U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM

41 posts, read 88,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
This was no accident. The culture of Jackson has always been undermined by the white people that live here and in surrounding areas.

My grandmother told me this story when I was a kid that, The white people in Mississippi HATED the fact that Jackson(Hinds county) was majority Black(aka Choctaw indians and Blacks), She told me they was hoping we all packed up and moved to Meridian back when they switched Capitals. Thinking that would trick us away from the best land in the state. But we didn't move, and thus the gentrification for decades began clear through today. You can see it. look around you. Jackson is run down but the burbs are nice, reminds you of the Washington D.C. model...

and Notice how they work in Jackson, but live in the suburbs? that's by design, they want Jackson, but they know it's been Black-owned since day one and will never change. That's why they spend the money to upgrade the burbs hoping we move to those areas, but not me. I'm many generations deep in Jackson and I will be leaving my estate in Jackson to my kids and so on. Heck, I still own(renting out) my great great uncles' house. been in the family since I was a baby.

Why do you think it was so hard to get the Memorial Coliseum for JSU? after they made a total dump out of it no less?

And I don't buy that BS that somebody said earlier in this thread about contacting the show and voice your concerns. that's just BS!

This is just more tarnish on the armor of Mississippi when you have deliberate undermining of the culture.

Adam and his camp should've known better than to come to a majority BLACK city and go to a WHITE restaurant for his food challenge. don't use our name in vain!!

And yes E&L would have a REAL challenge for him, that's naptime BBQ over there, you eat it and it's time to take a long nap afterwards..lol...

Adam should've went to Cool Al's, could've left with a T-shirt...dummy.

This would've never went down in Atlanta!!!

They wouldn't take you to Buckhead, they would take you to MLK!!!
If you feel that strongly about it, you should contact the show and make a request that they return to showcase WHAT ELSE Jackson has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM

169 posts, read 172,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblackwell99 View Post
If you feel that strongly about it, you should contact the show and make a request that they return to showcase WHAT ELSE Jackson has to offer.
I submitted Jackson to Triple D's back when the show first came on TV. That's why I thought it was them that came, but jackson panther said it was M vs.F.

Hopefully Triple D's does come down and do it RIGHT!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
I submitted Jackson to Triple D's back when the show first came on TV. That's why I thought it was them that came, but jackson panther said it was M vs.F.

Hopefully Triple D's does come down and do it RIGHT!
You'd think DDD could find some real holes in Jackson. That third D does stand for 'Dives!' (although it seems the show has move a bit more toward fun food lately, rather than the drive-ins and dives....).

Anyway....

There was a show on a couple months ago.... I'll have to look it up and repost.... I think it was on the History Channel and it's called Hairy Bikers. Two guys (one is a chef) ride around the country on their hogs and visit unique and tasty places. They visited Jackson in one episode and had pigs head souse at some meat place and pig ear sandwiches at another.

Not being too familiar with 'the real' Jackson, I don't know if it accurately depicted the city's roots, but it was cool nonetheless. I'll do search here in a bit and post the info (assuming I find it).

Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblackwell99 View Post
You'd think DDD could find some real holes in Jackson. That third D does stand for 'Dives!' (although it seems the show has move a bit more toward fun food lately, rather than the drive-ins and dives....).

Anyway....

There was a show on a couple months ago.... I'll have to look it up and repost.... I think it was on the History Channel and it's called Hairy Bikers. Two guys (one is a chef) ride around the country on their hogs and visit unique and tasty places. They visited Jackson in one episode and had pigs head souse at some meat place and pig ear sandwiches at another.

Not being too familiar with 'the real' Jackson, I don't know if it accurately depicted the city's roots, but it was cool nonetheless. I'll do search here in a bit and post the info (assuming I find it).
Here's a couple links to the Hairy Bikers episode in Jackson.

Hairy Bikers — Episode Guide — History.com I totally forgot about the pigs feet and chitlins.

Hairy Bikers — Exclusive Videos — History.com Videos Video of Wilson's, the butcher shop where they made the souse. (Not actually in Jackson - in Crystal Springs).

The pigs ear sandwiches were at Big Apple Inn. The pigs feet and chitlins were at Peaches Cafe.

I don't necessarily think I would eat any of the food that was featured on the show, but Peaches had some other stuff that looked pretty good.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 AM

48 posts, read 138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

White people will fly halfway across the world to visit some out-of-the-way dive, so they can be the "cool outsider" discovering a new unheralded spot. Yet you guys live in or near a city that's 70% Black, but go out of your way to avoid anything that might have any Black influence to it.

I could send you to E&L Barbecue. This place is always packed, always has a line. It's a Jackson institution. But as soon as I say it's on Bailey Ave in the Georgetown neighborhood, White people start shaking in their boots. Instead you guys rave over the crappy bland stuff at the Haute Pig. Please.

There is a myriad of soul food places in Jackson, but the one that gets shown on TV is Two Sisters, owned by a couple of white women? Am I to assume that was an accident. Is Two Sisters the only soul food restaurant approved by white people? I could send you to Gloria's, or Bully's. Or send you for a pig-ear sandwich at Peaches. Or I could send you on a mission to find Big John's. But somehow you end up at Two Sisters...

Don't get me wrong. The food at Two Sisters is good. Same with Mama Hamel's. But again, televising white-owned Two Sisters when in Jackson, MS is like a slap in the face to the 70% of this city that is Black and has good neighborhood dives - the kind of places that White people "claim" to want to go to and "discover."

And if you want a burger, don't friggin go to Burgers and Blues and act like you're doing something. Although B&B has an indirect lineage from Stamps, take your behind to Stamps down by JSU! Stamps begat Cool Als which begat Burgers and Blues, so go to the original, not the one in Ridgeland.

Are white people really and truly scared to go to a major street in Georgetown, or down by JSU? Literally 5 minutes from the downtown area, you can be at Stamps. No one is gonna kill you. For all the crime reported on the TV news in Jackson, I have yet to ever hear about a white person being assaulted while trying to by some ribs.
Was this directed towards me because I asked for a good BBQ joint in Jackson that was safe? To me all/most black doesn't mean unsafe. But with a family, I want safe regardless if it's all black, all white, or mixed. After reading the thread "where are the safe areas in Jackson" and some people respond NONE, what is an outsider supposed to do? I hear there are areas to avoid (as there are in ANY large city). All I want to know is if there is a good BBQ joint NOT in those areas to avoid. Geesh, is that too much ask? I'm not from Jackson, have visited it on several occasions and have nothing but good stuff to say about it. But I also know there are areas of crime, just as there are in any large city. I have been told about Jackson - trouble won't come looking for you, you have to go looking for it. Meaning to stay out of certain areas. Is it wrong of me to want to avoid those certain areas?

On one of our recent visits, we walked into a restaurant and we were the only white people there including servers. Did we leave? NO. Did we feel unsafe? NO. On a trip through Oklahoma City once, our daughter had to use the restroom. We stopped at a gas station. Everyone around white. But did we feel unsafe? YES because everything was run down, dirty thugs staring, bars on windows. Wouldn't have stopped if she wasn't desperate.

So don't go assuming cause I want safe means I want to avoid black areas. All I want is a safe area.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM

169 posts, read 172,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcamcin View Post
Was this directed towards me because I asked for a good BBQ joint in Jackson that was safe? To me all/most black doesn't mean unsafe. But with a family, I want safe regardless if it's all black, all white, or mixed. After reading the thread "where are the safe areas in Jackson" and some people respond NONE, what is an outsider supposed to do?
I understand that, but here's the thing if you ACT scared chances are you will get intimidated by the "hood" mom and pops restaurants.

But if you walkin like you've been there before and hold your head high, nothing will happen to you.

Now, if you stop at a store and go in and a bum smells that food, don't be surprised if you catch him reaching through your window to grab a rib...lol

Bums are bold as hell in Jackson.

Also, don't stop at a self-serve car wash...we call those "Jack points", quickest way to get robbed in Jackson. Wash your car at HOME>

But when it comes to food, ALL those places in Jackson are safe because even the killers take time out to eat...lol

Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM

969 posts, read 2,005,922 times
This thread made me think of Chris Rock in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka... funny stuff.

How much for one rib - YouTube

Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,979,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcamcin View Post
Was this directed towards me because I asked for a good BBQ joint in Jackson that was safe?
Relax dude. My rant wasn't about you, it was about Man vs Food, and how that show just reflected everything that is wrong with how people are in and around Jackson.

If you look into my rant you see I gave a strong recommendation for a BBQ joint - E&L on Bailey Ave.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM

969 posts, read 2,005,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Relax dude. My rant wasn't about you, it was about Man vs Food, and how that show just reflected everything that is wrong with how people are in and around Jackson.

If you look into my rant you see I gave a strong recommendation for a BBQ joint - E&L on Bailey Ave.
JP, since we are talking about food, how is the new Caribbean restaurant in downtown Jackson? I hear it's good.

My wife is from the Caribbean, and we talked about stopping in next time we are down that way.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,979,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
JP, since we are talking about food, how is the new Caribbean restaurant in downtown Jackson? I hear it's good.

My wife is from the Caribbean, and we talked about stopping in next time we are down that way.
You talking about Taste of the Islands? It's not new, its been there at least 2 years now. It's great, takeout only, worth the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson