U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM

8,609 posts, read 8,614,769 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, MI is the postal abbreviation for "Michigan". There is a Jackson, Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 PM

137 posts, read 262,512 times
@Mouldy Old Schmo - I don't know how I missed that in the title but not in my main post. Odd.

@Rayinhawaii - I went home last year for a visit and that pretty much confirmed that I will hopefully never have to live there again. It is so different for me when I visited there since I lived my entire adult life abroad in various places (big cities Seoul, Honolulu, etc.).

And oh my god, Jackson (my hometown) is so so very messed up! It totally shocked me and honestly made me a bit sad. I still can't figure out what happened to Jackson. I don't know if it was just that I was young when I was there and didn't notice it but I swear I do not remember Jackson being THAT run down.

I miss having dogs and open spaces but as Sierradog posted it is so extremely slow there. And everything is so spaced out. I must have drove almost 40 miles every single day just going from place to place. I never drive that far here in HI. And isolating too since I never kept up with any of my HS friends, I felt so lonely during my visit there. I made friends with random people and it was ok but still strange to me. At least I considered moving back home, now I don't feel bad at all when family asks if I will ever come back "home". Sorry, but never.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:21 AM

1,031 posts, read 958,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright1 View Post
And oh my god, Jackson (my hometown) is so so very messed up! It totally shocked me and honestly made me a bit sad. I still can't figure out what happened to Jackson.
It's the Detriot of the south. Decent people have left.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 AM

772 posts, read 745,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
It's the Detriot of the south. Decent people have left.
Oh so that's why Fondren is booming, and their annual Christmas get together had so many people there. And there are already decent people living in Fondren. Oh it's also why Fondren and Belhaven catch their criminals, and that's why the 2 communities should just have their own police forces.

What are you expecting a crime free haven? Sorry it doesn't exist. Jackson is good if you look in the right places, but just don't go looking for Hawkins-Butler worthy stuff like overdone grocery stores and having every store, every dentistry, every street corner, every nook, & every cranny lined with rows of columns like we're playing Washington, D.C. dress up.

Nope, Jackson doesn't play dress up, Jackson stays true to itself and their citizens.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Oh so that's why Fondren is booming, and their annual Christmas get together had so many people there. And there are already decent people living in Fondren. Oh it's also why Fondren and Belhaven catch their criminals, and that's why the 2 communities should just have their own police forces.

What are you expecting a crime free haven? Sorry it doesn't exist. Jackson is good if you look in the right places, but just don't go looking for Hawkins-Butler worthy stuff like overdone grocery stores and having every store, every dentistry, every street corner, every nook, & every cranny lined with rows of columns like we're playing Washington, D.C. dress up.

Nope, Jackson doesn't play dress up, Jackson stays true to itself and their citizens.
Oh well in that case I stand corrected. I'm going to pack up my family and move to jackson! I better hurry so I can beat the mad exodus into Jackson! Thanks for setting me straight!

Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Oh well in that case I stand corrected. I'm going to pack up my family and move to jackson! I better hurry so I can beat the mad exodus into Jackson! Thanks for setting me straight!
You can live wherever you please, that isn't the point! The point is, for a person to TRULY name Jackson the South's Detroit, you would have to take in to consideration the DESERTION that's in Detroit, Michigan. Have you ever stopped and looked to see just how many things are abandoned in Detroit?

Whole fire stations are boarded up in some neighborhoods! 10-20 blocks of houses ALL are boarded up from end to end. Fire crews are called out DAILY to put out fires in these abandoned homes.

Does Jackson and Detroit have a large homeless population? Yes, but what big city doesn't have a homeless problem?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:53 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post

...just don't go looking for Hawkins-Butler worthy stuff like overdone grocery stores and having every store, every dentistry, every street corner, every nook, & every cranny lined with rows of columns like we're playing Washington, D.C. dress up.

Oh, yes... those rows of columns... Like the two here on Madison's new Circle 7/Beagle Bagle building? http://www.circle7online.com/uploads/images/contactpage/IMG_2120.jpg
I suppose two brick posts could be considered a "row of columns"??? Is that what you mean?

Or maybe you're talking about this new bank? Ye gadz! There are columns holding up the drive-thru! That is, if you consider square brick posts to be 'columns'. http://www.lincolnbuilders.com/images/news/big/68.jpg

Or maybe on Poole Cosmetic Dentistry? https://www.practicedock.com/admin/i...87loc_img2.jpg I don't see any columns at all. But maybe you can. After all, it's a phallic image (in some people's minds) if it's taller than it's wide, and maybe it's a column, too (and maybe a column is a phallic image, to you, and that's why you find them threatening.). Oh well, here's a song about that, from about the time when glorious, column-free architecture like beautiful Jackson Mall http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1UDHDXtGhH...n_6_091012.jpg was being constructed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBIaZ9aTWco To someone who's had negative experiences with phalli - or someone who maybe is inadequate in that regard (there's a Freudian term about that, ending with 'envy') - Jackson Mall is certainly an oasis of column-free(ness). And if being bland and ugly is what it takes to be "true to itself", then Jackson Mall is a paragon of truth.

Be thankful that you Jacksonians don't have to suffer the indignity of shopping in a grocery store that's "too nice". I'm sure they totally suffer, when shopping at this Madison Kroger:http://www.pickeringfirm.com/news/wp.../Kroger_08.jpg. , when they could be shopping in temples of gorgeousness, like this Kroger on Jackson's beautiful Frontage Road: http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bpho...NcCaNXzg/l.jpg In fact, Heaven forbid anything should ever be nice.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 12-04-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Jackson is anti-columns. Columns somehow represent a lifestyle that's too good for Jackson residents. Or something.

The point is JACKSON IS GROWING AND SUCCESSFUL!!! YIPPIE!!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM

At least they SAVED the Jackson Mall from becoming a shell of nothing like it's successor the MetroCenter Mall! Considering one of you guys live out on the West Coast and the other hides out in Madison, I'm not sure which opinion is of any relevance!

Okay, so the one that lives in Madison, maybe you see the news. But have you noticed the crime stays in one general area?! Doesn't really reach beyond the other side of the Woodrow Wilson bridge. But like I've said MANY MANY times, Jackson is just like every other city and it has it's bad sides and it's good sides.

Jackson's bad sides are west of Veteran's Memorial Stadium over by the Jackson Zoo. Most of that area where the Zoo is is all pretty terrible. Another bad side is everything south of State Street after crossing the railroad tracks all the way down to Byram.

Jackson's GOOD sides are pretty laid out! Belhaven, Belhaven Heights, Fondren, Eastover, Leftover, Northeast Jackson, and the central Downtown area.

But also, the Jackson Police Department is a JOKE and also contributes to so many unsolved and uninvestigated crimes. That's why I suggested earlier that Belhaven and Fondren should just have their own police forces because when those two areas DO have minor crimes, the criminals are caught that DAY.

Like I said before, Jackson is just as swell as Ridgeland and Madison if you know where to move to. Don't move out over by Lake Hico and expect everything to be fine! That's called looking in all the wrong places! If you come to Jackson, you need to know where to go and where NOT to go.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:33 PM

I realize Jackson isn't THAT bad but you make it sound as if there are not huge problems with the city overall. It's a dumpster fire compared to other cities in the surrounding area. Poor schools, incompetent mayor, poor planning, infrastructure problems, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson