U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:28 AM

974 posts, read 971,010 times

Advertisements

Not living in Jackson, I have not been in a while. Could someone inform me of which restaurant closed. (I had a couple of favorites)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:21 AM

1,098 posts, read 2,745,075 times
Having JSU and Tulane compete in Madison is not fair, free-market competition and that's why it's an unfair threat to Tulane.

The reason is that the legislature gives hundreds of millions of dollars in free money to JSU but they do not give free money to Tulane. This allows JSU to charge lower prices, or it could even allow JSU to charge the same price as Tulane but take a financial loss and still remain in the market (with losses made up for financially by the free money given to JSU by the legislature).

Imagine if two grocery stores (say Junior Food Mart and Kroger) were competing in Madison...and one (Junior Food Mart) received hundreds of millions of dollars in free money from the legislature while the other (Kroger) got nothing from the legislature.

This would enable the government-subsidized grocery store (Junior Food Mart) to move into Madison and take a loss financially and still do just fine (because of all the free money coming in from the government). Meanwhile, Kroger, having lost half its customers to Junior Food Mart, but receiving no free money from the legislature as the Junior Food Mart does, starts going under financially in the Madison location.

And guess what happens in that scenario. Kroger, losing money, leaves Madison. This would leave Madison residents stuck only with the Junior Food Mart (still receiving their free money from the legislature).

This is exactly the scenario that Mary was trying to avoid. State-subsidized JSU survives in a two-school market because of their free money from the legislature, while superior Tulane (with no free money from the legislature) can't get enough students and is forced to leave Madison.

I can tell you that I have worked in private business...and if you have two companies competing and one of them receives free money from the government...that leaves the other company unable to compete since they don't get free money from the government. And the result is the market is left only with the inferior company and its inferior products, as they are the ones getting the free money from the government that subsidizes their inferiority.

Having said all that, it very well could be that the Madison market is big enough to support a high-quality, higher-cost school like Tulane and a lower-quality, lower-cost school like JSU. Maybe indeed there are plenty of people attending night-school classes who are willing to pay significantly more for a school like Tulane. But presumably Mayor Mary didn't want to find out the hard way that for night-school education there just wasn't a market for higher-priced classes.

Since Tulane is still there, presumably there Are people who will pay more for night-school classes at a place like Tulane, in which case it's going to be okay to allow a school like JSU, receiving extra, free money from the legislature, to move into the Madison market. Let's hope so.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,471,224 times
So, ole Miss and msu should close down, because they get state subsidies also? Are you actually arguing that we shouldn't have state schools in this country? Or that state schools shouldn't be allowed to expand into areas of need if a private school is also in that same area?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 PM

766 posts, read 766,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Not living in Jackson, I have not been in a while. Could someone inform me of which restaurant closed. (I had a couple of favorites)
The Mint.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:47 PM

974 posts, read 971,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyreynolds1977 View Post
The Mint.
Thank you. We spent some fun times in that place. Probably better bar than food, but was good and the atmosphere was great.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:08 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,531,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
I believe she was pushing for Tulane, with an average ACT score of around 32, over JSU with an average around 18. I would assume the concern was that bringing in JSU might take away students causing Madison ultimately to lose Tulane. And how unfair, considering JSU receives extra subsidies from the taxpayers.

Government really shouldn't be interfering in private business, because this is what you get - a school receiving taxpayer subsidies with an ACT almost 50% of the other ends up taking over the market.

I think Jackson State should raise its admission standards and its academic standards, but also run a community college on its campus so that all the students are still served and no one is out of a job. This could go a long way towards improving JSU's academic reputation and would be so much better for JSU's highest-performing students who would have the opportunity to receive a much more rigorous education across the board (i.e. like Tulane students receive).
That all was happening, while we were reorganizing and moving things to Portland, so I was distracted, and don't remember the details. But wasn't Tulane a done deal, well in advance to Jackson State's announcement that it was "expanding"?

In any event, Tulane is considered a "Near-Ivy" school (the main campus, at least), while Jackson State (the main campus, at least), is considered to be exactly what it is: a typical state-supported HBCU: Jackson State University - Forbes .

Tulane has been considered, by Southerners, as a "really hard" school, and by New Yorkers, as a "pretty easy" school. If you couldn't get into an Ivy, going to Tulane meant you were still elite, and would be making AT LEAST as much money, in your career, as would be someone who'd gone to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton.

Everything about Tulane oozes money. Maybe its students aren't in the first tier of "go-getters and grade-grubbers", but they're smart ENOUGH, and more than rich-enough. Mississippi Delta aristocrats, Louisiana Brahmins, Park Avenue Princesses, kids from the best families on Long Island's Gold Coast: those were the people you'll actually get to know, at Tulane (the one on Saint Charles Avenue, anyway). It's considered a 'Jewish School', and a 'Rich School'. As late as the Seventies, 'Newcomb Girls' (Newcomb was a women's college within Tulane) had daily maids, straightening-up their dorm rooms. It's a mysterious university, on the richest boulevard, in a mysterious city. The campus is enveloped in the shade of enormous live oaks, and surrounded by Belle Époque mansions, where enormous chandeliers still hang over dining tables still used for fancy dinner parties, as if the Gilded Age had never ended. While New Orleans cops were busy blasting and looting the safe deposit boxes in banks, and soldiers were going door-to-door, disarming New Orleans residents, so they'd be easier to rob, Audubon Place, home to Tulane's President, and a host of Tulane alums (16 Audubon Place - Sold - LuxuryRealEstate.com™), arranged for Israeli mercenaries to be helicoptered-in (Mercenaries guard homes of the rich in New Orleans | World news | The Guardian). One mansion was the command post. The neighborhood was the ONLY place (aside from the Museum of Art, which was spared, only because soldiers were bivouaced there), that saw no looting. THAT perimeter, alone in New Orleans, was not breached. THAT is the sort of power you'll find at Tulane, and among its alums.

Tulane has traditionally served (and been endowed by) mysterious, swarthy, brilliant people, who, until recently, were unwelcome in 'good' country clubs and Ivy League universities. While Harvard and Yale distract and disable their students, with nebbishy mishegoss about "social responsibility", Tulane has been about making money. Tulane grads are far less infected with Ivy League Group-think, and are much more about shrewd strategies for, eventually, owning/controlling everything around them. They don't give a damn about their status within groups. "As long as I control it, and the gains accrue to ME, I don't care whose name is on it. I'll just sit here in the shadows, and let the pretty people do the talking. I can buy them, and I can sell them." (Babette: with two Tulane degrees - who lives behind high hedges, in Madison)

So, it really was a huge coup, for Madison to land Tulane. The school's traditional 'aura' totally fits the profile of the Classic Madison Resident. People moved to Madison, from the rest of Mississippi, because they were too smart, too refined, too worldly, too erudite, and too individualistic, to fit in among the brash, herd-thinking, Carpetbagger-descended, Bible-thumping, baton-twirling, pocket-picking, 'rich Rednecks' in Jackson. Madison's old culture, exemplified by the story of Annandale (Welcome Home - The History of Reunion Luxury Development in Madison MS) particularly the mansion, one of the most sophisticated in the whole South (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annandale_Plantation), meshed well, with the stories of the enlightened families elsewhere in the state (Mont Helena) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood_LeFlore) (ISJL - Mississippi Meridian Encyclopedia - Institute of Southern Jewish Life) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwo...Mississippi%29) (Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How It Changed America - John M. Barry).

Those from Mississippi families who have traditionally had a presence at Tulane, now tend to live in Madison. The school is a perfect fit (to whatever degree it resembles the school in New Orleans) for the middle and upper strata of Madisonians. And the school was not brought to Madison, without considerable exertions from city leaders and private individuals. Bringing Tulane to Madison was a huge victory. Per Babette: "At first, they sent some dumb, dumpy, no-class punt in from the coast, to run the place. She had utter contempt for the locals, and made it clear she thought she was in some sort of "backwater" (previously, she'd run branches in a yatty suburb of New Orleans - in a MALL, of all places, and in someplace even worse, on the Coast - so, she should have been IMPRESSED by Madison: but, apparently, she was too dumb, and too ignorant, to look around her, and interpret what she was seeing. She doesn't know a Lambo when she sees one? She can't spot a Gelandewagen? Her butt doesn't know a silk-upholstered, down-filled sofa when it's plopped-down on one? She heard Southern Accents, and she thought "stupid". She thought she was bringing "culture and literacy" to the stupid Mississippians.). Her rudeness got her sent packing - maybe even before the Madison Campus opened. Her replacement is better, although the new one back-stabbed Mary: something about a "Save the Peacocks" float in a parade. Nobody is amused. It was supposed to be funny, maybe. But we're not laughing. None, among those of us who are check-writing Tulane alums, are laughing." Anyway, the bankable aura of Tulane, and the very real possibility of transferring credits to the Saint Charles Avenue Campus, for ultra-desirable real Tulane degrees, definitely add to the totality of Madison.

Having Tulane in Madison means another connection to the larger world. It is another thing keeping Madison from being isolated and provincial. The connections that Mayor Mary built with Sweden eventually led to the Nissan Plant's being built in Madison County (She'd landed a Volvo plant, networking via Madison's Sister City relationship with Solleftea, which led to an award from the King of Sweden, which led to the establishment of Madison's Swedish Chamber of Commerce, and her friendship with the heads of Volvo.... except that Ford/Nissan ate Volvo in a hostile takeover - but retained the location-scouting information for the site which eventually became the Nissan plant - at that moment, the world's largest - and all because of Mayor Mary). It's a huge thing, to be able to live in a small place like Madison, yet still be in a place connected with the larger world. It's the difference between being in The Middle of Nowhere, and being in Someplace Special.

Jackson State, on the other hand, extended a tentacle into Madison, without invitation, and well after Tulane had become a fait accompli. Mary would have had no power to stop it, even if she had tried (and, considering how many among her inner circle of friends and confidents surely ARE Jackson State grads, she could hardly be "anti-Jackson-State"). The full weight of state government is behind Jackson State. She did express dismay that it might compete with newly-arrived Tulane. She felt an obligation to protect the school, since her people had brought it to Madison. But I believe her concerns were unfounded. Jackson State does not compete with Tulane, any more than a school of Cosmetology, or a truck-driving academy, competes with Tulane.

Personally, I see Jackson State's presence in Madison, as a slap-in-the-face, to its traditional demographic. If I were them, I'd be saying, to Jackson State's governing body: "So what are WE: chopped liver? We're not good enough for you, anymore?"

Jackson State is a fine school. But, traditionally, it has not served the same segment of society that has been served by Tulane. They are at opposite ends of the continuum. Madison's Tulane Campus competes no more with Jackson State's, than Tulane's Uptown Campus competes with Delgado or UNO. They address market segments which do not overlap. I should know. I started at a university for poor kids who aren't particularly smart. Our entire inner-circle of friends started there. It was very much like Jackson State: training typical Mississippians - packaging information in ways that made knowledge and competency easy and available. Then, we went off to prestigious universities for rich kids who are smart. The shock nearly killed us. Such a difference! Had we not haunted the library at our first school - reaching out into the larger world - had we not formed study groups, and brought prominent alums into our independent study - we would have been hopelessly, irretrievably, LOST.

Critical Thinking is beyond the grasp of most Mississippians. It is not (not really) taught at places like Jackson State, or my first university. Go to Millsaps, or to Tulane, and you will find knowledge packaged in entirely different ways, from the way that knowldege is made available at an average Southern college. Each strategy is valuable in its own way. Heaven knows, I NEEDED a 'poor kids' university', at first, to bridge the gap between my backwoods, all-minority public high school, and the elite colleges where I got my last two degrees. But the strategies are so different, it is safe to say that Tulane and Jackson State do not compete.

Tulane is about acquiring advanced knowledge, and heightened skills in Critical Thinking and Argument, in order to ascend to high levels of wealth and power. Jackson State is about becoming competent enough to hold down a job. Also, it is about Prancing Girls staying busy, so the football fellas can tackle each others' tight ends: 9 JSU Prancing J-Settes kicked off squad
Here, they perform the Lil' Wayne classic song, 'Rich as (ugly word)': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHX7SU46BtA And that's what education in the South is mostly about.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 08-04-2015 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson