U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM

420 posts, read 1,118,639 times

Advertisements

How is Canton Mississippi? My husband has a possible job offer. How is the area? Is it family orientated? I look forward to hearing all of your feedback. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 27,326 times
I lived in Canton for seven years. Hated every moment.

I strongly suggest taking a visit to Canton to get a feel of the area. The west and northeast areas of town are just depressing. The historical district, on East Fulton, Peace, and Center streets and the southeast side of town are generally better.

The public schools are 98% black and one private school, Canton Academy, is almost entirely white. There was actually a news story about a black student graduating from Canton Academy in 2001, I think. If you have children, I strongly suggest sending them to the public schools in Madison. I don't think there is a policy about living in the district zone to enroll your children, but someone who knows will have to verify that.

Family-oriented? Local churches usually have events for the children, but otherwise it's a common sight on the crappy areas of town to see kids, usually wearing shirts of the same color (hint, hint) on a corner or walking around. This is an extremely common sight in the "Old Projects" or "New Projects" on the west side of town.

I have no idea what the white kids in Canton do for fun, since I never lived in that area of town. But it's safe to assume that the churches their parents go to have events as well.

Well, that's one opinion of Canton. If anyone with a positive or a white view of this town has anything to contribute, go ahead because I'm entirely lacking in that aspect.

Oh yes, I forgot: THE EVENTS! There's a Flea Market on the second Thursday of May and October. Basically, people come from all over and sell random things. If there's something you want, most likely someone's selling it. That's one thing I do like about Canton.

Also, there are numerous parades around the town square. Homecoming, Christmas, whatever. There's usually a parade held for it.

Last edited by Anonymous of Mississippi; 01-24-2008 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 157,388 times
While things were somewhat grim in the past, Nissan's huge plant has brought in lots of people and helped raise the standard of living in the area. My cousin and her husband recently moved to Canton from their Jackson home which was in a very upscale neighborhood. There's a lot to be said for living NEAR a large city such as Jackson, but IN a town where you can know people. There's a PCUSA church in search process as we "speak." If so, I can give additional info about the Presbytery. If not, welcome to you if you decide to accept. Canton is making a real effort to improve the quality of life for folks who live there.
Christmas on the Square is a gigantic festival of lights that draws people from a wide area to see the thousands of white lights and various Christmas/seasonal decorations, singing, music, carriage rides, etc.
I live in Madison, about 8 or so miles south. Lots of big box stores are locating in Madison, along with some fine restaurants, and just a little further south, Ridgeland has a new P. F. Chang, Biaggi, and many new shops opening this Spring. Lots happening in the area!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 27,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merigold307 View Post
There's a lot to be said for living NEAR a large city such as Jackson, but IN a town where you can know people.
This is probably the biggest factor in choosing Canton. All the crap aside, Canton still has that small town flavor despite being a suburb of Jackson.

Because Canton is in Madison County, things are almost guaranteed to get better than they were. However, I can almost guarantee that the worst of the worst aren't going anywhere unless they get pushed out (which isn't going to happen...it just isn't.) There are little subdivisions popping up, so local public schools aside, the Canton area is a place one can find a safe environment in. It's all about knowing which areas to avoid.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:55 PM

442 posts, read 1,939,497 times
Be sure you buy your bullet proof vests before going to Canton. It's a scary, scary, place. All the best of luck to you. You're gonna need it if you live in Canton.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 PM

36 posts, read 157,388 times
Gee, there must be lots of crime in Canton that never makes the news. Hmmm. I'll have to pay more attention.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 37,629 times
Smile Canton

Canton is an older town. It was very rural until the Nissan Plant came along. The plant has provided a bunch of jobs, but has not seemed to help the town "modernize." Public schools in the Jackson metro area, are not the greatest in the world. If you have kids, your first priority is to find schools that have a Level 5 accreditdation. That is the highest level of performance that Mississippi assigns its schools, based on state test scores. There are no Level 5 schools in Canton.

To the south of Canton, is Madison. Madison Central High School is Level 5. It is a great school, it is racially mixed. Great sports progams and very involved parents. Kids there will have both black and white friends. It is a short trip to Canton (8 miles).

Canton has a great downtown square. At Christmas they "light the square" and it's pretty cool. They also have some antebellum homes worth seeing. They also have a gigantic flee market that packs the town for one Thursday and you cannot drive through town on that day.

You can get a lot of house for your money in Canton, but by the time you finance private school, its to your advantate to look at Madison. I live in Rankin county. Good schools. Rankin is not as pricey as Madison. More regular folks live here, lots of professionals (doctors etc.) live in Madison.

Good Luck

Old 02-06-2008, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 21,232 times
Post OMG...Did you ever live in Canton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Be sure you buy your bullet proof vests before going to Canton. It's a scary, scary, place. All the best of luck to you. You're gonna need it if you live in Canton.
Oh, my god!! Are you from Canton? No because if you were you will know that THAT is a lie!

Majority of the people that do get murdered here are isolated incidents...If you are not in the rowdy crowds doing wrong then wrong will NOT come your way.

The police are something serious...If a cop stops you, two more of them will follow suit. I was born and raised here and segregation is something serious too! A school for the whites and a couple for the blacks. Jackson is a scary, scary place. It's good to know what you are talking about....

Edit: Anonymous of Mississippi, you do have to live in that district for your children to attend Madison Central or schools in that area...

LaTasha

Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 17,093 times
Default Canton

*CANTON IS A SMALL TOWN WITH A LOT OF RURAL AREAS.
*1 -hospital
1-public high school
1-junior high
2-elementaries
3-grocery stores

shopping is very limited in the city, and the square isn't really a place to shop unless your looking for antiques.

Flea Market- is a wonderful tourist attraction for the city

Canton is what you make of it, like any other small town. It's not the best, and it's definitely not the worst.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 PM

10 posts, read 34,803 times
I would expect a person to speak about Canton in this manner who was not born and raised in Canton Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or