U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadeadam View Post
Stay away from downtown jackson, west jackson, Byram, and certain areas of Pearl.
I agree that you should stay away from downtown Jackson, West Jackson, and most of Pearl...but not Byram. While the Byram area that borders south Jackson is not the nicest neighborhoods, the central area of Byram and surrounding areas are quite nice and building up w/ new restaurants, stores, etc. being built as we speak. I actually live in Terry which neighbors Byram. We love it here!
Now, however, if you meant to stay away from those areas because of the public school systems, then I would have to agree. I plan on sending my daughter to private school, though...a Christian-based school. If I were, however, to send my daughter to a public school, I would definitely look at Madison and Brandon. Clinton's public school district isn't too bad either from what I hear, but I haven't done as much research of my own for their system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 12:46 AM

401 posts, read 645,959 times
If you're relocating here from a decidedly out-of-region culture, then, like almost any out-of-region move, it's going to be a challenge. While, like most places, suburban schools are your best bet, if you can afford or want to send your kids to private school, the older urban neighborhoods not yet abandoned by the middle class are also a good bet - it exposes your kids to more diversity of ideas (but that's true with just about every city in the nation). For alternative cultural opportunities, if nothing else, Fondren and Belhaven are places to at least visit frequently even if you do choose not to actually live there (btw, those areas seem to be getting a revival - rents for lofts twice the metro area's norm, for instance).

Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 18,335 times
Smile On Vacation at Madison, MS

I am having a great time at my sisters house in Madison, MS. This place is totally diferent from Ft. Lauderdale. It has a lot of trees, pines and everything looks very clean and uniform. I have been at the highway at 5-6pm and theres is no traffic at all, actually at anytime. Houses and stores outsides look a like, which make the place more appealing for your eyes. It give you some kind of peace, looking at so much nature. I have seen and been in a lot of playgrounds/parks for kids, and people are very nice and friendly when they approach to you. My sister is a stay at home mom of a 9 month old girl, and her husband is a tennis pro at Parham Bridges Tennis center, they move 3 years ago from Philadelphia, PA and they love it, they are not plannign to move from here anytime. My sister says schools are great, and the cost of living much affordable compare to other places like, PA, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, PR were she had lived before. She bought a house, 2000sq/ft 4 debroom/2 bath beautifull, two years ago, for $197K and her water bill is like $35 monthly and electric bill around $75-$100 monthly depending on weather conditions. I personally lived in Miami for 4 years (1999-2004) and used to drive to my parents house in Boca Raton, FL at least once a month, and the traffic in FL is terrible. And Florida was getting very expencive and unaffordable. From Miami we moved to Las Vegas (2004-2007) and I like the areas in Madison more than Miami and Las Vegas. I came to see my sister and also to look at the city, because we are also considering a relocation to Madison. I am 35 years old, and mom of twin girls 4 years old. I look for quality of life. Good luck in your move!!!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM

135 posts, read 370,987 times
Default downtown jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner2548 View Post
I am a professional reloacating for job reasons to Jackson and plan to live in Madison. I grew up in suburbs of New York, Philadelphia and have lived in suburbs of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami for the last 15 years. I have 2 kids 13 and 10. We know little about living in the South. When I visited the people and the town seemed very nice. People in Fl are giving me a very hard time about MS. Any advice for a northener going to MS? Will my kids be treated well in Madison? What do you think the adjustment to living will be like. How are non-southerns and people more used to larger cities looked upon.

Thanks

1n 1973 and 1974, I lived in downtown Jackson at Sterling Towers apartments. At that time, downtown had great ameneties--the mayflower cafe, primos restaurant, the jolly roger lounge, a pool hall on capitol street (whose name I forget), the downtowner motor inn, and the sun and sand motel. I am not sure if all these are still there or if downtown is still a great place to live, but it was nice back then

Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 PM

383 posts, read 751,729 times
Unhappy Where has yesterday gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
1n 1973 and 1974, I lived in downtown Jackson at Sterling Towers apartments. At that time, downtown had great ameneties--the mayflower cafe, primos restaurant, the jolly roger lounge, a pool hall on capitol street (whose name I forget), the downtowner motor inn, and the sun and sand motel. I am not sure if all these are still there or if downtown is still a great place to live, but it was nice back then

Unfortunately my friend, things have changed, changed drastically. Hold on to your memories for, alas, that is all that remains of Jackson past. My husband and I tend to avoid going to downtown and the surrounding area where we grew up because we had such great memories and now, it is a nightmare. BTW, it was "Bill's" pool hall. Hubby, as a young steed, hustled there.

Gone is the hustle-bustle of vehicular and pedestrian traffice of downtown Jackson. Gone are the stores and eateries - Mayflower is still there for now. The owner of the Elite passed away recently and I don't know if the restaurant will survive. Gone are the people filling all buildings to capacity. Businesses are relocating out of the city limits due to high crime, liability, and taxes.

Old Jackson has been replaced by many empty structures. Very little traffic, as compared to yesteryear. Monday through Friday, after 5:30 pm, it is a virtual ghost town. At dark the creatures of the night descend upon the streets. Well, to be honest, they are there 24/7. The nauseating sights and smells of deterioration and decay linger heavily on the senses. To see the Jackson of my childhood memories in such a deplorable state of decline tugs irreparably on the strings of my heart and soul, for "my" Jackson shall never be again.

People go into Jackson for business reasons only, then they get the heck out of dodge fast all the while watching their backs for trouble lurking everywhere. The powers that be are struggling to revitalize the area but I fear it is much too late.

Oh, welcome to City-Data. You will very helpful, caring, wonderful people here.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:36 AM

135 posts, read 370,987 times
That is really sad to hear. Obviously, things have gone downhill.

When I lived there I was a librarian at the library on state street. I will hold on to the memories. Forgot about the Elite--also just remembered the Hollywood candy kitchen.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 PM

383 posts, read 751,729 times
Default I agree. Tis sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
That is really sad to hear. Obviously, things have gone downhill.

When I lived there I was a librarian at the library on state street. I will hold on to the memories. Forgot about the Elite--also just remembered the Hollywood candy kitchen.

Thanks!
Like I said, hold your warm, loving, memories close to your heart, as I do. Nothing ever stays the same and, unfortunately for Jackson, it will never be the same again.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,034 times
You will love it in Madison. It is a very upscale area and the people are friendly. The schools in Madison are top notch and Madison was named in the Top 10 Best Cities in the US to live by Family Circle Magazine this year. Low crime, great schools, property value good, high household income...

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-02-2007 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM

29 posts, read 119,836 times
The people aren't as friendly to you once you move here as they are when you visit. There is a snobbish attitude steeped in tradition and superficial relationships (i.e. private school mentality, "who knows who", "haves & have nots", etc.). Compared to Southern California, North Dallas Texas, and Brentwood/Franklin,Tennessee (places I have lived or relatives have lived) - it is embarrassingly ugly and backwoods - poor roads, lack of good city planning, little landscaping, terrible schools (even the "good" schools are years behind the aforementioned areas) and people full of pride for no reason. But they only know what they've lived with (Mississippi) and don't know any better, I guess. (The only area comparable I've known is a small town in North Carolina.) Things are overpriced for the amenities (or lack thereof). Neighborhoods don't have nature/walking trails like almost all neighborhoods where I've lived, and worst of all, most people are arrogant and shallow. Very materialistic for no reason. (If you are a doctor or lawyer they bow to you as if you are something special.) If I could, I would move away in a minute. While here I've seen improvements, but not enough to keep me.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,599,863 times
Nothing in Ms compares to the materialism and superficiality of southern CA. An interesting place to visit, but I wouldn't want to actually live there. And talk about overpriced, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson