U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,255 times

Advertisements

Hello folks!

I'm considering whether to take Amtrak from Chicago down to Jackson this spring. The most recent information I have is 10 years old, so I'd like to get an updated view of what it's like at the station before I decide. Would you advise a young mom and toddler to take the Amtrak there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,498,830 times
The train station in Jackson is beautiful and totally renovated. There is a brand new Hilton Garden Inn across the street just steps away.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Thank you, that information definitely sets my mind at ease!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM

1,867 posts, read 2,973,277 times
There will be dozens of people getting off the train with you, and dozens more getting on heading to New Orleans. You won't feel isolated at the station. Is someone picking you up from there?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't considered that there will be other people embarking and disembarking at the same time. Yes, I'll have someone picking me up from there (and dropping me off when we head back home). Not sure just how far in advance I need to be at the station to board the train and get settled, but I likely just haven't stumbled across that page yet on Amtrak's website.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 PM

26 posts, read 45,745 times
The train station is also bus depot. It is very clean, modern and well lit, but not necessarily a wonderful place to get a snack or linger. I would consider it perfectly safe to walk outside in daytime. And if I recall, Amtrak City of New Orleans arrives about 11:30am and departs for Chicago about 5:30pm. Both those times there's plenty of people around. Upon arrival there are some restaurants nearby but they are pretty much business-lunch places, not much in the way of fast food or toddler amusement. I would not park overnight or long term in the area and I would not wander around at night. You'll be fine. A lot of elderly MS residents make this trip on a regular basis.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Sandik, that is precisely the information I needed. Thank you so much for responding. Since I'll be getting on/off during daylight hours, we should be just fine. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson