U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,033 times

Advertisements

I am currently contemplating a move to the Jackson area to take a senior level position with a company located about 10 miles south of downtown Jackson on 55. My wife and I are empty nesters, college educated and in our early fifties. We do not like cookie cutter neighborhoods. Yet we do not like the highly eclectic neighborhoods either. We prefer a town some character and one with a town center or a downtown area. We are looking in the price range of $200K to $240K for a home. My wife will probably work at the university medical center in Jackson. We would like to live near the reservoir and a golf course. We are looking at potentially buying a home in Ridgeland or Brandon. While schools are not the utmost importance to use, we do realize the value of good schools and want to reside in a good school district. We are both from the north. However, we enjoy the south and have lived in the south for the past 15 years. Are we looking in the right areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,686,291 times
I haven't lived in Jackson for decades, so I can't comment on specific areas that meet your criteria. However, I will point out that the Reservoir is on the opposite side of Jackson from "10 miles south of downtown" (Byron? Terry?). A LOT of people live on that side of Jackson and work downtown, so you'll be fighting them trying to get to work. In addition to being a major commuting corridor, Lakeland Blvd (Hwy 25) is also a major shopping corridor that is lined with big-box stores.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,980,901 times
Consider the Patrick Farms area.

Patrick Farms is a golf course in (Pearl?/Brandon?) off of I20, east of Jackson. If you play golf, membership at Patrick Farms also includes Lake Caroline and Whisper Lakes courses.

It's not on the reservoir. My opinion is that living near the reservoir (especially on the Brandon side) will leave an oppressive commute to Byram/Terry or wherever you're going that is 10 miles south of Jackson.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,503,356 times
The city of Brandon fits your criteria for a traditional town. The Northshore which is north of Pelahatchie Bay on the Rankin County side of the Reservoir has newer subdivisions but their location near the reservoir gives them some character. Belhaven near downtown Jackson and next to the medical center is beautiful. Madison and Ridgeland are new and have all types of housing.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll be visiting Jackson for a few days later this month to get a better feel of the city.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:13 PM

7 posts, read 7,880 times
Personally, I'd stay out of the Ridgeland area unless you're looking around Highland Colony (much more than $250K to live there). I'd look more in the NW Rankin School district. Several subdivision to keep in mind: Castlewoods (golf coures), Foxbay (golf course) and bay point. If you'd prefer a little older home with character but near/ on the water, there are lots of older subdivisions along Spillway drive that will suite as well.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 AM

356 posts, read 1,192,471 times
Bay Pointe at the Reservoir would be a good place to look. They have a very nice golf course and are pretty convenient to everything.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,980,901 times
Reservoir area of Brandon, to Byram. Welcome to a 60-mile roundtrip commute every day... Patrick Farms will shave 10 miles off each way, but I guess it's your decision.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 20,417 times
Not to be rude kavoos but are you moving from north Carolina? The reason why I am asking is because I moved here two days ago from apex for a job.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM

usaguy,

I live in Holly Springs. I am heading to Jackson this week to look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson