Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:26 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Agree, that really hurts the city. I hope the political leaders get it turned around, but fear the task may be too big.

Getting crime and the perception of crime under control is the first step, but i believe the criminal justice system is so soft in Hinds County there ain't much hope.
Crime was not an issue for me. If it appears that an area is full of life, the crime is not a factor for me. I also live in a city that the perception of crime has caused a lot of issues... And it still does. Anytime a new development comes to downtown Birmingham, people from all over make statements about how people will be shot and murdered, etc. None of these things have come to pass.

However, if there is a crime problem downtown, they need to fix it.... But I'm afraid the perception of crime lingers much longer after the crime goes away. They just need to get to planning and building and it will work itself.

Birmingham recently developed the massive Railroad Park and adjacent to that built Region's Field to bring our baseball team back downtown... Naysayers that it would be crime-ridden but it has been exactly the opposite. People are flocking downtown to both venues and then filing out of these venues into local breweries, bars, and restaurants.

I can foresee something like this happening in Jackson very soon if the leaders get behind it. Maybe they are already. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 11:32 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Our "leaders" have no vision, and are now standing around watching Costco move to Ridgeland.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:20 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,664 times
Well, I don't really know anything about the leaders in Jackson but it appears that way. News about continued exodus to "the burbs" shouldn't be something applauded when it comes to the growth of a city. I almost hate to see when things like this become news.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:48 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,452 times
I can't fault Jackson for this. Costco clearly wants interstate access property. There just isn't any available sites along 55 to make them happy. Jackson needs businesses and I hope they can work something out but it doesn't look good.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
you chose to inform us that the "...Lower Level is completely vacant." Maybe they could stock the Lower Level with Zombies, safely viewable from the balcony corridors of the Upper Level.
I think you may have the solution to all the Metrocenter Mall's problems! May I suggest an addition? Take all the ne'er-do-wells in the city and make them run the lower level zombie gauntlet, charge admission, and profit!

Old 11-21-2014, 04:13 AM

772 posts, read 999,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Our "leaders" have no vision, and are now standing around watching Costco move to Ridgeland.
Costco is NOT moving to Ridgeland. The false job posting was an ERROR on the company's part.

Costco is still working with Mayor Yarber on a place for them to locate, and as I said in a previous post, I think the area of I-220 and US 80, more specifically the Metrocenter Mall vicinity would be great!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Costco is NOT moving to Ridgeland. The false job posting was an ERROR on the company's part.

Costco is still working with Mayor Yarber on a place for them to locate, and as I said in a previous post, I think the area of I-220 and US 80, more specifically the Metrocenter Mall vicinity would be great!
It doesn't matter what you think would be great. I also agree that it would be great, but it's not going to happen.
Costco is not moving to a low income area such as I220/US80 intersection. Plus it's too far south, so it limits the number of customers who would come from Madison county.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Think what you want but there is a reason why there isn't a good big box retailer over there.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:36 PM

772 posts, read 999,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Costco is not moving to a low income area such as I220/US80 intersection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Think what you want but there is a reason why there isn't a good big box retailer over there.
Yarber: Costco 'Softer' on Lakeland Demand | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

"Whether it's (on Lakeland) or other flourishing areas on (Interstates) 55, 20 or 220, it remains to be seen. Costco has made clear to us over the last couple of weeks that their commitment is to be in this market."

I wouldn't be so quick to assume guys.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Yarber: Costco 'Softer' on Lakeland Demand | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

"Whether it's (on Lakeland) or other flourishing areas on (Interstates) 55, 20 or 220, it remains to be seen. Costco has made clear to us over the last couple of weeks that their commitment is to be in this market."

I wouldn't be so quick to assume guys.
You assume that this "market" means locating in Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson