U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 PM

1,867 posts, read 2,974,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceytracey View Post
So, do you see this as a "relatively" safe place for a SBF to relocate?
Not a problem for a SBF. Don't move to West Jackson. Don't move to the parts of Jackson south of I-20. You can live anywhere east of I55. You can also live in NW Jackson in Woodlea, Woodhaven, or Lakeover neighborhoods. You can live in Fondren or Belhaven neighborhoods.

There are lots of options other than running to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 PM

105 posts, read 197,680 times
Good thread boys... and girls Where are the new suburban communities being built in the Jackson area? I'm a suburban guy and anti-crime.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 PM

1,031 posts, read 958,410 times
North of Jackson. Madison. You're welcome.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,499,277 times
Also Brandon and Flowood to the east. Also Florence I believe is going to be next up for growth, blessed with its location on the way to Florida. To me the feeling of south Mississippi starts around Florence...something about those dense forests mixing towering pines and lush hardwoods. Could be my imagination (probably) but in my mind I begin to feel the gulf air right as I'm passing through Florence, perhaps imagining the coast just around the corner (about 2.5 hours or so..)

There really is no crime to speak of in either Madison or Rankin Counties. Clinton to the west and Byram to the south are also very safe.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:01 AM

687 posts, read 643,448 times
I would look at Madison/Gluckstadt, the real estate is more expensive but the schools there are top notch.

I personally think Flowood and Pearl are on the downhill slide (as places to live, not shopping/dining) and will end up like Clinton and Ridgeland in 10 to 20 years (not terrible, but several notches below Madison). The political leadership/long range planning in Rankin County is lacking for what the area has become (allowing apartments, lack of vision, poor zoning/planning and little code enforcement), these are some of the same things that hurt Clinton and Ridgeland. Rankin's educational leadership is a mess also (I have three in the Northwest Zone); however, I think people have woken up to this and will elect new leadership next election cycle.

Mary Hawkins, long time Mayor of Madison, refused to sell out to developers, has planned smartly for growth and kept property values high.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 AM

100% agree with viverlibre

Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,050 times
Are you kidding? Jackson, MS is horrible ghetto where the gangs seem to rule. Reminds me of Mogadishu, Somalia. Police are corrupt. They may try to mug you. Stay out of Jackson unless you have compelling business. Lock your doors, keep your windows up, load your gun, stay alert! The crime rate is horrific, over the top. Whoever said Jackson has a low crime rate is ignorant.!
Whatever you do, don't stay in a motel inside the city limits. Get to the suburbs.... safety awaits you there. As an investigator I can say everyone is on point. Scared residents might just shoot you! Warning: Danger Mr. Smith, I hope I never get asked to work another case in that sorry place.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM

772 posts, read 745,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Investigator View Post
Jackson, MS is horrible ghetto where the gangs seem to rule.
Are you kidding ME? This isn't the 1990s anymore. Jackson is not "ruled" by gangs. Like JacksonPanther said there are plenty of good neighborhoods in the city of Jackson to live in. Northwest Jackson toward I-220 and Highland Colony Parkway, Belhaven, Fondren, Eastover, Leftover, Northeast Jackson, & downtown are all nice places to live in in the city of Jackson.

Everyone expects Jackson to be some crime-free haven like the suburbs, but the fact of the matter is, Jackson is a lot BIGGER than Madison, or Ridgeland, or Brandon, or Flowood, or whatever. Naturally there is gong to be more crimes occurring in Jackson because of the amount of people that are living in the city itself.

But that doesn't mean that crime is everywhere in Jackson because it is not. People just need to quit looking at places like Madison, Brandon, and Flowood and stop comparing crime rates with them to Jackson's. Because it doesn't matter how nice, or how great things are, but crime can happen anywhere. Occasionally it does happen in the suburbs, but that all of a sudden doesn't mean that Madison is a crime-ridden city ruled by thugs and gangs. What if we acted like that toward our suburbs when crime happened in them?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Are you kidding ME? This isn't the 1990s anymore. Jackson is not "ruled" by gangs. Like JacksonPanther said there are plenty of good neighborhoods in the city of Jackson to live in. Northwest Jackson toward I-220 and Highland Colony Parkway, Belhaven, Fondren, Eastover, Leftover, Northeast Jackson, & downtown are all nice places to live in in the city of Jackson.

Everyone expects Jackson to be some crime-free haven like the suburbs, but the fact of the matter is, Jackson is a lot BIGGER than Madison, or Ridgeland, or Brandon, or Flowood, or whatever. Naturally there is gong to be more crimes occurring in Jackson because of the amount of people that are living in the city itself.

But that doesn't mean that crime is everywhere in Jackson because it is not. People just need to quit looking at places like Madison, Brandon, and Flowood and stop comparing crime rates with them to Jackson's. Because it doesn't matter how nice, or how great things are, but crime can happen anywhere. Occasionally it does happen in the suburbs, but that all of a sudden doesn't mean that Madison is a crime-ridden city ruled by thugs and gangs. What if we acted like that toward our suburbs when crime happened in them?
There is more crime in Jackson. It's the truth. Sorry it bothers you.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:32 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,035,303 times
Chances are nobody is getting to the children. You probably have family members being born, and the parents pass down the negativity to their children, instead of the pride of their fair city. Cut the negativity/fat you cut the problem. Sounds like the problem is any other city in the nation.

Here is an idea, issue fines to anybody using the n-word as well as profanity in schools and the workplace. Like the man who was fined for profanity in parks.

It is all about the children and what they learn, hear, see, and remember. If you could take ten thousand kids, and promise them real work, and property. Keep the "street" out their gaze, I am sure it would make a difference.

While god is important, preserving the youths ability to be caring about society is also important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson