U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:35 PM

12 posts, read 28,525 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of places to swim in the Jackson area? I'm referring to rivers, lakes, state parks, etc., not public pools. Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Status: "Livin' the dream in the 39047..." (set 14 days ago)

883 posts, read 851,477 times
There are some smaller bodies of water that people swim; However, most lakes/rivers are muddy and infested with gators.

You will see people swimming in the Rez from time to time (especially those training for triathlons), but it's not much of a swimming destination.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 AM

772 posts, read 809,433 times
There's Mayes Lake in LeFleur's Campground right next to LeFleur's Bluff State Park, although I'm not sure if you can swim in it or not.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 PM

3,249 posts, read 4,329,428 times
If you're asking because you're about to do a movie scene (but don't want to expose your actors to the dangers of Water Moccasins, Alligator Snapping Turtles, Alligator Garfish, and Alligator Alligators - not to mention Wild Russian Boars, which infest the swamps, now...and flesh-eating bacteria), then you might want to take a cue from one of "The Great Movies of the True South", Swamp Women (1956). http://ayay.co.uk/backgrounds/b_movi...wamp-women.jpg "Filmed in the beauty and danger of the reptile-infested Louisiana Bayous!"

In the obligatory Death-by-Alligator Scene in the swamp (following the obligatory demi-nude Catfight-in-Daisydukes-and-bare-midriff-showing-blouses Scene), Beverly Garland (Or is it Marie Windsor?) is flailing-about in a swimming pool, screaming her head off. Today, you have the advantage of access to pools NOT painted Day-glo Aqua. With a dark/dull pool, it'll look just like real Swamp Water, and it will be easy to splice-in shots of the swamp of your choice. I'd call a few local landscape architects, and ask them which of their pools are painted black/grey/olive. I'm sure the Owners would get a kick out of renting their pools for that purpose - particularly if naked movie stars will be involved.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-30-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 01:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,065,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
If you're asking because you're about to do a movie scene (but don't want to expose your actors to the dangers of Water Moccasins, Alligator Snapping Turtles, Alligator Garfish, and Alligator Alligators - not to mention Wild Russian Boars, which infest the swamps, now...and flesh-eating bacteria), then you might want to take a cue from one of "The Great Movies of the True South", Swamp Women (1956). http://ayay.co.uk/backgrounds/b_movi...wamp-women.jpg "Filmed in the beauty and danger of the reptile-infested Louisiana Bayous!"

In the obligatory Death-by-Alligator Scene in the swamp (following the obligatory demi-nude Catfight-in-Daisydukes-and-bare-midriff-showing-blouses Scene), Beverly Garland (Or is it Marie Windsor?) is flailing-about in a swimming pool, screaming her head off. Today, you have the advantage of access to pools NOT painted Day-glo Aqua. With a dark/dull pool, it'll look just like real Swamp Water, and it will be easy to splice-in shots of the swamp of your choice. I'd call a few local landscape architects, and ask them which of their pools are painted black/grey/olive. I'm sure the Owners would get a kick out of renting their pools for that purpose - particularly if naked movie stars will be involved.

Thanks for contributing nothing to the OPs question. I'm sure your rambling was just what he/she was looking for.

There really aren't any large fresh bodies of water to swim in this area because of alligator concerns. You can at the Rez but it's not reccomended.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 PM

3,249 posts, read 4,329,428 times
You're very welcome, Madison2013! It's nice to be appreciated. I hope all is well with your Mom. And you're so right about the Alligators. Here's one from just yesterday, crossing the main thoroughfare over the 'Rez'. He's actually a smallish Gator, by Mississippi standards.

Ross Barnett Reservoir: Alligator on the Causeway

Old 05-31-2014, 01:32 AM

2,045 posts, read 3,286,243 times
Livingston Lake and Lake Hico were good enough for people to swim in back in the 50s, but both closed rather than let blacks in during the 60s.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:07 AM

12 posts, read 28,525 times
Thanks for your answers guys, I didn't think there was really anywhere suitable around, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:17 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,657,843 times
As far as public lakes to swim, lots of people take their boat out on the Reservoir, cast their anchor, and swim next to their boat. Also, Roosevelt State Park in Morton does have a lake for swimming. That's about 30 minutes east of Jackson along I-20. Generally regarding rivers etc, usually you hear about people boating on the Reservoir or canoeing or floating down creeks in south Mississippi such as the Strong River, Black Creek, Red Creek, the Okatoma, and others. This makes for a great summer day with a nice slow float down the river, with food drinks and friends etc. The Okatoma has rentals down Hwy 49 at Seminary, MS. I think Black Creek is considered the top for canoeing with the occasional small rapids. Strong River has a summer camp at Pinola, MS about 45 minutes south of Jackson that has little rapids that are perfect for kids to sit and play and swim in. All these rivers have beautiful, huge sand bars with white sand almost like Florida, so typically if people are swimming in creeks etc, it would probably be wading and swimming around next to the sand bars and making a day of it. If can afford to below to the Jackson Yacht Club, they have a beautiful pool just feet from the Reservoir with beautiful views. Lake Caroline has a club with a nice pool next to their lake also. To me something like that is more the way to go.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,657,843 times
Kcope,

Your question about public places to swim peaked my interest, meaning outside of Jackson and the Barnett Reservoir, which of course is full of boaters and skiers (not so much swimming usually but it's doable obviously, and privately owned Lake Caroline.). So I did a little searching on the internet. First, a great resource for outdoor recreation in Mississippi is Buffalo Peaks Outfitters in Highland Village. It's kind of an upscale outdoors store but locally owned and designed as a great resource for people locally this kind of thing.

From what I found, in addition to Roosevelt State Park, I also found that Lake Lincoln state park in Brookhaven also has a swimming beach. South of that is Percy Quinn State Park in McComb, which has a beautiful golf course and large lake, which a couple of years ago was having some work done on it but may be finished by now.

Of course down on the Coast, you can take the ferry to Ship Island, for beaches right on the Gulf of Mexico. The water there is pretty close to Florida gulf waters, just a little more medium green as opposed to clear turquoise at Destin, Florida. Also on the coast, check out South Coast Paddling Company which appears to arrange very nice kayaking and canoeing all around the rivers, bays, and gulf waters around the Coast.

In South Mississippi, towards Hattiesburg and McComb, I found websites for Okatoma Outdoor Post; Black Creek Canoe Rental; Mississippi Gulf Coast Kayaking; Seminary Canoe; Wolf River Canoes; Canoe and Trail Outpost; Ryals Canoe and Tube Rental; Gator's at Bogue Chitto River; Dogwood Tube, and Canoe and Kayak. These would be lovely ways to access South Mississippi's many beautiful, fast-flowing creeks and rivers, beautiful sandbars and nature all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or