U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 AM

8 posts, read 7,917 times

Advertisements

My wife's employer is relocating us from south central Pa. to the Jackson area.
My initial thoughts of moving to Mississippi was "really" come on, any place but MS. I have been to the south before on business, and leisure, Florida, Charleston, Greenville SC, and NO. All great places except for maybe Florida but I have never lived in the south. The more I research the Jackson area the
more my negative thoughts of the area are dissipating and I have started to get excited
about the move and the change it should bring.

Let me start by saying I am just an average Joe, mid 50's and have worked in Law
Enforcement and in IT. I am looking for a quite area that should serve well
for future retirement. I do not want to live near apartment complexes. I pretty much stick to myself, and could care less about keeping pace with the neighbors. I currently live in a neighborhood with great neighbors that would do most anything for you, but mainly stick to themselves, and our not noisy. The
homes are just far enough apart to offer plenty of privacy which I prefer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hermit by any means, and would like to be close enough to
shopping and plenty of restaurants.

I would appreciate any thoughts on areas around Jackson that would best fit my needs. I originally thought of Madison but from what I have been reading this town may be a bit
too snooty for me. My wife will be working in Flowood so a short 20 minute commute for
her would be ideal. Some areas that caught my interest are Brandon, and Ridgeland, but I
was wondering why there isn't much said about the Pearl area?

I hope I can get thru the hot summers, and I am looking forward to the move.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 AM

9,497 posts, read 9,367,667 times
There's also Pearl, Clinton, and Florence.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 6,554 times
I no longer live in MS, but I lived in Jackson and Ridgeland. I commuted from Ridgeland to Flowood and to Jackson and it wasn't too bad. Traffic on County Line Road can be murderous at times and this can cause a delay in getting to the interstate. I found Old Canton Rd to be better. Is there a particular reason you don't want to live in Flowood since your wife will be working there?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,600,995 times
For some reason in reading your post, the area that immediately struck me was the "Reservoir" area, on the Rankin County side. The neighborhoods hugging the Reservoir inlets and canals along Spillway Rd were built up in the 70s and some in the 80s. And all around there there are brand-new subdivisions also. Those neighborhoods where the houses on some streets back up to the canals connecting to the Reservoir are extremely wooded, with extremely tall pine trees, and the homes are nice but quite affordable. This area is not built up commercially with lots of nice bike and walking paths. And it's very convenient to Flowood, about 10 minutes.
Depending on your price range, the "north shore", which is the area just across Pelahatchie Bay on the north side, is even more secluded. There is a subdivision called Marblehead that is right across from the "big water" as they call it, and appears to have very affordable homes.
I would also suggest the actual city of Brandon, which is a real town that has subdivisions popping up around it. There are homes of all prices and ages and this overall area seems mature and settled and is surrounded by forests and hills. It's also very convenient to Flowood. Check out an area called North Brandon Estates and another one called LeBougeois Estates, both with huge wooded lots (5 acres). This vicinity is also secluded and in no way over-developed, yet also very convenient to everything.
Both of these areas would be very liveable and you'll find you like it better than Pennsylvania.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzDiva View Post
I no longer live in MS, but I lived in Jackson and Ridgeland. I commuted from Ridgeland to Flowood and to Jackson and it wasn't too bad. Traffic on County Line Road can be murderous at times and this can cause a delay in getting to the interstate. I found Old Canton Rd to be better. Is there a particular reason you don't want to live in Flowood since your wife will be working there?
No, Flowood could be another option. I like the suggestions brickpatio made, and those areas will be explored as well. My wife and I will be coming down for a long weekend on the 18th. I hope to get a better feel of what areas most appeal to us then.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,600,995 times
Flowood is very nice. Technically most of incorporated Flowood is the commercial property along Lakeland Drive. But past the airport along either side of Lakeland Drive, from the Reservoir areas to the Castlewoods area, and then along Hwy 471 to the city of Brandon - is often referred to as Brandon because it's apparently in the Brandon postal code zone. So in that area it's really the Flowood-Reservoir area but usually is referred to as either Brandon or the Reservoir area.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Well after a 3 day house hunting marathon we found and purchased a home in the Sandalwood development in Madison on our last day in town. My wife insisted on a home with a pool, and there wasn't a whole lot of options in the surrounding area that had an inground pool in our price range.
We liked the Sandalwood development because of the mature landscaping, and homes that where not so cookiecutter, and they where spaced not so close together.
Overall from what little we seen, we liked the area, and hope to make it home for many years to come.

Just one thing about the area that I noticed as soon as we arrived.
What's up with all of the 6' wooden privacy fences everyone seems to have?
I enjoy my privacy, but have never seen so many fences in my life. LOL

Old 12-03-2013, 11:40 AM

806 posts, read 773,454 times
Tall fences make good neighbors....

A possibility on this point is that many people who end up in Jackson suburbs grow up in rural MS with a lot of privacy, solid wood fences give them an illusion of privacy with the convenience of living in a neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM

433 posts, read 686,538 times
Brandon, Mississippi would have also been a good choice. You can't go wrong with Madison though.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post

A possibility on this point is that many people who end up in Jackson suburbs grow up in rural MS with a lot of privacy, solid wood fences give them an illusion of privacy with the convenience of living in a neighborhood.
Make sense to me know.

Quote:
Very well put, I'll have to remember that saying. Positive rep to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or