Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 AM

30 posts, read 71,783 times

Advertisements

In a couple of weeks, my family and I will be traveling from Arkansas to Orange Beach, Alabama. We want to stop in Jackson and stay the night because we have children who will not make it the entire 10 hr drive. What areas would you recommend travelers stay in and stay away from while visiting Jackson?

Right now, we're looking at hotels in Ridgeland. Would this be recommended? Anywhere else? Any suggestions on places to go, food to eat, etc. while visiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:37 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,350,107 times
List the hotels and we can tell you.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:45 AM

30 posts, read 71,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
List the hotels and we can tell you.
Embassy

TownePlace

Hyatt Place

Homewood

Any answers on the other questions?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz34 View Post
Embassy

TownePlace

Hyatt Place

Homewood

Any answers on the other questions?
All of those are fine. I wouldn't stay at Homewood because it's in County Line rd and that's a very congested rd.

For food I would recommend Soulshine Pizza at 1111 Highland Colony Parkway (near most of the hotels you listed). Or **** of the Walk (http://www.cockofthewalkrestaurant.com) a seafood place in the Reservoir if you want good food and a great view.

I'll let someone else tackle the kids aspect.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:54 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:

I'll let someone else tackle the kids aspect.
I'll try.

My only thought is why can't the kids handle a 10 hour drive? No way I would go through the hassle of staying at a hotel to break up a 10 hour drive. I sometimes drive to philly from Jackson, which is 20-something hours. We do that in two days, not four!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I'll try.

My only thought is why can't the kids handle a 10 hour drive? No way I would go through the hassle of staying at a hotel to break up a 10 hour drive. I sometimes drive to philly from Jackson, which is 20-something hours. We do that in two days, not four!
What concern is it to you? They asked about hotels, food and things to do. Not to justify their reason for stopping.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:21 PM

48 posts, read 74,885 times
We just stayed at the TownePlace in Ridgeland (Southlake Ave location) a few months ago and would definitely recommend it. It was very quiet, the workers were super friendly and it seemed very safe.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 7,787 times
Any of the hotels in North Jackson, Ridgeland off of I-55 would be fine with plenty of places to eat at the Renaissance , or nearby. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at I-55 and Rt. 51 when we where house shopping for a few nights and never had any problems.
Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place

Plenty of restaurants right at Renaissance, or very close by.

PF Chang's, 5 Guys, Ruth Chris's, Soulshine Pizza, Majestic Burger, Newk's, etc..

Old 07-06-2015, 06:47 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
What concern is it to you? They asked about hotels, food and things to do. Not to justify their reason for stopping.
Because if their kids are too tired to handle the 10-hour drive, then it's unlikely they will want to check into a hotel, unpack, and then drive again to a restaurant like c-ock of the walk. Better just get room service.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 PM

772 posts, read 1,000,017 times
Places to stay away from would definitely be South Jackson (South of I-20 West & Highway 80 West to Byram city limits) & West Jackson (West of CN Railroad downtown to Clinton city limits). Good places for hotels would be Downtown (Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn, Old Capitol Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Best Western, etc.), North Jackson along I-55 North (La Quinta, the newer one on Beasley Road off of I-55 North, Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn by Marriott, Baymont Suites, Hampton Inn, etc.) The only hotels along that corridor I'd say to stay away from would be Motel 6, Super 8, the older La Quinta on the east side of I-55 North at the Briarwood Drive exit, & Select 10 Motel. These are older hotels & some of them have had problems, I know the Super 8 on I-55 North houses sex offenders, & the like. Cheap roach motels that aren't worth putting your safety at risk for.

North of Jackson, hotels in Ridgeland & Madison are all GREAT, west of Jackson, hotels in Clinton would be fine too, east of Jackson such as Brandon & Flowood have also great hotel choices as well!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson