U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM

1,114 posts, read 854,221 times

Advertisements

Here's a list you don't wanna be on. According the the Gallup poll, the Jackson area ranks #8 (tied with Clarksville, TN) with 33.8% of residents considered obese. The Huntington, WV-Ashland, KY metro is #1 with 39.5% obese. Click here for the list:

Jackson makes list of nation’s fattest cities | Local News - Home

I guess I can't be surprised that we're high on the list.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 PM

456 posts, read 456,097 times
People here don't take their health seriously here.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,329,507 times
I've seen the data and for whatever reason, the rates of obesity are particularly high among African-American females (nationally). I believe something like 70 to 75% are considered either overweight or obese and among those I think those in the obese category is close to 60%. The data on males (black and white) are much lower and also white females if memory serves are the thinnest of the four categories. I could be wrong on that; if needed I could google and find where I saw those data.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM

105 posts, read 62,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
I could be wrong on that; if needed I could google and find where I saw those data.

Special Report: Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Obesity - Black Communities

Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 PM

487 posts, read 473,282 times
Been my experience that many black females don't care that they are overweight. I also think there is a segment of black men that prefer bigger women. For these reasons, I don't think there is that much stigma in the black community about bring overweight.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:47 PM

Yes, that's exactly the website I had seen before. Something occurred to me that is politically incorrect to ask - but I know this forum is supposed to encourage candid discussion, as long as it remains kind-hearted and factual. I've read that among African-American women, about 75% have children while not married. And coincidentally about 80% are obese or nearly obese according to that report listed above.

It occurred to me the other day when thinking about this - I wonder if there is a connection between those two issues. Is it possible that African-American women who are obese are unable to find a husband... and therefore they have children without a husband? Or conversely, could it be the other way around... that having children out of wedlock leads to obesity (i.e. perhaps using food to alleviate the stress of trying to raise a child alone etc, maybe?). Of course, there may be no connection whatsoever.

Maybe someone has statistics on the obesity rates among the 25% of African-American women who are married when they have their children. I would suspect their obesity rates are extremely low, but who knows...

I think for Caucasian women about 32% are obese and last time I heard, the rate of Caucasian children born out of wedlock these days is about 30%. Again, the numbers on obesity and out of wedlock births are virtually identical, which suggests a connection. Maybe the connection is that people who can't control their urges to eat also cannot control their sexual urges? I hesitate to say that loud, because it sounds very judgmental and that's not really my intent...more I"m just curious...although the data on dysfunction among children without fathers, especially boys, is pretty horrific. So it's probably a worthy topic in terms thinking about how to help avoiding having so many troubled young men. In any event, maybe Grandview Gloria can join us with some of her clever insight and trademark humor!!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 PM

2,947 posts, read 3,540,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Yes, that's exactly the website I had seen before. Something occurred to me that is politically incorrect to ask - but I know this forum is supposed to encourage candid discussion, as long as it remains kind-hearted and factual. I've read that among African-American women, about 75% have children while not married. And coincidentally about 80% are obese or nearly obese according to that report listed above.

It occurred to me the other day when thinking about this - I wonder if there is a connection between those two issues. Is it possible that African-American women who are obese are unable to find a husband... and therefore they have children without a husband? Or conversely, could it be the other way around... that having children out of wedlock leads to obesity (i.e. perhaps using food to alleviate the stress of trying to raise a child alone etc, maybe?). Of course, there may be no connection whatsoever.

Maybe someone has statistics on the obesity rates among the 25% of African-American women who are married when they have their children. I would suspect their obesity rates are extremely low, but who knows...

I think for Caucasian women about 32% are obese and last time I heard, the rate of Caucasian children born out of wedlock these days is about 30%. Again, the numbers on obesity and out of wedlock births are virtually identical, which suggests a connection. Maybe the connection is that people who can't control their urges to eat also cannot control their sexual urges? I hesitate to say that loud, because it sounds very judgmental and that's not really my intent...more I"m just curious...although the data on dysfunction among children without fathers, especially boys, is pretty horrific. So it's probably a worthy topic in terms thinking about how to help avoiding having so many troubled young men. In any event, maybe Grandview Gloria can join us with some of her clever insight and trademark humor!!
We are all trained, by Movies and TV and preachers, to think in terms of SINGLE-CAUSE THEORIES. If there's a single cause for something, then it makes for a better storyline, or a more plausible 'miraculous transformation' of an individual.

But consider that maybe these women are fat because they're single, and single because they're fat, AND BOTH these causes, as well as both these effects, have, additionally, an underlying root cause - or several root causes. Life is infinitely more complicated than are books and movies and sermons.

As for the 'Caucasian' rates, I would first consider whether the world 'Caucasian' is used as a default for 'white', or something else. Crime stats, in some agencies, refer to non-white Hispanics as "white", when they're Perps - but assign them minority labels when they're Victims. This allows for the painting of a skewed picture, to support a certain agenda. And so, I'm wondering exactly who is being thrown into the "White (or Caucasian)" category, where Obesity is concerned. Was this deliberately done, in order to make whites look bad? Wouldn't be the first time.

In any event, the whites of Mississippi (and of America) are no longer, genetically, in general, the same as the nation's Founding Stock. Remember that Mississippi has suffered from the Brain Drain. It's been ongoing since the 1860s, if not before. The Best & Brightest have been moving away. And consider how many "white" groups were subsequently imported to the South, as agricultural labor - chosen deliberately because of a perceived (and exploitable) stupidity. What would one expect from a people imported because they had been considered stupid enough to be ideal serfs on plantations? Perception and reality generally diverge. But still: what would one expect?

IQ influences diet. It influences what (and whether) foods are grown as adjuncts to home-making. I think of a brilliant Latvian banker in the 1930s, whose showplace home was surrounded by an orchard. Fresh fruit was something he wisely planned into the homescape, when he could have been thinking along more showy lines. Not at all expensive to implement, but his culture valued the availability of health-giving foods. (That family was later massacred by those less provident than themselves.)

Too, I'm reminded of recent archaeological discoveries, revealing the ancient genocide of a very advanced Native American tribe with excellent agricultural skills. They were, apparently, killed by a different tribe, who resented their victims' skilled growing and storing of food. From what I can see, this is part of trend, over millennia, for the more able to be pressured out of existence by the less able. It does not bode well for the future of Mankind.

And I think of a brilliant, beautiful, and kind Sicilian architect in Mississippi, whose Grandfather had brought seeds from the family's lemon trees near Palermo. One of the trees flourished, miraculously, in a warm corner, adjacent the family home, somewhere in Southwest Jackson - until many decades later, when the home's new owners chopped down that big, fine, productive lemon tree, and fenced the area for their Pit Bulls. The new owners, of course, had no concept of "Lemon Tree". They had no idea what a miracle that tree was, or how long it had taken for it to grow that big. Not that they would or could have cared. And they certainly had no idea what lemons can do for people. They did not value the fragrant blossoms, any more than they could conceive of 'phytonutrients'. All this, they threw away, because they neither knew, nor cared to know: Lemon/Limes

If you delve into the family lore of the higher classes of Mississippians (regardless of race), what continually emerges from accounts and photos of daily life is a passion for growing things. A passion for growing new and varied foodstuffs seems to have been what "separated the wheat from the chaff", during the century following the Civil War, when few people had anything but what they could grow (or troubled themselves to grow). Accounts from descendants describe the family homes as being surrounded by dense tapestries of peaches, pears, roses, gardenias, pomegranates, figs, hollyhocks, asparagus, chickens... all tended by the occupants of the houses. Imagining this, it is difficult to see where the individual ends, and the garden begins. Each has a hand in creating the other. We now know that "Junk DNA" is not such junk, after all. It can be awakened by environmental forces. Good nutrition can change one's descendants, genetically. Bad nutrition can, too. These enthusiastic growers of food and flowers - Black, White, Chinese, or Native American - are the families whose descendants are Judges, Industrialists, Surgeons, Professional Beauties, and Professors.

But then, there are the stories are of "others" moving in from other regions, and cutting everything down - bare dirt where the asparagus and the roses used to be. The "others" have been breeding, while the provident garden-tenders have been moving away.

Gardening requires a certain intelligence, and, perhaps, other heritable traits. And the intelligent have been leaving. Too, the more intelligent have one birthrate, while the least intelligent have another. This is as true for whites as it is for other groups. Look into a silver minivan full of white kids in the Jackson Metro 'burbs, and you won't see the facial types in the old pictures. I would tend to agree with you, BrickPatio, that whites in Mississippi are not what they used to be. I think that trends, among whites, in obesity and unwed motherhood, may be partly due to the fact that their ancestry is not the same as that of the earnest, bony, ever-so-particular-and-precise Norse Protestants. Those people disowned children who strayed too far from what was considered decent. I don't know if they were particularly happy: but that population created immense wealth (which the rest of us enjoy), and they sure did behave themselves. Too, very few of them seem to have been fat.

Wise cooking and wise shopping have replaced inspired garden-tending, in modern life. But I believe that the wise gardeners' progeny are the wise cooks and the wise shoppers.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 05-14-2015 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 PM

1,894 posts, read 1,167,708 times
Usually, people who are heavy in weight are real good cooks. I see that as a plus.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 PM

Out of all that, my favorite is the reference to the Latvian banker. Lord only knows where that came from, ha!

Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 PM

6,546 posts, read 6,761,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Usually, people who are heavy in weight are real good cooks. I see that as a plus.
They may be overweight, but I doubt that they are obese.

My wife has a body type (wide-hipped) that tends to excess weight. Both of our grown daughters inherited that body type. My wife and one of our daughters fight this tendency, and look really great. The other daughter has a more laid-back attitude toward it. My wife is an excellent cook, and is a real 'green thumb' gardener. She taught both our girls how to cook, and both of them can put on a feast to make your mouth drool. I know mine does! I am sometimes 15-20 lbs over my ideal weight (6'-2". age 67). I don't worry much about this, as it comes off easily. And like the ladies in the family, I enjoy cooking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
View detailed profiles of: