U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:56 PM

1,031 posts, read 958,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post

Here is an idea, issue fines to anybody using the n-word as well as profanity in schools and the workplace. Like the man who was fined for profanity in parks.
So your solution to Jackson's problems is to limit free speech?

sorry but the issues run waaayyyyyy deeper than the n word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,038,819 times
How is the area near the hospitals?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:32 PM

772 posts, read 746,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
How is the area near the hospitals?
Just FINE. The area around UMC is the Belhaven/Fondren area and it's doing great and pretty safe. The areas around Baptist are again Belhaven & the resurging neighborhood known as Midtown. Then lastly St. Dominic's, which is the Fondren area, which again is pretty safe. There are more hospitals but these are the BIG 3 and they are all in reasonably good areas of town.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 PM

6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
The cities with a very high disparity of wealth tend to have higher crime rates. Create enough poverty and people get desperate enough to do almost anything, and gangs begin to rule. Yes, Jackson has gangs, even some of Mississippi's smaller cities like Greenville or Meridian have gang affiliations.

I've never though of Jackson's crime rate as "low" in any sense of the word. In 2006 Jackson was in the top 10 of being one of the most violent cities in the country. I can't say the city has really progressed since then, it's still a pretty dangerous place, and the white flight is showing no signs of letting up.

I'm not really sure what kind of role a good "christian" upbringing would play in reducing Jackson's crime rate. New Orleans, Memphis, Atlanta, and Birmingham are all also bible belt cities and all also have high crime rates. The disparity of wealth in Jackson is huge, this in itself plays a major role in the crime of the area, perhaps the wealth separation gap is even more severe in the other cities.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 AM

1,195 posts, read 893,266 times
Jackson's violent crime rate isn't as high as it was in the 90s. At one time I saw the statistics for Jackson and there was a sharp rise in the late 80s that peaked in the early 90s. That was probably a nationwide trend and makes sense for Jackson as well as that would coincide with the introduction of crack cocaine to Jackson (it was introduced to cities in the US basically between 1985 and 1988) in the latter half of the 80s and the peak of gang activity in the early 90s. Jackson had more than 100 homicides a number of years during that time period. I wish I could find the numbers but it was easily over 100 per year in the early 90s. In recent years, there are typically 50 to 70 homicides a year in Jackson.

So, crime has declined a bit from where it was 20 years ago but is still above average for a city this size.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:19 AM

199 posts, read 192,824 times
I believe da Jackson, MS does not have no crime period, I believe da more African American live in South sooo what difference live in West with all the Hispanics? I check and in South there are 54% African American and 29% of Hispanics in the west. One thing is as Jackson, MS is da houses are very low income money. When I visit Jackson, MS it was very quiet, and the neighborhood was quiet, let tell you something "if there majority city that African American, that does not mean they have very high crime", like Atlanta, and crime is going down good, compare to 90's. Promise fam am not disrespect you am telling you something. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio there are African American in my neighborhood and I don't see them doing legally thinks. Thank you for my thing.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:53 AM

8,666 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
It is a fairly well - known fact that 7 out of 10 of the cities in America with the highest violent crime rate (over 100K population) are from the 20 largest African American majority cities (by percentage).

Jackson MS has the second largest African American population in the country but a relatively low rank by violent crime rate.

Why do you suppose Jackson is a major exception? (No disrespect meant by this question)

City Population: Ranked by Highest Violent Crime Rate for 2011
Flint 102,357 *
Detroit 713,239 *
St. Louis 320,454 *
Oakland 395,317
Memphis 652,725 *
Little Rock 194,988
Birmingham 213,258 *
Atlanta 425,533 *
Baltimore 626,848 *
Stockton 295,136

Rank City Percentage African American
Rank City Percentage African American
1 Detroit, Michigan 82.7 *
2 Jackson, Mississippi 79.4
3 Miami Gardens, Florida 76.3
4 Birmingham, Alabama 73.4 *
5 Baltimore, Maryland 63.7 *
6 Memphis, Tennessee 63.3 *
7 New Orleans, Louisiana 60.2
8 Baton Rouge, Louisiana 58.5
9 Flint, Michigan 56.6 *
10 Savannah, Georgia 55.4
11 Augusta, Georgia 54.7
12 Shreveport, Louisiana 54.7
13 Montgomery, Alabama 54.5
14 Atlanta, Georgia 54.0 *
15 Cleveland, Ohio 53.3
16 Newark, New Jersey 52.4
17 Washington, D.C. 50.7
18 Richmond, Virginia 50.6
19 Mobile, Alabama 50.6
20 St. Louis, Missouri 49.2 *
As someone raised in Michigan I would say that difference between Michigan cities and Jackson is 1.) Higher rate of poverty among AA in Michigan cities post Auto Industry decline. 2.) Higher population density per square mile in Michigan cities relative to Jackson. 3.) Poverty is more concentrated in Michigan for AA than Jackson.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:11 PM

1,031 posts, read 958,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGAnderson View Post
I believe da Jackson, MS does not have no crime period, I believe da more African American live in South sooo what difference live in West with all the Hispanics? I check and in South there are 54% African American and 29% of Hispanics in the west. One thing is as Jackson, MS is da houses are very low income money. When I visit Jackson, MS it was very quiet, and the neighborhood was quiet, let tell you something "if there majority city that African American, that does not mean they have very high crime", like Atlanta, and crime is going down good, compare to 90's. Promise fam am not disrespect you am telling you something. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio there are African American in my neighborhood and I don't see them doing legally thinks. Thank you for my thing.

Well I don't know about anyone else but I can sleep easier now

Old 12-09-2015, 03:05 PM

772 posts, read 746,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGAnderson View Post

Crime is down in Jackson, compared to previous years, but the fact is, is that the violent crimes are still pretty high in places like West & South Jackson. It's also not helping that businesses are leaving South Jackson left and right, but they're leaving because it's just not safe.

South Jackson is slowly turning into the new West Jackson, where no business wants to go, and the little business that IS there are really risking the safety of their employees. Like I said, statically, according to JPD's crime statistics, crime IS down, but it's still a problem in certain areas, if that makes sense.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:04 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Crime is down in Jackson, compared to previous years, but the fact is, is that the violent crimes are still pretty high in places like West & South Jackson. It's also not helping that businesses are leaving South Jackson left and right, but they're leaving because it's just not safe.

South Jackson is slowly turning into the new West Jackson, where no business wants to go, and the little business that IS there are really risking the safety of their employees. Like I said, statically, according to JPD's crime statistics, crime IS down, but it's still a problem in certain areas, if that makes sense.
Yes, but once the astonishing new Clinton-to-Byram Corridor is built (Drone manufacturer waiting on Byram-Clinton corridor - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi), the area will become the veritable vortex of the Drone Industry, and people will be fighting to live there.

Because we all know that the reason South Jackson and West Jackson are languishing, is because it's just too much trouble to take the truckin' Interstate that already connects Clinton to Byram (or any of the other numerous existing roads, which include the Natchez Trace Parkway). They need a PARKWAY, like they got over in Madison County! I mean, in only twenty years, Highland Colony Parkway's almost a quarter of the way developed - except for the part of the Parkway which is in Hinds County. That part, for some unknowable reason, seems virtually empty, with nothing having been constructed since Dale Danks was Mayor of Jackson. One would think that the tepid demand for property on the Madison County end of the Parkway, contrasting with the NONEXISTENT DEMAND for property on the Hinds County end, would tell somebody something. Like maybe it would help them predict the success of the Clinton-to-Byram scheme, as a catalyst for economic growth. But nooooooo.....

Once that fabulous Clinton-to-Byram Corridor gets built, the already frantic demand for places to live and work in that quadrant of the metro will reach fever pitch. Fever pitch, I tell you! Jackson Jambalaya: Byram-Clinton Corridor project in trouble? (Video)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson