews while I was thinking about it. THANKS again

Old 01-14-2012, 07:02 PM

107 posts, read 336,557 times
Default Uverse

AT&T Uverse isn't available in the Madison suburbs where I live. Just outside the city limits on the north of town. So I use AT&T DSL for my internet connection. I have no use for DirectTV, etc - since I get all of my TV and movie programming off of the internet via Netflix, Hulu.com, Amazon.com, and yourtvseries.net. - Why pay big bucks for what's free or much cheaper on the internet.

When I first moved here, I had Comcast - but their poor quality is now legendary, and so I changed to DSL about a year ago. AT&T DSL is okay, though not perfect, I have the 6 Gigabytes service and it streams movies and programs extremely well.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the info. We aren't officially in Madison either - Gluckstadt actually but with Madison just a ear's shot away. I did a search on the UVerse site and it said we were in their programming area so maybe I need to call to confirm.

I wonder if Comcast is bad everywhere. It's awful here too.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcamcin View Post
Thanks for the info. We aren't officially in Madison either - Gluckstadt actually but with Madison just a ear's shot away. I did a search on the UVerse site and it said we were in their programming area so maybe I need to call to confirm.

Yeah, Comcast has a universally bad reputation - which is probably why the recent "name change" to Xfinity. So far xfinity seems to be "more of the same" though.

I live in the Gluckstadt area - in Providence Subdivision. There are a lot of newer subdivisions in the Gluckstadt area. It's not a bad place to live at all. You will do most of your day-to-day shopping at Colony Crossing and vicinity about 10 minutes away.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 68,481 times
Quote:

Welcome! Gluckstadt is a great place to be! Comcast was awful here when we first moved here 3 years ago so we dropped it and use the internet. Its a lot cheaper and WAY better! Good Luck.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill O'Blarney View Post
Yeah, Comcast has a universally bad reputation - which is probably why the recent "name change" to Xfinity. So far xfinity seems to be "more of the same" though.

I live in the Gluckstadt area - in Providence Subdivision. There are a lot of newer subdivisions in the Gluckstadt area. It's not a bad place to live at all. You will do most of your day-to-day shopping at Colony Crossing and vicinity about 10 minutes away.
We're really looking forward to it! When we first started looking, we knew we wanted to live in Madison because of the schools. We didn't realize till after we'd been out a couple of times that gluckstadt even existed as a town, thought it was just a road, lol. We're glad the one house that fit us perfectly happened to be in Gluckstadt. Now it seems we have the best of both - great schools and no city taxes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiruss View Post
Welcome! Gluckstadt is a great place to be! Comcast was awful here when we first moved here 3 years ago so we dropped it and use the internet. Its a lot cheaper and WAY better! Good Luck.
Thank you! Second recommendation for internet, looks like I may need to check into it!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Default Local Television

Quote:
We're really looking forward to it! When we first started looking, we knew we wanted to live in Madison because of the schools. We didn't realize till after we'd been out a couple of times that gluckstadt even existed as a town, thought it was just a road, lol. We're glad the one house that fit us perfectly happened to be in Gluckstadt. Now it seems we have the best of both - great schools and no city taxes!

Thank you! Second recommendation for internet, looks like I may need to check into it!
--------------------------

I should have added that in addition to using the internet for programming, I also installed a small inexpensive attic antennae for excellent reception of the several local television stations for the local weather report, local news, etc. - It's useful to have that when there are storms, school closings, etc to keep up with.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,974,981 times
Live in North Jackson, I-220 and Hanging Moss. I've had Comcast Internet for years and outside of a couple of outages, have never had any problems with it. By "outage" I mean it was down for a few hours, probably because of a cut cable somewhere. I have had outages with my land-line phone service, so that means DSL wouldn't be any better in that regard.

Sorry to sound like a shill for Comcast, but as far as internet is concerned it's been trouble-free for me. Plus it's noticeably faster than DSL (compared to using my mother's DSL service in Philly). The problem is that Comcast is certainly the most expensive internet provider.

I looked into Uverse for my house a year back - my house was just too far from their box and AT&T wouldn't connect me. Other houses in my development would be fine. Don't know if they have added boxes since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or