Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:39 PM

772 posts, read 999,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU_JXNGent View Post
Lower income neighborhoods should be getting upgrades and more renovating and middle class neighborhoods should be developing and planning for integration of moderate income families to be able to affodably live in those areas. Obviously if y'all stating these are well established urban neighborhoods there should be no problem with this. Why send them to a already struggling neighborhood? Why put easily attainable drugs next door? These people are re-establishing there civility..with that said west Jackson is working on west Jackson and this y'all business so keep it where its at.!
What'd I just say? There are far more criminals living off of Clinton Blvd, then there are living on East Northside Drive! Like I said, I'm not saying that there isn't children in those neighborhoods, I'm just saying that the area is a legit bad area of town. There are children, however there are also criminals, and a lot of those children are possible statistics of growing up in a bad neighborhood, and then going on to think going to jail and being incarcerated are a normal part of life. Then, go over to East Northside Drive where the children there live in wealthy homes, that get a quality education at a good school, that is albeit a private school, it is a good school! These children could still grow up to become criminals, or do something bad in their lifetime, but most of them will grow up to be successful, and go on to fulfill the American dream of having a good family & sustaining a nice living for a family of their own. Again, this is just merely the facts, I don't come on here often to say that there is a bad area of town, but the area of Clinton Blvd & Flag Chapel is LEGIT a bad area of town. Westwick Apartments & the Queens neighborhood are the worst for any child, and I wouldn't recommend the area to anyone of any color! And most of the time don't people tend to revert back to their old ways? So putting them in an area where drug usage is high, doesn't really matter, because they will probably eventually go back to using & abusing drugs, and when they do that it doesn't need to be in a nice area! I'm for all renovation & restoration, and I'm happy about the townhomes being built by the Medical Mall, but I don't see why these people have to be placed in a nice area of town where property values are high, and families play a big role in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:58 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times
I'm not sure where I stand on this. I'm all for recovering addicts being able to assimilate into normal environments. However, I can't say that I'm for that many living in one home. Understandably, there's also a security concern. Sure, not all addicts are criminals, but I wouldn't doubt that a good number of addicts, at least, stole something of value at some point and sold it to a pawn shop or other people to get money for drugs. Also, what if there's a relapse? There's a lot of questions that need(ed) to be asked.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:06 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I'm not sure where I stand on this. I'm all for recovering addicts being able to assimilate into normal environments. However, I can't say that I'm for that many living in one home. Understandably, there's also a security concern. Sure, not all addicts are criminals, but I wouldn't doubt that a good number of addicts, at least, stole something of value at some point and sold it to a pawn shop or other people to get money for drugs. Also, what if there's a relapse? There's a lot of questions that need(ed) to be asked.
And this is the problem - no one has an answer beyond "not in my back yard." NIMBY won't hold up in court, and is why Oxford House doesn't fear lawsuits.

One person in this thread thinks these recovery homes should all be located in low income black neighborhoods (west Jackson). I'm not sure why he didn't recommend any low income white neighborhoods, like perhaps parts of Pearl. And why should the poor have to bear the burden of recovery homes, when many of these recovery residents come from middle class backgrounds?

Old 04-12-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
And this is the problem - no one has an answer beyond "not in my back yard." NIMBY won't hold up in court, and is why Oxford House doesn't fear lawsuits.

One person in this thread thinks these recovery homes should all be located in low income black neighborhoods (west Jackson). I'm not sure why he didn't recommend any low income white neighborhoods, like perhaps parts of Pearl. And why should the poor have to bear the burden of recovery homes, when many of these recovery residents come from middle class backgrounds?
I wasn't limiting the homes to being just in Jackson, but Oxford House seems to want them all in Jackson, so I was just listing other alternatives in areas that AREN'T crime-riddled. But you're right, Pearl would be fine too, seeing as how crime IS on the rise over there, and there are a lot of low income redneck neighborhoods over there. Or hey in my hometown of Ridgeland! Certain areas off of Lake Harbour Drive say like Purple Creek Mobile Home Park, or the neighborhood around Christine Dr & Ralde Cir, that area already has sex offenders living there!

Old 04-12-2015, 01:49 PM

284 posts, read 362,276 times
Jackson needs to do everything it can to stabilize its neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
Quote:
This is pretty much how I feel too. I think everyone deserves a chance to start over, but if I'm honest I would worry if one turned up in my neighborhood.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:57 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Jackson needs to do everything it can to stabilize its neighborhoods.
Real deep insight

Old 05-05-2015, 03:50 PM

Jackson Academy chose not to renew Anna Stephens' contract. She works for JA as a coach.

JA didn't renew contract of Oxford House owner

Old 05-28-2015, 01:32 PM

Cease & desist order issued:

"Cease and Desist" Order against Oxford House | northsidesun.com

Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Saw this earlier on Jackson Jambalaya, and thought it was great news! I posted about it on Facebook, saying that I'm all for people wanting to recover and to move on with their life, but after seeing how residents of Oxford House have caused trouble in a neighborhood in Arkansas before, and how Oxford House expects up to 7 people to live in a house where there's only 2-4 bedrooms is ridiculous! We don't need that in these neighborhoods where there are lots of children. I've said before that Oxford House has a home in West Jackson off of Clinton Boulevard, and I've proposed Oxford House move all of their operations to that side of town, but either way their operations aren't tolerated in places where there are nice neighborhoods, children, & high property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson