Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:35 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,396,437 times

Advertisements

Wasn't there plans for a theater in Fondren?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Speaking of Poindexter Popquez, the Poindexter area was in a Jackson Free Press article recently along with the redevelopment plan for west Jackson. I believe the article was called Westward Expansion, but it showcased a photograph of several buildings on West Capitol Street just past the Greyhound bus station, that could host a small movie theater that would be great! The area of Poindexter is very unique, and I would love to see Poindexter Park become a focal of a community again.
This article?

Westward Expansion | JFP Mobile | Jackson, Mississippi

Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popquez87 View Post
Golden Eagles, the Forever 21 is located at the outlets in Pearl. Similar to H&M, it is one of the hugely popular - and still growing in popularity - clothing brands that target teens/college students/young adults on a budget with trendy fashions. I just think it would make more sense to put Forever 21, H&M and a potential Urban Outfitters in the same mall or shopping area instead of in completely different counties.
I believe I'm thinking of Rue 21. Didn't they used to be in the strip behind Mazzio's?

Old 01-29-2015, 06:45 AM

772 posts, read 992,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I believe I'm thinking of Rue 21. Didn't they used to be in the strip behind Mazzio's?
Rue 21 is who is in Northpark that I was mistaking for Forever 21! Too many 21s!! But yeah that's the correct JFP article, and it's a good one at that!

Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 AM

I was at Metrocenter last night, and I lived to tell about it! It was the first time in about six months that I've been there. It looks even emptier than it did then. If it weren't for Burlington Coat Factory, city of Jackson offices, and a new owner with improvement plans, I'd call for a wrecking ball (w/o Miley Cyrus, of course!) and a few sticks of dynamite. The bottom floor was emptier than downtown after 6! The few national chains there are mainly athletic stores like Champs and Hibbett Sports.

Which brings me back to Northpark. Maybe it's not quite as grand as it used to, but it and the County Line Rd. corridor is still viable and vibrant. CLR is still a traffic nightmare at times, which isn't the case if it were a dying area. Maybe it'll take a few years to see it.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I was at Metrocenter last night, and I lived to tell about it! It was the first time in about six months that I've been there. It looks even emptier than it did then. If it weren't for Burlington Coat Factory, city of Jackson offices, and a new owner with improvement plans, I'd call for a wrecking ball (w/o Miley Cyrus, of course!) and a few sticks of dynamite. The bottom floor was emptier than downtown after 6! The few national chains there are mainly athletic stores like Champs and Hibbett Sports.

Which brings me back to Northpark. Maybe it's not quite as grand as it used to, but it and the County Line Rd. corridor is still viable and vibrant. CLR is still a traffic nightmare at times, which isn't the case if it were a dying area. Maybe it'll take a few years to see it.
The bottom floor is so empty, because retailers were told that it was going to be turned into a loft apartment type deal a few years back.

But the CLR area isn't dying, although I think yet another business left the area recently. There was a Karate program right there behind Whataburger and I think they've recently vacated the building. It's at CLR & I-55.

But that area isn't dying, and I have a feeling that maybe the city of Ridgeland has a plan for the area of Northpark in case they ever feel like it is dying or about to die. Maybe the city wouldn't make the same mistake like Jackson and watch MetroCenter go down in flames so to speak.

The city already came out with a new ordinance for apartment complexes in Ridgeland to prove they need a lot of their units or tear them down completely. The city is also grabbing to demolish the aging apartment complexes on Pine Knoll Drive off of Old Canton Road including Baymeadows.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,340,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
The bottom floor is so empty, because retailers were told that it was going to be turned into a loft apartment type deal a few years back.

wut?????

Old 02-01-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
wut?????
Yeah I know! I think it was another David Watkins baby that died inside the womb. It seems like the only project he managed to complete was the restoration & reopening of the King Edward Hotel.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,340,781 times
If they were really planning such a idiotic idea then I worry about that property and it's ability to stay afloat.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
If they were really planning such a idiotic idea then I worry about that property and it's ability to stay afloat.
Well the people that currently own it have plans that are actually realizable & it isn't some far, out there plan for an indoor waterpark alas Mr. Watkins! The current owners really just want to bring the mall back to prominence.

It could be realized, but it's gonna get worse before it gets better. Outdoor malls are the thing right now, and maybe in 30-40 years indoor malls will come back in popularity, & places like MetroCenter & Northpark will resurge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson