U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 973,339 times

Advertisements

An outdoor amphitheater is coming to Brandon. It will be located off Boyce Thompson Road near I-20. It's expected to seat between 5500-6000 people.

Amphitheater in Brandon's near future

It'd be nice if they would make it a little bit larger to attract bigger-named musical acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:28 PM

1,031 posts, read 958,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
An outdoor amphitheater is coming to Brandon. It will be located off Boyce Thompson Road near I-20. It's expected to seat between 5500-6000 people.

Amphitheater in Brandon's near future

It'd be nice if they would make it a little bit larger to attract bigger-named musical acts.
Just be happy the area is getting one? Big outdoor concerts in the south isn't all that appealing.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:20 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,498,830 times
The whole plan looks really nice. It makes me wonder if Brandon is actively competing with Madison and the Flowood area for residents (and maybe even Florence these days). If so, that sort of competition is beautiful to see.

Just reading the story made me think twice about Brandon as a place to live. It's already quite a nice area, with lovely terrain and an attractive town. But it's quiet and I've never really known Brandon to take much action to improve or sell itself, although these days they have just about everything that most people would want in a suburban community (i.e. nice, fresh Kroger, Home Depot, schools, new subdivisions etc), especially now that Pearl has attracted baseball, Bass Pro, the outlet mall, etc and Flowood's shopping is also just minutes away.

Brandon is much more of a real town compared to Madison and it's arguable that its location (i.e. terrain, woodlands, etc) is prettier than Madison's (except maybe not nicer Hwy 463 which is lovely or the Natchez Trace etc or Lost Rabbit).

I've read that local developers are planning Brandon's version of Highland Colony Parkway, to connect Hwy 471 (which comes down from Lakeland Drive, starting near the Pinelake Church) to I-20 at the second Brandon exit on the east side of town. If memory serves, they were intending to wait another 15 to 20 years to allow the area to continue to grow and presumably attract more rooftops, particularly those with incomes over $100k which is about the average in Ridgeland along Highland Colony Parkway.

I think also the new East Metro Parkway starting at Lakeland where all the shopping is (Old Fannin Rd interchange) will eventually connect to I-20, opening up a whole new area for some nice development. That new road is very pretty as 4-lane divided roads go. They really went all out on pretty streetlamps, brick accents, landscaping, buried power lines, bike lanes, etc. I'm not exactly sure which parts of that road will go through Pearl and Flowood and if part goes through Brandon city limits. In any event, all this is giving me real second thoughts about to what extent Brandon might could potentially emerge ahead of Madison (which to me includes the parts of Ridgeland near the Renaissance and the Yacht Club)... and Flowood/Reservoir ,as the best suburban area to live in the metro.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:39 PM

772 posts, read 745,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Just be happy the area is getting one? Big outdoor concerts in the south isn't all that appealing.
Well two amphitheaters in the south that I can think of, one in Southaven, and one in Pelham, Alabama have attracted some pretty big names.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
I didn't say I wasn't happy for them. But why wouldn't an outdoor concert be that appealing?

Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 PM

575 posts, read 564,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
I didn't say I wasn't happy for them. But why wouldn't an outdoor concert be that appealing?
Especially since a lot of musical acts like outdoor venues during the summer and Snowden Grove does in fact attract a lot of current musically acts.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:19 PM

I was looking at some of the acts coming to Snowden Grove: Foreigner and Night Ranger this Friday, Steve Miller Band, Dave Matthews Band, Lady Antebellum and Kenny Chesney. A few washed-up acts, along with some relevant ones. Still, any of them could sell out an amphitheater in Brandon.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:40 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,498,830 times
So could Brandon be the new Madison? When you think about it, why not? It's got everything Madison has but in a way is in a better location, with no barriers to growth in almost any direction except west, and it has plenty of higher income households. The only thing missing is a few more higher-income subdivisions like in Ridgeland and Madison, like Bridgewater, Reunion, Annandale, Ingleside, Livingston, Deerhaven, Lake Caroline, Wrights Mill, Roses Bluff, Lost Rabbit, etc...i.e. bringing in those households with incomes over $100k, in order to attract the more upscale shops and restaurants......

...After that, when you think about it Brandon is pretty (plenty of trees and hills); has a real downtown area with potential to be charming; good schools; lots of room to grow, interstates, airport, and a solid of base of middle and upper middle class households. Imagine if somebody decided to build a big university there - how different would it be at that point from the suburbs of Raleigh-Durham etc. Hmmm....well, fun to think about. I would love it if Brandon kicked it into high gear and started competing with Madison and Ridgeland head-on. How fun will that be...

Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 AM

1,031 posts, read 958,410 times
Competition only makes things better.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:30 PM

772 posts, read 745,839 times
Not to mention that a Performance Arts Center is planned for Mary's downtown vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson