Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 05:05 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Or, maybe the people value low taxes, good schools, clean environment, smart planners, competent government, safe neighborhoods, not living next door to bus routes and liquor stores. It's not the suburban families fault that Jackson is a dump.

So who is doing the backwards thinking? The growing suburbs or Jackson?
Well, like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, most people these days prefer character, charm, walkability, cafes next door, book shops on the corner, a thriving nightlife... None of which the suburbs have to offer. Millennials are getting married much later and thus having kids much later so schools aren't really a big deal. Millennials expect to have amenities with things to do around the clock. I don't expect you to understand and you don't have to. There's plenty of room in the sprawling suburbs for the people who feel that way. However, I don't think that opinion should hinder the potential of downtown Jackson.

And what's wrong with living next to a bus stop? Public transit is a great thing for the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 05:39 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Well, like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, most people these days prefer character, charm, walkability, cafes next door, book shops on the corner, a thriving nightlife... None of which the suburbs have to offer. Millennials are getting married much later and thus having kids much later so schools aren't really a big deal. Millennials expect to have amenities with things to do around the clock. I don't expect you to understand and you don't have to. There's plenty of room in the sprawling suburbs for the people who feel that way. However, I don't think that opinion should hinder the potential of downtown Jackson.

And what's wrong with living next to a bus stop? Public transit is a great thing for the environment.
How does the things you listed relate to Jackson? Are we going to turn this into a what does Jackson have and what do the suburbs have? Cause if so you're not going to win that argument.

1. Jackson has character? Sure. A lot of it bad.

2. Charm? Really?

3. Walk ability? Jackson's got that. Not that I as a parent would let any if my kids walk around Jackson.

4. Cafés? That's not bringing people back to Jackson.

5. Book shops? Not a lot in Jackson. Books are a dying business.

6. Nightlife? Jackson's got it.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:10 PM

I don't think you comprehend what I'm saying at all. I couldn't care less what the suburbs have just as you've shown that you don't care about Jackson. However, the conversation is about the future and the potential of Jackson. Jackson has potential that the suburbs can never have. I don't think Jackson is particularly charming. But it can be. I don't see any fathomable way that Madison could ever be. For the future of others, don't advocate tearing down beautiful old buildings. You may not care for but the younger generation does.

I don't wish to argue with you over the suburbs vs Jackson because the suburbs have very little and seemingly a lot for you. I won't lose that argument and you won't win.

Your list about Jackson was trivial as I was referring to the potential of Jackson and not its current state.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I don't think you comprehend what I'm saying at all. I couldn't care less what the suburbs have just as you've shown that you don't care about Jackson. However, the conversation is about the future and the potential of Jackson. Jackson has potential that the suburbs can never have. I don't think Jackson is particularly charming. But it can be. I don't see any fathomable way that Madison could ever be. For the future of others, don't advocate tearing down beautiful old buildings. You may not care for but the younger generation does.

I don't wish to argue with you over the suburbs vs Jackson because the suburbs have very little and seemingly a lot for you. I won't lose that argument and you won't win.

Your list about Jackson was trivial as I was referring to the potential of Jackson and not its current state.
And the potential is what? Millennials are going to swoop in and transform the city? Because you have a (albeit tiny) nightlife? I'm not impressed. And from the looks of things neither are a lot of other people. If you want to talk about real things the city can/should do then that would be a great conversation but silly things like "Millennials don't care about schools" and "cafés" and "bookstores" aren't the answer.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:33 PM

You really don't seem to understand what I'm saying. I would suggest that you go back and read everything I've written on this thread. You seem to be getting confused. First of all, I don't live in Jackson or even the state of Mississippi.

Secondly, cafes and book stores aren't all I've written about. You're just taking the last thing I say and using it out of context.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:42 PM

I know you don't live in Jackson by looking at your comment history, but since you are here defending the city and bashing where I live (the suburbs) I figured you could attempt to justify your thoughts. But I guess it's easier to look at a horribly run city with rose colored glasses.

Why you want to argue about a city you don't live in is beyond me.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 PM

I can defend what I'm saying but I would rather not repeat myself when you can read through the thread.

To your last point, why would you bash a city that you don't live in?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I can defend what I'm saying but I would rather not repeat myself when you can read through the thread.

To your last point, why would you bash a city that you don't live in?
That's just it, you can't defend it.

And why do I bash the city that is in my MSA? Why bash the city that affects where I live? Why bash the city that's 10 miles from me? Are you serious? I live here. You don't. But thanks for your input. It's been real helpful I'm sure.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,205 times
Well the hot thing in most downtowns in America today are downtown condos/apartments/lofts. And Jackson's got plenty of them& more currently on the way! And downtown Jackson is totally walkable, people are walking/jogging/running on a daily through downtown.

Granted I DO think a Walgreens down on Capitol Street, with obviously a CVS across the street or in the near vicinity as all Walgreens and CVS stores do, would be nice! But with two of those already close to downtown over on State Street, that may not happen. Maybe a local drug store?

Another thing is the hours of the Chick Fil-A on Amite Street in the Regions Plaza. The Chick Fil-A closes at 4 Mon-Fri & it isn't even open on Saturdays, WTH! What's hindering them is the fact that they are operating out of the Regions Plaza that pre-determines their hours of operation. Moving over to Capitol Street would be a great addition! Plus they could have regular hours that every other Chick Fil-A has!

Same goes for Cups, Subway, & McAllister's, all located downtown but have funky hours and aren't open on the weekends!

I think the coming Mississippi History Museum & Civil Rights Museum will be great additions to downtown! And JSU's proposed arena & the proposed baseball stadium would add oodles of traffic as well as foot traffic to the area!

Oh and another thing, I've been lobbying for awhile now for a JCPenney's & a Dillards to locate at the intersection of Congress Street & Capitol Street in the old Kennington's building and another great building right across the street from that one. If you don't what I mean go to Google Maps and type North Congress St & East Capitol Street and you'll see the two buildings I'm talking about.

Downtown lacks shopping, and I often have to tell patrons of the hotel I work at downtown that your nearest shopping option would be the Outlets of Mississippi or Highland Village.

Again, I'll repeat it, I think a Dillards & JCPenneys need to locate downtown not far from the Governor's Mansion, they both would bring great things for downtown being the first real shopping options for the area in YEARS.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post

Again, I'll repeat it, I think a Dillards & JCPenneys need to locate downtown not far from the Governor's Mansion, they both would bring great things for downtown being the first real shopping options for the area in YEARS.
If any store thought they could make money downtown then they would have moved there. Have you ever taken an economics course?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson