U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM

57 posts, read 110,159 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm visiting my sister in Atlanta in March and am considering options for two night, three day road trips in the area. I would love to take my two daughters on a history inspired road trip so they can learn about the freedom riders and the civil rights movement. We are planning to visit the MLK museum in Atlanta. I'm definitely interested in checking out Jackaon, but I'm also open to other road trip suggestions. Any ideas would be appreciated...b&b's or hotels, great local food, historic sites. My girls are 5 and 7. We live in Kansas City and this will be our first trip to the south.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 AM

8,609 posts, read 8,614,769 times
I think a good start for a memorable trip is to take the "old roads" and not the Interstates.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,974,112 times
Check out the Civil Rights Institute in Birmingham, AL. An excellent museum centered around the 16th street Baptist church in Birmingham that was bombed in the 60s and 4 young girls were killed. Became a rallying point for the civil rights movement.

Montgomery, AL was the site of the major bus boycott sparked by Rosa Parks. The Birmingham museum covers that extensively also.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Unless you want to spend all your time driving and not very much time actually visiting places, I'd recommend sticking to Georgia and Alabama. There are lots of places I'd recommend in Mississippi, but you'd be wasting an entire driving day just getting here and getting back (5-6 hours each way). Ya'll are welcome to come back some time and spend all three days in the state, as long as you realize that the evil that happened during the Jim Crow era occurred in the last century and is not ongoing.

Except, if your goal is to only concentrate on the Freedom Rides (as opposed to the Civil Rights period in general), then Jackson, MS would be a major stop.

I don't remember if Selma, Alabama, just west of Montgomery, was a freedom ride stop or not, but it's a major Civil Rights location. It's the starting location of the March on Montgomery.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Nothing thrills us Mississippians like helping someone who had her kids in a private Montessori school in Westchester, New York experience the richness and vibrance of Mississippi's Civil Rights Heritage!

After all, where would Mississippi be today, were it not for the kindness of all those New Yorkers going down there and sharing their special insight. Maybe you should access the PBS video, 'Delta Jews', to see how very much the input of New York Civil Rights Crusaders was gratefully received by that particular community. The people interviewed had very special things to say about our Northern coreligionists. As a Delta Grande Dame of that demographic said to an especially earnest crusader from up in NYC, "You have no idea how very much we appreciate you coming here and telling us these things!"

And I'm so proud of you, for not letting the little unpleasantness that happened with those flash mobs around Country Club Plaza in Kansas City dissuade you from your reverence for Civil Rights! Why should a few hundred confused under-served youths ruin your worldview?

Definitely, you should experience the lively scene on Jackson's Farish street! Renovations, restorations, master plans, and government grants have been lavished upon the historic street since the 1970s. The spectacular results can best be appreciated by lingering on the street, soaking up the ambiance and sheer goodness of the surroundings. Arrive hungry, because you'll love Peaches Cafe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwcUJi5gQ-A

I guess you'll want to stay at the historic King Edward Hotel (named after the stylish monarch, and not after the brand of spitting tobacco), which is a pleasant walk away from Farish Street. If Peaches is not your cup of tea, You'll love the Mayflower Cafe, which is still the meeting place for local criminal elites & wheeler-dealers (and everybody who revels in 'intense atmosphere' and reverse snobbery), and has been so since the Colonial Era (1950s through 1970s, when Jackson people built lovely Colonial homes...Jackson's history doesn't go back very far, since kindly Northerners thoroughly renovated Central Mississippi in the 1860s). If someone local is called a "Mayflower Descendant", that's what people mean: that their grandaddy was part of the shady dealings among the carpetbagger/legislature/senate/lawyer/bidnisman elites hanging out at the Mayflower, 'back in Colonial Days'. An excellent and totally accurate portrayal of those times is the documentary film 'The Help'. You should definitely see that, before taking in Jackson.

While there is no Civil Rights Museum as yet, there should be abundant resources available through Jackson State University. It's the scene of the Jackson State Massacre, so I know you'll be going there, anyway. And in that same vein, you'll want to pay homage to the giant mural by local crusader for all that is good, Mr. Patrick Grogan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzmyJuvgefA The mural is in the Food Court at Northpark Mall, the scene of the historic rebellion by a group of 12 local Transgendered Persons of Color, who stormed that bastion of White/Heterosexual Privilege, armed with pepper spray and rapier-like wit (and, I suppose, stiletto heels). Jackson has never been the same, since what has become known as "Stonewall at the Mall". By 'doing' the food court at Northpark, you can kill three birds with one stone: you can have a nice snack, seethe with resentment at racism, and qvell with pride in knowing you support the rights of the transgendered - all in climate-controlled comfort. Where else are you gonna get a deal like that?

But mostly, I think you should spend your time in the Mississippi Delta. Clarksdale, Greenville, Greenwood... each city is a veritable tableau vivant ... illustrating the throbbing vibrance and progressiveness which have enriched Delta towns since much-loved Presidents Kennedy and Johnson decided to forcibly make them better. So, so much better! Roomier, too!

You'll want to dine at world-famous Doe's Eat Place, a magnet for Northerners since the Sixties. And be sure to see Freedom Village, outside Greenville. That's where the Delta Jazz Festival is held. And be sure to stop in at the local convenience stores in all the little places... Itta Bena, Hollandale, Ruleville... and ask if they have any KoolAid Pickles. They've even made the New York Times! http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/di...kool.html?_r=0

But mostly, aside from reading historic markers along the highways, you should get to know the locals. Hang out on the main streets of the little towns! Taaaaak to the locals, in that special way that Northern journalists do. Get down and get real. What an enriching experience for you all!

If you need a break from all that realness, you can always retreat to the Alluvian Hotel in Greenwood, go to the ritzy affiliated restaurant... take a Viking Cooking School class or two...

Then back onto the Freedom Trail, to pay homage to Fannie Lou Hamer, in her hometown, Ruleville, Mississippi. Fannie Lou Hamer Statue Mrs. Hamer has summed-up the way so many Mississippians feel, when it comes to The Movement: "I am sick and tired of bein' sick and tired."

And nothing could wrap this up better than a scene from a documentary film from the 1930s, called 'Jezebel'. It's a portrayal of how things were...exactly... right up until the heroic Northerners showed ignorant Southerners how to 'do' things in the 60s. As Bette Davis says here, "Have the Little Yankee join in! We have such charming customs down here..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzQ6dIH5pc

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-24-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akamaimama View Post
I'm visiting my sister in Atlanta in March and am considering options for two night, three day road trips in the area. I would love to take my two daughters on a history inspired road trip so they can learn about the freedom riders and the civil rights movement.
Thanks!
Well this is the best advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Check out the Civil Rights Institute in Birmingham, AL. An excellent museum centered around the 16th street Baptist church in Birmingham that was bombed in the 60s and 4 young girls were killed. Became a rallying point for the civil rights movement.

Montgomery, AL was the site of the major bus boycott sparked by Rosa Parks. The Birmingham museum covers that extensively also.
And then slide over to Selma... because,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Unless you want to spend all your time driving and not very much time actually visiting places, I'd recommend sticking to Georgia and Alabama. There are lots of places I'd recommend in Mississippi, but you'd be wasting an entire driving day just getting here and getting back (5-6 hours each way).
Only in a etherial sense because there isn't anything in Jackson that remains as a landmark to the Freedom Rides, unlike Birmingham, Montgomery has a Civil Rights tour not to mention the Civil Rights Memorial.

Civil Rights Audio Tour - Montgomery Alabama - Convention & Visitor Bureau

Old 02-01-2013, 02:13 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Oh, I'm so glad I found this before your Civil Rights Pilgrimage this March! Here's the glorious Civil Rights mural painted by artist and crusader Patrick Grogan! When I was searching for a photo of the masterpiece, I missed this one, because I didn't realize those were Food Court tables at the bottom of the photo.

King Freak | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

And if the association implied by pairing the words 'King' and 'Freak' is what I think the Jackson Free Press is saying (and the graphics guy didn't just get the words in reverse order when he was doing the cover layout), then Grogan is a total expert on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and so the mural is especially significant and a real shrine. The article below the photo tells of Mr. Grogan's latest Civil Rights Martyrdom/Conceptual Art Event. You can see that by visiting this mural/shrine, you will be part of history in the making. Instead of a Gospel Brunch at your nearest House of Blues franchise, you could be having a mid-afternoon Calzone and Diet Pepsi Prayer Snack - right there in the Food Court at the Northpark Mall, whilst looking up at that awe-inspiring work of art.

Oh, and the Jackson Free Press is the best place to find the most up-to-date Civil Rights and Grievance Industry news, strategies, and lingo. I imagine you can pick up a free copy at any hip local coffee shop, head shop, fingernail boutique or liquor store - or just visit their website!

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-01-2013 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or