Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,611 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I have taken a job at the University Medical Center and plan to move to the Jackson area in the next month or two. Ive been looking at a few apartment complexes (Ashford, Carlton, Reflection Pointe, ect.) in Flowood and am leaning toward moving to this area. Safety is my primary concern. How safe is this part of Flowood?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 02:37 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,807 times
Flowood is a lower-crime area. I think you'll be fine there. The biggest concern you'll have is traffic along Lakeland Drive (MS 25). Reflection Point has a pond in front of it that belongs to the Ergon building, but still a beautiful sight. You'll also be minutes away from shopping.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
From Reflection Pointe, you will also be able to walk/jog/bike (in relative safety) the short distance to the Mother Ship location of the Courthouse Racquet Club. Courthouse is owned, now, by the UMC, and so you'll get a deal on your membership. I'm hearing that the place is suddenly crawling with Docs/Med Students/Residents, and so it will be the ideal place for you to network. Best pool and weightroom in the metro, too.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:14 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
From Reflection Pointe, you will also be able to walk/jog/bike (in relative safety) the short distanceto the Mother Ship location of the Courthouse Racquet Club. Courthouse is owned, now, by the UMC, and so you'll get a deal on your membership. I'm hearing that the place is suddenly crawling with Docs/Med Students/Residents, and so it will be the ideal place for you to network. Best pool and weightroom in the metro, too.
Gloria, I have been going to the Flowood Courthouse. (Now that we have purchased in Madison, we will be going to the Old Canton location soon) I am there 3-5 days a week and my wife is there 2-4 days a week. We are now well established as regulars.

While the Courthouse is a long way from being up to spec for a real big city "all amenities" health club, it is a reasonable analogue if you give points for, well, all things Jackson Metro. While hitting most of the technical points on "we have that" (features, classes, and social interaction) the place is just worn out.

Since UMC took over, nothing has changed yet except the rhetoric of what *might* happen. It will be interesting to see what actually happens. I have not noticed an increase in traffic but living a life of leisure, I go in the afternoon when the crowd is older or more trophy like. I think those groups are somewhat stable with equilibrium in replacement. Especially the trophies as they seem fungible.

What is wonderful is management. Wayne, who runs the Flowood location, is a great choice and I hope he survives any changes. The gentleman that runs the Old Canton location, whose name escapes me, also seems to do a fine job.

The UMC rate is nothing short of amazing. All locations, for a couple, with large lockers is under $70 a month. In a big city full service health club you could not get a three day pass for one person at that price. Among the talk everyone seems to agree that is not going to get any better.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
BTW, to the OP, what is your budget?

There are a lot of reasonable choices in Flowood....but I think there are some better choices. For those who would dispute that at a given budget, how about "alternative" choices.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:54 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,807 times
I'm looking at the most recent edition of Apartment Finder...Reflection Pointe starts out at $700 for a studio and $800+ for a one-bedroomer. Ashford Place starts at $1150/month. The least expensive I found is the Woods at Lakeland, which starts at $670. It's behind the Kroger on Lakeland and Old Fannin.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM

772 posts, read 1,000,205 times
My girlfriend's mother stayed in the Woods of Lakeland for a time, and while they are older units, actually the oldest complex in the area, they are still very nice inside & very safe overall! Plus like GEF said, the ultimate convenience of having a Kroger, Target, Stein Mart, Best Buy, Kohl's, Hobby Lobby, Ross', Lowe's, Belks, TJMaxx, Old Navy, American Eagle Outfitters, & some great restaurants literally in your backyard is wonderful!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 AM

772 posts, read 1,000,205 times
Not to mention, Winner's Circle Park across the street, & Flowood Elementary across the street as well, which is an excellent elementary school.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,611 times
Thanks for the responses. My wife would prefer a place with an updated kitchen and from the pictures we have seen, Ashford and Carlton seem to fit that criteria. With that in mind, I would say our budget is around $1200. As others have mentioned, the area seems very convenient, with numerous shopping and restaurant options nearby. However, my primary concern is safety and if Flowood isnt "safe", we will look elsewhere.

Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:42 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Flowood is about as safe as it gets and those two apartments you mentioned are both very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson