U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,974,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
I don't know why everyone sees Jackson's bad areas and starts acting like Jackson is the only city in America to have high crime rates in bad areas.
A couple of reasons:

- People in Mississippi have never lived anywhere else, so they really don't know that other cities have bad neighborhoods with high crime, but that doesn't invalidate the nice areas.
- Residual reacism still impacts the way people feel about Jackson. There are White people in the area that absolutely cannot stand the fact that there are Black people in elected positions running the city and county. So when bad things happen they are quick to blame the leadership - "See I told you what would happen once THEY took over."

You know, there are bad areas in major cities all across this country, some with white leadership, others with black leadership. I can say pretty confidently that the color of the mayor doesn't seem to make any difference in the depths of the 'hood.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 AM

772 posts, read 746,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So when bad things happen they are quick to blame the leadership - "See I told you what would happen once THEY took over."
Oh I know! As soon as that small little house burglary over in Eastover happened awhile back, EVERYONE blamed Mayor Lumumba for it. They kept saying exactly what you said, "I was afraid this would happen when HE took over."

Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 AM

1,031 posts, read 958,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Oh I know! As soon as that small little house burglary over in Eastover happened awhile back, EVERYONE blamed Mayor Lumumba for it. They kept saying exactly what you said, "I was afraid this would happen when HE took over."
Paranoid much? Who is "they"? You seem like a race instigator.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Default Add JSU to the list: Brazilians fleeing for their lives!

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...pus-robberies-

You know, I've been predicting that Mississippi's cities would become like Brazil's cities. There, the crime is so bad the prosperous are starting to live in gated colonies with their own private armies. Apparently, Jackson is closer to that point than I'd imagined.

It probably takes a lot to scare Brazilians. But Jacktown seems to have risen to the challenge.

Oh, and zblanton1, when you refer to "that little house burglary over in Eastover", are you talking about the home invasion where the House Sitter was shot, and the dog was shot to death? ....within a week of the armed robbery, in broad daylight, of a group of people in the driveway of Northminster Baptist - directly across Ridgewood Road from that house in Eastover?

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-19-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Default Add Murrah High to the 'Bad Areas' list: 3 fight videos!

If I'm reading this right, the school district has its own police department. Today, however, the PoPo seemed afraid to go into Murrah - what with all the fights going on. They chose to stay outside and "show their presence".

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...NEWS/311200053

Old 11-20-2013, 10:09 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,713,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
http://www.clarionledger.com/article...pus-robberies-

You know, I've been predicting that Mississippi's cities would become like Brazil's cities. There, the crime is so bad the prosperous are starting to live in gated colonies with their own private armies. Apparently, Jackson is closer to that point than I'd imagined.

It probably takes a lot to scare Brazilians. But Jacktown seems to have risen to the challenge.

Oh, and zblanton1, when you refer to "that little house burglary over in Eastover", are you talking about the home invasion where the House Sitter was shot, and the dog was shot to death? ....within a week of the armed robbery, in broad daylight, of a group of people in the driveway of Northminster Baptist - directly across Ridgewood Road from that house in Eastover?

I didn't realize until I saw this report on the news that JSU had a big crime problem. A spokesman for JSU said that crime on campus is actually going up. I wonder if perpetrators are students or people coming onto the campus to commit these crimes.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I didn't realize until I saw this report on the news that JSU had a big crime problem. A spokesman for JSU said that crime on campus is actually going up. I wonder if perpetrators are students or people coming onto the campus to commit these crimes.
The response from the school, following the departure of the Brazilians, is rather maddening: "We have no records of any complaints from..." Brazilians leave JSU after crimes - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS Somehow, I doubt that the Brazilian Consulate said nothing, even if the students were mute on the subject. I mean, if the consulate found the situation alarming enough to "scoop up" 27 students, and fly them to Georgia - in mid-semester, then SOMETHING surely would have been "on record" at any competently-run school. I mean, I hardly think they all just packed their bags and left campus without telling anybody. Somebody at the school should have put something "on the record".

Here's another story, from a couple of years back, which indicates that there are criminals coming in from off-campus. This professor, shot in the neck, was campaigning for increased security, including additional fencing. Shot JSU researcher raising funds for campus security - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS No wonder JSU was so keen on establishing a campus in Madison.

But while we lived in Mississippi, I kept hearing about crimes committed by students at JSU. That would include the murder of a football player by another player, at a fraternity pool party, if I'm remembering correctly. So, it would seem that there are threats from within, too.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,974,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
But while we lived in Mississippi, I kept hearing about crimes committed by students at JSU. That would include the murder of a football player by another player, at a fraternity pool party, if I'm remembering correctly. So, it would seem that there are threats from within, too.
As usual, GG's memory is incorrect. Not sure why people would spout off misinformation that could be cleared up with 10 seconds of google, unless they have an agenda...

No JSU football player murdered anyone.

A JSU freshman (Ryan Henderson) was tossed out of a party being thrown by some football players. Instead of being pissed and going home, Henderson came back with his 25-year-old cousin (not a JSU student or grad), who was armed. Cousin starts shooting, and hits and kills Henderson. So the hired "bodyguard" ended up killing his own cousin.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
As usual, GG's memory is incorrect. Not sure why people would spout off misinformation that could be cleared up with 10 seconds of google, unless they have an agenda...

No JSU football player murdered anyone.

A JSU freshman (Ryan Henderson) was tossed out of a party being thrown by some football players. Instead of being pissed and going home, Henderson came back with his 25-year-old cousin (not a JSU student or grad), who was armed. Cousin starts shooting, and hits and kills Henderson. So the hired "bodyguard" ended up killing his own cousin.
Thanks for filling in the blanks! I was, at that point, tired of Googling, had done my hour on the Stairmaster, and was ready to go to bed.

But basically, you've confirmed the fundamentals of what I was saying: Football players/party/JSU Student/MURDER.

Thanks again!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,391 times
Jackson has good and so call bad people.Using guns as there fist.Not like the old days were people fought to live to see another day.Now blacks talk about the K.K.K but the K.K.K is laughing at us.Long pointed hats turned up side down filled with popcorn watching the news watching us kill each other. Messing up our new polos shirts and new air jordons. While we say my brother "yea". Where is the Love Hmmmmm. Raggedy ass streets but new liquor stores on every corner come on Jacktown. I think Jackson Ms. has a lot of potential. But we need to come together any suggestions how please respond! A real peace rally with job fair included positive artists who have been threw something.More positive places to go around here. MDA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson