Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:50 AM

772 posts, read 1,000,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Be careful what you dish for, remember how long it took to finish Fortification? Riverside is in bad shape too.
Riverside IS in bad shape! But I didn't appreciate the media coverage on the reworking of Fortification Street by Bert Case. Case tried to make the project more of a race issue, than an infrastructure issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,807 times
When did Bert do that? I'm rather fascinated as to why he'd spin it as a race issue.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 AM

60 posts, read 68,402 times
Because east fortification is catered to belhaven. The cleanup of the area wasn't for the many more residents in midtown. If you're gonna fix a street I should be for residents not people who come in the city and snake our jobs. The people work at the baptist do not live there the people in that surrounding area and all of Jackson needs a transformation to increase the quality of life for the people who live here. Not commuters.!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU_JXNGent View Post
Because east fortification is catered to belhaven. The cleanup of the area wasn't for the many more residents in midtown. If you're gonna fix a street I should be for residents not people who come in the city and snake our jobs. The people work at the baptist do not live there the people in that surrounding area and all of Jackson needs a transformation to increase the quality of life for the people who live here. Not commuters.!
Well I'm sorry to say, but that's the story for every big city nowadays. I'll use Detroit as an example, but there is a large percentage of people that work in Detroit, but live in the suburban areas, and in Detroit's case, some of those suburbs are 30 minutes to an hour away from the city center!

Now not everyone that works at Baptist is a commuter, don't just assume that, because it's likely not true.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
When did Bert do that? I'm rather fascinated as to why he'd spin it as a race issue.
Because the section of Fortification that was getting reworked ran from I-55 to North Mill Street, & Bert had the audacity to go about asking a Jackson resident how did they feel about the White side of the road being completed before the Black side ... ? I guess Bert considered the Black side to be the area of North Mill Street. Come to think about it, Bert never even had to apologize for those comments either!

Old 02-18-2015, 05:39 PM

I wouldn't have even thought of it as a racial issue, and I'm black. I think it's safe to say that the portion from I-55 to State Street is more heavily traveled than the rest, so it stood to reason that the Belhaven portion would be done first. Also, the portion from Palmyra Street westward to Woodrow Wilson was resurfaced a decade ago. I could've argued that it was the worst stretch of road in Jackson.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't have even thought of it as a racial issue, and I'm black. I think it's safe to say that the portion from I-55 to State Street is more heavily traveled than the rest, so it stood to reason that the Belhaven portion would be done first. Also, the portion from Palmyra Street westward to Woodrow Wilson was resurfaced a decade ago. I could've argued that it was the worst stretch of road in Jackson.
Well I think that title belongs to North State Street, from about Cedars of Lebanon Road, all the way to Fondren! That section of road is a pig trail almost!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 PM

I live near that section of State Street. I drive on neighborhood streets to keep from driving down it as much as possible.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:33 AM

60 posts, read 68,402 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have even thought of it as a racial issue, and I'm black. I think it's safe to say that the portion from I-55 to State Street is more heavily traveled than the rest, so it stood to reason that the Belhaven portion would be done first.
Bailey to state by way of fortification gets more traffic by people actually live there.! All im saying is it would've been best to integrate busy bailey ave vs that long stretch from 55 to fortification to state. Id bet if the area west of fortification was majority white that side of fortification corridor would've been taken care of first.! More people drive bailey ave than that come off and up that exit. Just more whites come off that exit than from bailey lol. Its not about making the city better it was about making belhaven residents students baptist employees and "their majority" comfortable on there treacherous ride to and through Jackson...

Old 02-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU_JXNGent View Post
Bailey to state by way of fortification gets more traffic by people actually live there.! All im saying is it would've been best to integrate busy bailey ave vs that long stretch from 55 to fortification to state. Id bet if the area west of fortification was majority white that side of fortification corridor would've been taken care of first.! More people drive bailey ave than that come off and up that exit. Just more whites come off that exit than from bailey lol. Its not about making the city better it was about making belhaven residents students baptist employees and "their majority" comfortable on there treacherous ride to and through Jackson...
Well somewhere in there lies a point! A lot of the roads in parts of town that are majorly Black are in TERRIBLE shape, and there's no reason for that. Blacks deserve good, paved roads just as much as Whites do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: