Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:46 PM

29 posts, read 53,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I think that Jackson is just the place for you! Fondren abounds with opportunities for experiencing ethnic cuisines and hookahs and such-as. And there are plenty of white girls with big nonwhite boyfriends. Dowager Soybean Empress (a friend who occasionally risks driving up from the Delta in one of her Jaguars, which really function better as giant pieces of enameled jewelry than as viable transportation, "...like goin' down the road in a big, giant Faberge Egg..."), a few years back, even emailed me to report that one of those girls was actually pretty. She was a blonde with a Harrison County tag, enjoying a five-minute uber-public French-kiss with what appeared to be an almost-muscular pimp or drug dealer, but who probably was a football-standout, aspiring poet and Rap artist.

"Well there they were, thirty feet from all that traffic where Old Canton meets Lakeland, standing right there in the parking lot, as in blocking people trying to find a parking space, "sharing a kiss" in a way that pretty-much declared that they wanted to make a statement about Interracial Love and courage and Civil Rights and "aren't we special?". Had it been the seventh decade of the last century of the previous millennium, I would have been mightily impressed by their 'courageous statement' and all. But Jaguars overheat at the drop of the hat, and don't like to idle... and I just wanted to git into the damn Rainbow Co-Op and git my damn Seaweed Croquettes so I could git my hiney to Clarksdale in time to git my roots done.

"Kids were walking toward Cups (THE Coffee shop hangout for Jacktown's Urban Hipsters) and looking at those two with expressions that said "Get real..." and "Gimme a break..." and "Oh, pahleez!" I think the two were both in bluejeans and white teeshirts, which I consider to be the uniform-of-choice for Conformist-Narcissists who think they're supposed to be "rebels". I don't know if they'd seen the Miata commercial that told people of that mindset how they were supposed to dress Car Lust: Mazda Miata @20 , or if they'd been watching James Dean movies."

When I'm at a gym just outside Jackson, all the young men seem to be busy texting. Occasionally, one will pull his shirt up, and take a photo. Sometimes, those will go to their modeling agents https://www.google.com/search?q=stev...ml%3B565%3B750 , but mostly, those pics go instantly to young women who are eager to pounce upon the lads. (I've been known to hold the device taking the pic/video...) There are plenty of big fellas in all the shades of the Crayola Multicultral Crayon Rainbow. And some of them don't discriminate against hefty young ladies. There are several Black-Bodybuilder/Rubenesque-White-Girl couples at that gym, in fact. Non-discrimination is a wonderful thing. Inclusiveness is beautiful. And the best way for you to get included, around Jackson, is to go online and avail yourself of the social networking venues there.

As a non-prejudiced, diversity-loving person, you will be free to enjoy the beauties and pleasures of the entire city of Jackson. - things which less open-minded souls have deemed "off-limits". Your freedom from prejudice will keep you safe, as you shop beautiful MetroCenter, take a leisurely stroll down historic Farish Street, and take in the sights along the verdant streets of West Jackson - on the way to the Jackson Zoo and beautiful Mynelle Gardens. And since you, appreciative of Diversity, will be free to choose from the housing stock of the entire city, I'm sure you will quickly find a wonderful home at a wonderful price!

People moved to the suburbs because they allowed themselves to be deluded by perceptions of crime in Jackson. Obviously, it was the wrong thing to do. Because, one need only to remember that seminal scene in Peter Pan, when Tinkerbell was dying, and it was explained that if everybody got together and just believed in Fairies, then Tinkerbell would be heeee-yuhlll-ed-ah!!! (I seem to be have been channeling Jimmy Swaggart for a second, there, for some reason. Maybe because I was thinking about the glories of Magical Thinking.)

Well, Jackson could have been like Tinkerbell. If only people had gotten-together and believed, then things would have gotten better and better. Instead, they moved into pseudo-Cajunesque 'fine brick dream homes', with granite countertops... out in the suburbs, where they only perceive that they are happy and free from the threat of crime.

I think that taking the messianic approach to life in Jackson is the right way to go about it. When confronted with a new opportunity, just ask yourself, "WWABD?" (What would Amy Biehl do?) - with that attitude, you can't go wrong!
THIS is awesome! I'm about to cry from laughing so hard! GG you've outdone yourself on this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM

29 posts, read 53,460 times
Jackson is not really a great place for twenty-sometings, especially if you are looking for a midsize city with culture and a vibe. The only reason I'm here is for college and once I'm done I'm out of here. For the desires in a city you listed, I would suggest looking for a job in midsize cities such as Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham, and of course my hometown, New Orleans.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 AM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,702 times
I read that Fondren Public is the new hotspot for 20-somethings. Lots of exposed brick, craft beers, and reportedly a very large and groovy patio in the back. It's located catty-corner to the university medical center, just a few doors down from Cups.

Also, although not necessarily for the 20-something crowd, there is a neat new restaurant called Manship. It's located urban-style on the first-floor corner location of the new Belhaven building across the street from Baptist hospital. Has a upscale feel to it.

People are finally beginning to initiate construction again. There are several elegant, new mansions popping up along Eastover drive and in the vicinity and the District at Eastover is very much under construction. I guess getting at the point of this post, it seems that as this section of the city rebuilds and expands (i.e. Belhaven, Fondren, Eastover, and downtown) the city will become increasingly attractive to the younger crowd. When the new Pearl River lake comes along, that will be another lovely building block for the city.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:12 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,017 times
Fondren After 5 is a great event that the Fondren community holds on the first Thursday of every month where live bands play, and a number of activities, plus Brent's Drugs has a pub that opens at night called The Apothecary which is an old style kind of pub. I would say for twenty somethings, the communities of Fondren, Belhaven, Downtown, & Midtown are probably the best places to find things for your age to do.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,917 times
I too want the best for Jackson, but looking though unrealistic rose colored glasses puts us even further behind. Stating "There are several elegant, new mansions popping up along Eastover drive" is a significant overstatement and Pearl River Lake is not even a thought. The lake would be great, but too many competing interests and the US Corps of Engineers doom the project. Jackson can't even close the deal on the 200 feet of Farish St between the Federal Building and MC law school (been working on it 20+ years and it is 75% complete).

Old 10-01-2014, 04:18 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
My understanding regarding at least two of those 'Elegant New Mansions' is that the (callipygian in the extreme, and I do mean epic) person building them does not necessarily use architects (presumably, this means they are 'Plan House Specials'), and that they fall short of Eastover Norms in several other ways (Drainage not worked out very well... lawsuit pending... : "Minimal shrubbery, like you'd see on a FHA Home in Pearl..." ). Being beautiful has its advantages.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:11 PM

62 posts, read 145,964 times
I'm a mid-twenty-something that moved to Jackson (well, Flowood/Brandon area) from DC about 3 1/2 years ago. Here's my take.. As far as nightlife goes.. There is some nightlife. Nothing to write home about. Nothing that compares to Houston, or Austin, or Birmingham, or Mobile, or Memphis.. There a bars worth going to where you'll meet people. Fondren Public, Shuckers, George St., Hal & Mals, Pelican Cove, Bulldog, Underground 119, F Jones. The problem is, there's no centralized "nightlife area" where you can bar hop. Wherever you go.. You're stuck unless you call a cab or have a DD.

I'd recommend living in apartments in Brandon, Flowood, or Ridgeland. I did this for a few years and met some great friends. Most of these apartments are full of young professionals and college students.

The bottom line is, it's what you make of it. There are a lot of transplants like yourself here. If you put in the effort to meet people and make the most of what this place has to offer, you could enjoy it while you're here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson