U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 PM
 
1,100 posts, read 2,506,403 times
Reputation: 1033

Advertisements

Jackson's best chance for growth, like most cities actually, is rebuilding itself from the inside out. That means mid-rise apartment buildings downtown, or in Fondren or perhaps Belhaven Heights area...and probably over time lots of tear-downs in Eastover and maybe Woodland Hills and adjacent areas, replacing ranch houses with mansions. If you look around on google maps, it's fascinating to see what's happening in places like Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta in that regard. I would guess that those trends will eventually come to Jackson (there are already some beginnings such as all the new buildings on Capitol Street being converted into apartments and some new buildings in Fondren and some tear-downs in Eastover area), probably not for another 30 years or so though at any true scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2015, 12:19 PM
 
1,205 posts, read 900,117 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Why are we comparing Jackson to Memphis?
I did it just for the sake of comparing the demographics of two relatively poor southern cities that have African American majorities. Also, because I am pretty familiar with both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 12:24 PM
 
1,205 posts, read 900,117 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Gangs are becoming a major problem in Jackson along with many other places in Mississippi. Most mayors elected to turn a blind eye to the problem like Clarksdale mayor.

Well, gangs exist but, just from reading articles, I think the general feeling is that gang activity peaked in Jackson in the early-to-mid 1990s and isn't quite as bad now, though they certainly are still around. I think that mirrors what other cities (Memphis, Little Rock) have seen. The early 1990s were pretty rough on a lot of cities, as you had the general peak of crack cocaine usage combined with a rise and peak of gang activity. I would believe those two factors are what caused the homicide rates to spike and eventually peak in cities like Jackson, Little Rock, Memphis, etc. I wish that I could find the statistics but I believe the homicide rate in Jackson was more than double what it typically is now (it is typically 45 to 65 a year now but was 100+ for awhile in the 1990s). I didn't live in Jackson during the 90s but it must have been a scary time for residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 02:50 PM
 
575 posts, read 568,351 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Well, gangs exist but, just from reading articles, I think the general feeling is that gang activity peaked in Jackson in the early-to-mid 1990s and isn't quite as bad now, though they certainly are still around. I think that mirrors what other cities (Memphis, Little Rock) have seen. The early 1990s were pretty rough on a lot of cities, as you had the general peak of crack cocaine usage combined with a rise and peak of gang activity. I would believe those two factors are what caused the homicide rates to spike and eventually peak in cities like Jackson, Little Rock, Memphis, etc. I wish that I could find the statistics but I believe the homicide rate in Jackson was more than double what it typically is now (it is typically 45 to 65 a year now but was 100+ for awhile in the 1990s). I didn't live in Jackson during the 90s but it must have been a scary time for residents.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 03:54 PM
 
1,205 posts, read 900,117 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Well, there is actual crime data that says that crime in Jackson today isn't as bad as it was in the 1990s. It is still higher than it should be for a city the size of Jackson but not what it was back then. So, what data do you have that suggests otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Jackson, Mississippi
772 posts, read 748,709 times
Reputation: 240
I've always said crime was way up in the late 1980s, early 1990s, which attributed to the urban decay of downtown, as well as West Jackson, which fell before South Jackson did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Tupelo, Ms
700 posts, read 434,504 times
Reputation: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Well, gangs exist but, just from reading articles, I think the general feeling is that gang activity peaked in Jackson in the early-to-mid 1990s and isn't quite as bad now, though they certainly are still around. I think that mirrors what other cities (Memphis, Little Rock) have seen. The early 1990s were pretty rough on a lot of cities, as you had the general peak of crack cocaine usage combined with a rise and peak of gang activity. I would believe those two factors are what caused the homicide rates to spike and eventually peak in cities like Jackson, Little Rock, Memphis, etc. I wish that I could find the statistics but I believe the homicide rate in Jackson was more than double what it typically is now (it is typically 45 to 65 a year now but was 100+ for awhile in the 1990s). I didn't live in Jackson during the 90s but it must have been a scary time for residents.
Actually Jackson's peak homicide was in 1994/1995 at 96. It never touched 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 AM
 
1,205 posts, read 900,117 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Actually Jackson's peak homicide was in 1994/1995 at 96. It never touched 100.

Thanks for the info. Sharif, do you have the link to the crime figures from that era? I've stumbled upon them before but I searched for them yesterday before making that post and I couldn't find them. The "100+" figure was me trying to work from memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 07:49 PM
 
590 posts, read 434,045 times
Reputation: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Thanks for the info. Sharif, do you have the link to the crime figures from that era? I've stumbled upon them before but I searched for them yesterday before making that post and I couldn't find them. The "100+" figure was me trying to work from memory.
This the FBI site that provides their official figures for back to 1995. Examination will show that in 1995 Jackson had 92 murders and a population of 195,123, for a rate of 47.1/100,000. It was never much, if any higher before or since. The city always has a very high murder rate by national standards, but low in comparison to most other cities with heavily black majorities.

FBI — Crime Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2015, 12:52 AM
 
575 posts, read 568,351 times
Reputation: 571
How many murders has jackson had so far this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top