U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,099,534 times

Advertisements

I've heard and read many opinions from people who believe that Northpark Mall is slowly becoming the next Metrocenter. While there are more local businesses there than before, there are still more than enough national brands to keep it viable. In fact, H&M located a new store there last year with much fanfare (though I don't know what the hype's all about, but I digress). Some also express disdain at the number of teenagers who overrun the mall on a Saturday night, and (it's coming)...the minorities! I don't see anywhere close to the number of empty stores as I do in Metrocenter.

No one will deny that the Northpark/County Line Road corridor isn't as dominant a retail giant as it once was, now that they have competition with the Dogwood area in Flowood, the outlet mall in Pearl, and in its own backyard with the Renaissance at Colony Park. Though with limited retail spaces, the Township and the upcoming District at Eastover will become more thorns in Northpark's side.

One thing that doesn't bode well for Northpark is that enclosed malls are becoming less relevant, as fresher, less-imposing and more inviting open-air "lifestyle centers" like Dogwood and the Renaissance have become the norm in mall construction. Deadmalls.com documents many enclosed malls that are either becoming ghost towns, have closed or completely torn down.

I don't expect Northpark to be seen on deadmalls.com anytime soon, but what can they do to keep themselves viable and stay off that site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 AM

772 posts, read 834,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I've heard and read many opinions from people who believe that Northpark Mall is slowly becoming the next Metrocenter. While there are more local businesses there than before, there are still more than enough national brands to keep it viable. In fact, H&M located a new store there last year with much fanfare (though I don't know what the hype's all about, but I digress). Some also express disdain at the number of teenagers who overrun the mall on a Saturday night, and (it's coming)...the minorities! I don't see anywhere close to the number of empty stores as I do in Metrocenter.

No one will deny that the Northpark/County Line Road corridor isn't as dominant a retail giant as it once was, now that they have competition with the Dogwood area in Flowood, the outlet mall in Pearl, and in its own backyard with the Renaissance at Colony Park. Though with limited retail spaces, the Township and the upcoming District at Eastover will become more thorns in Northpark's side.

One thing that doesn't bode well for Northpark is that enclosed malls are becoming less relevant, as fresher, less-imposing and more inviting open-air "lifestyle centers" like Dogwood and the Renaissance have become the norm in mall construction. Deadmalls.com documents many enclosed malls that are either becoming ghost towns, have closed or completely torn down.

I don't expect Northpark to be seen on deadmalls.com anytime soon, but what can they do to keep themselves viable and stay off that site?
In a time where, like you said, indoor malls are falling out of style, one thing that I've noticed is extremely DATED architecture! Take example the JCPenneys ... It's in dire need of a renovation! It screams 1980s!! Heck, label scar is present on the Dillards building from when McRae's was there! It too screams 1980s! The front facade of the mall itself went under a renovation in 1997, and I think it's time the rest of the mall goes under renovation! The interior was also updated in '97, but the exterior has not! The exterior of a mall is just as important as the interior!

Belk's has been updated, but Penneys & Dillards has not, and I think it's time! Overall, just make the mall look more visually appealing! They've repaved part of Ring Road, but not all of it and I think they should complete the repaving! Another thing might be the Northpark Cinema ... Ever since Malco Grandview opened in Madison, Northpark's Cinema has gone WAY downhill to the point where I don't know how they afford to stay open because hardly anyone goes there anymore! It's competition and age that has killed Northpark Cinema & I think maybe it's time to go.

The cinema could be torn down, and maybe extra parking in it's place, but honestly Northpark wasn't even that crowded during the Christmas season this past year and that worried me! So I don't know what they can do about the cinema, but it isn't attracting the number of patrons it needs to be attracting in a high density area such as that one!

Overall, if I were Northpark, I'd just hang on for the ride, update the exterior of the retailers, & close the cinema.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:56 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,106,687 times
There really isn't much the mall can do. It would cost a fortune to renovate such a huge property like a mall. Meanwhile JC Penny's could file for chapter 11 in 2015 because older big box stores like Penny's and Sears are dying.

I think the Ridgeland powers that be need to have a contingency plan because I'm afraid dark days are on the horizon for that mall. Let's talk about what should be put in its place if/when it closes down.

Neighborhood?
Health complex?
School?
Park?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
There really isn't much the mall can do. It would cost a fortune to renovate such a huge property like a mall. Meanwhile JC Penny's could file for chapter 11 in 2015 because older big box stores like Penny's and Sears are dying.

I think the Ridgeland powers that be need to have a contingency plan because I'm afraid dark days are on the horizon for that mall. Let's talk about what should be put in its place if/when it closes down.

Neighborhood?
Health complex?
School?
Park?
Well I'm like you and thinking that if Northpark Mall ever does die out and the mall does have like 95% vacancy, then yes maybe it needs to be demolished so that the surrounding area won't go down with it.

But then I have NO idea what they'd put in it's place! These place has like 5 entrances and it's in too crowded of an area for a school, a park wouldn't fit there, and there's really not enough space to put a neighborhood there. A health complex could be nice, but then again I have no idea.

It'd be a real tough one to figure what to do with the land if Northpark is ever demolished in the event that it is a dying/dead mall.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:11 PM

Some kind of mixed-use development, perhaps? Still, I think the complete demise of Northpark is quite a long ways off. It's still the retail center for the north Jackson/southern Madison County area. The Renaissance, while being a formidable competition, can't knock down Northpark by itself. It will take another large-scale retail development to do it. I don't know of any plans for another mall in the area besides the Galleria in Madison. There's no telling when that will happen.

Should Northpark meet its demise, it would be the perfect site for an arena. Maybe, Jackson will have gotten its act together by then and have one. Again, Northpark's demise should be a long time from happening.

Last edited by golden eagles fan; 01-23-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,901,780 times
The short answer is yes. I find this really unfortunate mainly because I prefer indoor malls as opposed to the current trend of outdoor, lifestyle centers. I tried to shop at Northpark at the first of December, and my experience was so terrible that I even sent an email to the mall management about why I will never shop there again. First of all there are no longer any stores there that I can't shop at a different location and find a much better selection. However, I don't think that's the mall's fault because the demographics of the city around the mall are changing much like what happened with Metrocenter. Also the popularity of Renaissance and Dogwood have given shoppers somewhere else to shop their favorite stores that have since pulled out of Northpark. It was the behavior of the workers at most of the kiosks on the bottom level that did it for me. I have never sent a letter or email to a business about the service or treatment by employees that I experienced, but I did in this instance because it saddened me that I no longer felt comfortable shopping there. Walking along the lower level, especially on the end of the food court, I felt like I was walking down the Midway at the state fair with carnival workers yelling at me to guess my age or wait. Except there it is expected and part of the experience. I was pushing my two year old in a stroller, and I was surrounded by three men from a kiosk that were saying things like hey baby where do you think you are going. I said well I'm going to the food court to get sons lunch. They weren't even trying to sell me a package of the family portraits that it appeared from their kiosk that they were being paid to sell. They wanted me to know that their shift ended at five and did I want to party. I responded with are you freaking kidding me and pushe through them. One of them yelled at me that I was an uppity, white b***h as I walked away. I was so mad I was shaking, and I was yelled at by the following two kiosks as I walked torwards the food court, although those workers had the decency not to surround me to stop me. I agree that the mall cannot control what stores pull out, and I completely understand that they have to rent to everyone willing to pay the money to be there to keep it going, but I felt like they should be aware of the conduct of the employees working there, and that they needed to be aware of that maybe three bad apples of the whole lot had cost them a customer. I never received a response.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 PM

That's terrible. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 PM

Well to my knowledge not a lot of stores have pulled out from Northpark recently. I know KB Toys pulled out a long time ago, but that was because the whole company went bankrupt I believe and that was in the 2000s I believe when that happened! None of the anchors have pulled out or have even considered it & if Penneys happens to go bankrupt this year not only will Northpark feel it, but so will Dogwood! No doubt the Penneys at Northpark would probably go first though.

And as far as the "changing demographics" are you serious? So what are you saying, that the demographics are changing to mostly Black? HA! While that has some truth to that a lot of people of the White color still live in the area & crime is non-existent in the area! The area of MetroCenter had crime running rampant by the late 1980s, and people were becoming scared and that's why they left. The neighborhoods around Northpark are just as safe as they were 10-15 years ago.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:12 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,901,780 times
Do you shop at Northpark? You haven't realized stores are leaving? Just off the top if my head Banana Republic, Gap, Coldwater Creek, Chico's, Lane Bryant, Kirkland's, and Ruby Tuesday have all left for greener pastures. The Belks and Penny's have terrible selections compared to what they have at Dogwood.

No, I don't mean blacks. I'm talking about money. The people that have it to spare to spend on pricey retail items are leaving the area, and the people left are not going to waste their time shopping in a mall that the nice retail stores have pulled out of leaving stores with cheap junk. I'm sorry, but 579 and other stores if the like are not going to draw people with a lot of spending power.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,106,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Well to my knowledge not a lot of stores have pulled out from Northpark recently.
wut???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson