Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

So, it has long bugged me that finding a proper picture of downtown Jackson Mississippi is so very difficult to find online. There have only been a few shots, from just behind the Capitol, and basically nothing else. Currently living in Mississippi I decided to take a day trip and photograph downtown Jackson to my best extent possible.

However, I found that due to the very flat terrain out there, finding an area that encompasses all of Jackson's skyline was very very difficult. I did my best by finding several parking garages and taking pictures from there, and taking up close shots of some of Jackson's more impressive skylines. I hope you enjoy the extensive photo album of downtown Jackson below.

Jackson statistics:
City population: 173,000 as of 2010
Metro population: 535,000 as of 2010
Largest city in the state, state capital.

Pretty much all the skyscrapers and shots of downtown I could manage. Still only a few decent pictures of the skyline. Problem is, the skyline is so spread out and the terrain is so flat it's difficult to capture all of it in one shot. I may have had a better chance driving up I-59, but I'm not about to park my car and walk to the bridge on a busy interstate.

The last one here is the Governor's Mansion in the heart of downtown Jackson which has now been turned into a public museum by the previous governor Hayley Barbour.

My summary is that Jackson's downtown is probably surprising to people who know little about the state or the city itself. A state as rural and stereotypically backwater as Mississippi actually does have a large city with high rises inside of it, might raise a few eyebrows. However, I found the overall design and especially the infrastructure of downtown Jackson to be severely lacking.

For a state capital, the design just seems a little screwy. Buildings seem to be placed at random, one tall then one short, then a house, then a church. There isn't a consistent urbanity even in the heart of downtown.

Secondly, the infrastructure of the city is very bad. Many of the roads in downtown Jackson are TERRIBLE to drive on. So many potholes, cracks, and uneven surfaces, you can't drive more than 25MPH without a jarring ride. Also, just outside of the downtown area, Jackson begins to deteriorate pretty quickly. Blighted neighborhoods and abandoned buildings litter the area to the west.

Overall, I think that Jackson is more than some people suspect it to be, but still, as a capital and the most populous city of the state, far behind where it could be. The city has potential, I hope it is able to capture that some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,890,159 times
Where you taking pictures on Friday around lunch? I saw a man in MSU gear taking pictures behind the Gov mansion.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Where you taking pictures on Friday around lunch? I saw a man in MSU gear taking pictures behind the Gov mansion.
Lol no. I own nothing MSU. I'm not even a Mississippi native. All these pictures were taken on January 25th.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 PM

428 posts, read 848,527 times
Thanks for uploading the pictures.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SippiStateBulldogs View Post
Thanks for uploading the pictures.
You're welcome!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 PM

772 posts, read 999,523 times
Interesting tidbit, the house that's for sale for $95,000 actually is very historical, in that it was the sight of the Mississippi School for the Deaf post-Civil War in 1871 to 1902. Before 1871 it was the Yerger family house. The main reason behind the randomly placed buildings is due to demolition of older buildings in the late 1970s and into the 1980s. A lot of old storefronts and buildings were demolished around downtown Jackson's lowest points.

West Jackson IS pretty much dilapidated and extremely dangerous (especially the Queens neighborhood). South Jackson really is no better either.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:30 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,234 times
Thanks for the photos of Jackson, a city I love dearly. I hate the fact that our downtown does not have the attractions and nightlife as some neighboring cities. Now I know some will say the population is not there however, on a nationwide level you have some very nice "downtowns" in America (Savannah, Greeville SC, Little Rock) amongst cities who populations are similar to Jackson.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Interesting tidbit, the house that's for sale for $95,000 actually is very historical, in that it was the sight of the Mississippi School for the Deaf post-Civil War in 1871 to 1902. Before 1871 it was the Yerger family house. The main reason behind the randomly placed buildings is due to demolition of older buildings in the late 1970s and into the 1980s. A lot of old storefronts and buildings were demolished around downtown Jackson's lowest points.

West Jackson IS pretty much dilapidated and extremely dangerous (especially the Queens neighborhood). South Jackson really is no better either.
Helpful insight. With its history I hope that large house is able to go to a good buyer and hopefully restored.

Your reasoning on the placement of buildings in downtown does make sense. I know that in the 1960's and 1970's was when Jackson was at the height of its population. Wasn't till the mid 80's I believe that white flight really kicked in and the city started draining population.

West Jackson seems very dangerous, only been through there a few times. North Jackson and East Jackson still seem decent and have some nice areas. An added reasoning to this is the presence of Jackson's premier suburbs which also lie to the east and the north.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM

114 posts, read 223,259 times
Default Nice Pictures

Hello. I notice your photos of Downtown Jackson, and I had been wondering would the city have more skyscrapers and office buildings soon like my home city, Chicago, IL. Nevertheless, it seems that most of the area is deserted, i.e. hardly anyone walking on the sidewalks.

Nevertheless, I know that Jackson will be better soon. Have fun and faith in God.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post
Hello. I notice your photos of Downtown Jackson, and I had been wondering would the city have more skyscrapers and office buildings soon like my home city, Chicago, IL. Nevertheless, it seems that most of the area is deserted, i.e. hardly anyone walking on the sidewalks.

Nevertheless, I know that Jackson will be better soon. Have fun and faith in God.

I can't tell if you're trolling or just ignorant, or maybe asking an honest question and being naive.

Chicago is 2.7 million people with almost 10 million people in the metro.
Jackson is 173,000 people with 535,000 in the metro.

It's pretty obvious that Chicago is going to have more skyscrapers and office buildings, it's almost 20 times the size of Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: