Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:51 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times

Advertisements

Good news for Jackson, as a $50 million solar panel facility will locate in Jackson on Lawson St. About 250 jobs will be created over the next five years.

Solar panel factory coming to Jackson | Local News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:31 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,801 times
I have not looked into this company, but solar companies are not very stable. I am sure this one, like most of the rest, is relying on some form of government subsidies to actually turn a profit. Solar technology is simply not profitable in most applications.

I certainly wish them the best and in the short term, if it happens, it will be good for Jackson. The long term, history says otherwise.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 PM

799 posts, read 1,065,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
I have not looked into this company, but solar companies are not very stable. I am sure this one, like most of the rest, is relying on some form of government subsidies to actually turn a profit. Solar technology is simply not profitable in most applications.

I certainly wish them the best and in the short term, if it happens, it will be good for Jackson. The long term, history says otherwise.
Not here in the south but out west there do very well. Seraphim is a China based company.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
Not here in the south but out west there do very well. Seraphim is a China based company.
Like was said earlier most solar companies are sucking on the governments teet and usually go belly up within 2 years and taking any city or state financial assistance with them.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:21 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 9 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
+10^10 EXCELLENT news!

Even if it is a China-based company -- Austin got its start during the 70s by serving as a customer service and support location for computer technology firms (no need to ask their tech-industry pecking order rank by the 90s)

Even if they are "sucking on the government's teat" -- most corporations and banks effectively do the same (through tax breaks paid for by higher taxes on the middle and even upper middle class).

Also, it's a way to combat global warming* -- or, if you prefer, achieve energy independence for America ("harvesting" sunlight hitting America seems more truly independent than importing Middle Eastern oil).

If you're looking one full century down the road (yes, as in 2115) - what about Mars or Moon colonies, or asteroid mining? No O2 in those areas, and hence hydrocarbons are useless, so humans or robots mining those places need non-fossil-fuel power (it's said that one medium sized asteroid has more gold, platinum, iron, etc. than has been mined on earth in the entire human history of our planet). GREAT example of how advances in one field spin off into success in others. Computers of the 1940s are the distant ultimate enabler of your favorite YouTube videos...not to mention city-data itself.

Excuse the tangent, but I brought this up to provoke the question in your minds "How could Mississippi get its fair share of the solar energy pie?"

Old 07-11-2015, 06:00 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
+10^10 EXCELLENT news!

Even if it is a China-based company -- Austin got its start during the 70s by serving as a customer service and support location for computer technology firms (no need to ask their tech-industry pecking order rank by the 90s)

Even if they are "sucking on the government's teat" -- most corporations and banks effectively do the same (through tax breaks paid for by higher taxes on the middle and even upper middle class).

Also, it's a way to combat global warming* -- or, if you prefer, achieve energy independence for America ("harvesting" sunlight hitting America seems more truly independent than importing Middle Eastern oil).

If you're looking one full century down the road (yes, as in 2115) - what about Mars or Moon colonies, or asteroid mining? No O2 in those areas, and hence hydrocarbons are useless, so humans or robots mining those places need non-fossil-fuel power (it's said that one medium sized asteroid has more gold, platinum, iron, etc. than has been mined on earth in the entire human history of our planet). GREAT example of how advances in one field spin off into success in others. Computers of the 1940s are the distant ultimate enabler of your favorite YouTube videos...not to mention city-data itself.

Excuse the tangent, but I brought this up to provoke the question in your minds "How could Mississippi get its fair share of the solar energy pie?"
I see you conveniently ignored all the solar companies who received government grant money and went belly up.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:19 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times
Only time will tell how this facility will turn out. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the fact that up to 250 jobs over the next five years are coming to Jackson and help raise our economy.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
+10^10 EXCELLENT news!

As was pointed out, if, like so many do, if it goes out of business.....

Second, We must continue to develop alternative energy, I am not arguing that, but as it stands right now, solar technology is a net negative, in most cases, to more efficient methods of power productions. You dont just "poof" a solar panel into existence. You have to make it and that takes energy. Most people also dont really understand how little power solar is actually capable of producing. For example, a single gallon of gas has the energy equivalent to keep an Iphone running for a decade or more. It would take more than a gallon of gas' energy to produce a solar panel that could do the same.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Only time will tell how this facility will turn out. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the fact that up to 250 jobs over the next five years are coming to Jackson and help raise our economy.
While I will go as far as "it is a step in the right direction," as it stands right now, it is vaporware for an industry that is wilting.

While I wouldnt place a bet, it is unlikely to happen and if it does I doubt they will have 250 long term employees.

I hope it does happen and works out well.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 9 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
I see you conveniently ignored all the solar companies who received government grant money and went belly up.
And "next-generation" fighter jets with serious design flaws is supposed to be a better use of our tax dollars when we already spend more $ on the military than the next 25 largest national military budgets combined? Or it's OK to conveniently ignore the lack of reforms among the large financial institutions that our tax dollars bailed out?

Or, isn't it easier to simply accept the inevitable short term losses in return for a huge long-term gain. We can disagree as whether companies or laboratory research should get the funding, or the right balance thereof. The free market only engages in or funds research that promises a quick return on money. We'd have never launched rockets (and hence had no telecommunication or weather sattelites, to name just two) were it not for government investments.

Or, more down to earth, rural electrification - a government funded program. The free market would have never had incentive to invest in it because of the huge number of miles of wires, electric poles, and other infrastructure for a relatively few number of people. In short, too many $ invested for too few people's benefit.

Same with solar power. Great initial outlay for a very promising technology that isn't yet highly profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson