U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times

Advertisements

Of course, the Eastover District, and the much ballyhooed Whole Foods at Highland Village, were too far along to cancel, when Jacktown turned into Lumumbaland.

Oh, why do I start hearing Tammy Wynette singing 'All Aboard for Moo Moo Land', every time I hear 'Chokwe Lumumba' or 'Lumumbaland'? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjggN-KByI In fact, I've started calling Jackson 'Moo Moo Land'. The "booming" Jackson in some people's heads is every bit as mythical as is KLF's imaginary, far-off world.

KLF could remake the song, though, and call it 'All Aboard for Lumumbaland'. Tammy's gone: but maybe they could recruit Charlotte Reeves... Jackson businesswoman beaten, robbed | Jackson News - WAPT Home (it is worthy of note that Mrs. Reeves has repeatedly run for Jackson's Mayoral Office: so, one has to wonder about the timing of the mugger and the blacked-out street lights. Possibly, an effort to intimidate her? In any event, her experience offers an accurately painted little vignette of what it's like to try to function inside Jacktown/Lumumbaland/Moo Moo Land)

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 10-28-2013 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 AM

772 posts, read 746,010 times
You know GG, you are the true definition of a person that fled Jackson along ago for the suburbs. You hide out in your suburban home and DOG every aspect of Jackson. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Jackson is in the top 10 states for entrepreneurs to come to. Have you even bothered looking and seeing that Jackson is the 35th in economic vitality. Or what about reading the book The End of the Suburbs, which I might add holds up for BOTH Ridgeland and Madison.

Ridgeland's schools are going down. The area where Northpark Mall is is DYING. What about Madison? Oh yeah, be sure not to get robbed a bank there, or KIDNAPPED while walking to your car at Walgreen's. Try not to get your house broken into in Reunion. Oh and with the Outlets of Mississippi opening in Pearl? Yeahhh, get ready for that suburb to fall too.

People like you can't STAND the fact that Jackson is making a comeback. So you revert to completely dogging the city. You're stuck with the Jackson from the early 1990s, when gang activity was RIPE, and crime was everywhere. Sorry, that isn't the same Jackson as the Jackson of today. Sure, do we have problems still to fix? YES, but at least we can admit to our problems unlike Miss Mary Hawkins-Butler, who seems to coat everything in a VAT of sugar.

This is why I have always said I love Madison for it's historical value, but that is it.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 AM

1,031 posts, read 958,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post

People like you can't STAND the fact that Jackson is making a comeback.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's hilarious. You're in denial or just completely delusional!

Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's hilarious. You're in denial or just completely delusional!
No I'm pretty sure the delusional one is Mary Hawkins-Butler.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:43 AM

1,031 posts, read 958,654 times
Yes, a beloved mayor who cares about her city. Yes, clearly she's delusional. You're ridiculous.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:25 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Quote:
You know GG, you are the true definition of a person that fled Jackson along ago for the suburbs. You hide out in your suburban home and DOG every aspect of Jackson. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Jackson is in the top 10 states for entrepreneurs to come to. Have you even bothered looking and seeing that Jackson is the 35th in economic vitality. Or what about reading the book The End of the Suburbs, which I might add holds up for BOTH Ridgeland and Madison.

Ridgeland's schools are going down. The area where Northpark Mall is is DYING. What about Madison? Oh yeah, be sure not to get robbed a bank there, or KIDNAPPED while walking to your car at Walgreen's. Try not to get your house broken into in Reunion. Oh and with the Outlets of Mississippi opening in Pearl? Yeahhh, get ready for that suburb to fall too.

People like you can't STAND the fact that Jackson is making a comeback. So you revert to completely dogging the city. You're stuck with the Jackson from the early 1990s, when gang activity was RIPE, and crime was everywhere. Sorry, that isn't the same Jackson as the Jackson of today. Sure, do we have problems still to fix? YES, but at least we can admit to our problems unlike Miss Mary Hawkins-Butler, who seems to coat everything in a VAT of sugar.

This is why I have always said I love Madison for it's historical value, but that is it.
I have a big meeting in nine hours, and need to get off the Stairmaster and into bed, and so can only spare a few minutes to respond. But do you realize that Jackson (with the exception of Downtown) is, itself, just a (vast) collection of suburbs? If that silly little New Urbanist book you referenced offers a true vision of the future, then Jacktown is in trouble. Even the Boyd House was an 'Urban Farm', for Heavens' sake!

As for the area around Ridgeland's mall DYING... what are you talking about? Maybe the races have switched-around, but it was thriving, last time we drove through. Affluent-but-not-rich young Black people have replaced the Affluent-but-not-rich young whites who used to live there, to some extent - and that silly, badly-laid-out, cheaply-realized PostModern stucco "Lifestyle Center" across County Line Road, in JACKSON, has some vacancies. Most of those stores have moved to prettier, newer, centers elsewhere. But even the Jackson side of County Line is not dying.

As for the man stuffed into his trunk at the Madison Walgreen's... You do realize the Madison PoPo quickly got the tag number, and followed the car to Canton, reaching the car about the time the man was escaping from the trunk (almost instantly). The Perps, I hear, were from Chicago - but will be stuck in Mississippi for a while, now.

The house broken into in Reunion was one of those home-grown things. A Boo Radley type, harmlessly driving around schlepping Yeti Coolers on his little ATV (I don't think he was allowed to have a car). The precipitous event was out of character for him. I also hear it was a toy gun, and he was acting out a scene he'd just seen on TV. Reunion, BTW, attracts a different crowd. I'm told the bizarre Depression-era Midwestern architectural styles out there were repellent to the normal Madison crowd. That's why so many high-income swingers and so-forth moved in. So now, I suppose, you've got the Yacht Club swingers in Ridgeland, and the Reunion swingers, and the Lake Caroline Swingers and no-telling-how-many kinds of swingers in Jacktown.

Yes I do "hide out" in my suburban home. That is, when I'm home, and if you count an area of twenty-acres-plus homesites as a suburb. When you have a gatehouse, and two gates, two layers of fencing, (with a run for guard dogs and guards' ATVs in-between) and can only see the chimneys of the neighboring homes from the third floor of your own home, then it is properly called 'hiding out'. You're right. However, you may have noticed that my Location is the richest town in Oregon - not the richest town in Mississippi.

When a little peasant uprising in Madison caused our favorite new building to be de-ornamented, in mid-construction, I finally heeded the pleas of DH and the Kids, took a profit on our "Forever Home", and moved out here. The kids were already in schools out here, and so that was that. None of the kids are capable of attraction to anyone who's not blond-all-over (no fading-to-blond for them. Is that called Tiger Woods Syndrome?), and the boys won't touch girls with skanky painted fingernails or obvious makeup - so it was either Oregon or Vermont... definitely not Mississippi.... Not enough 'Granolas'...

However, we do have a wooded site being groomed for our eventual return to Madison (we assume that what happened to Southern California will eventually happen to Portland) - just in case. But there's no structure there, at present. We could hide out in a motor home - and might, during construction, if Oregon is taken as part of Aztlan, and we have to flee for our lives (Heck: I'd just tell them I'm Amandititita's prettier sister Amandititita "Odio a mi jefe" on Vimeo. Even Mexicans think I'm Mexican, anyway). But no, we're not hiding out in Madison. We're hiding out in the Madison of Oregon.

Oh, and the idea of Pearl "falling" is... um.... I hate to say ugly things about Pearl, since some of the most beautiful men I've ever seen, anywhere, live there. But truly - when was Pearl ever lofty enough to do any falling?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,713,106 times
Quote:

Um, yeah. I don't know what Jackson you are talking about, but it could not possibly be the one that I know. The reason Ridgeland is going down is because of all of the people running for their life from Jackson. The riff raff coming to Ridgeland is trying to get away from the even worse riff raff in Jackson. I do lots of things in Jackson, and I would love for the city to pull together and end all if the violence like you see in west and south Jackson. But in order for that people have to realize just how bad some parts are right now. As far as the mayor of Madison I think she is nuts, but she rules Madison with an iron fist and that is what keeps things from declining. I wish someone like her would be elected mayor of Jackson and then maybe we could turn it around.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Jackson IS turning around! Yes, most of West Jackson and South Jackson are still pretty steeped in crime on a daily (4 bodies found on Moon Street over by the Jackson Medical Mall recently, and a man was shot yesterday morning over near Ellis Ave, along with three children being shot in south Jackson.) Yes I know this. But if you notice none of Jackson's crime is downtown, north, or east. Yes Northeast Jackson isn't the 100% white area it was 20 years ago, but I still know quite a few White families still live there with 0 problems during their daily life. The downtown area is slowly improving from it was only 5 years ago. Capitol Street is being turned back into it's historical two-way (yes I know it's just a road.) to garner more foot traffic. More businesses are coming to Capitol Street and more places of living are coming as well (if I'm mentioning Capitol Street too much, it's because it has always been the heart of downtown.) With the coming of apartments on Capitol Street, more grocery stores and pharmacies will be inclined to stay on Capitol Street as well.

I don't think overall anything is wrong with the areas of Jackson I mentioned (East, North, Downtown), it's just basically the West and South sides. It isn't "spreading" to other areas of Jackson, it's staying right where it is. You guys act like other big cities do not have high crime in certain areas ... Birmingham, Alabama has more crime than we do! Every big city has bad places and shady areas ... I don't know why everyone sees Jackson's bad areas and starts acting like Jackson is the only city in America to have high crime rates in bad areas.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 AM

And I'm gonna say EVERYTIME ... We are still better off here in Jackson than in Detroit or Flint, Michigan.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,713,106 times
Yes, Jackson is definitely better off the Detroit. Of course all big cities have problems, and I agree with you on the parts that are ok and the ones that are not. I regularly attend events in downtown, and I have no problem taking my toddler to events for children there during the day. I think a big part of Jackson's problem is these teenagers and young adults running around killing each other. We seem to have a generation of youth coming of age that has no qualms about taking human life over $5. I don't know how to turn that around, but something sure needs to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson