Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 PM

3 posts, read 16,168 times

Advertisements

I was approached about relocating with my current job from Atlanta to Jackson, MS (job would be downtown). Having never been to, or heard much about, Jackson...I would love to get some words of advise before I make my decision.

First of all, is it safe to assume that the Jackson area is similar to Atlanta...like a mini-Atlanta? Currently me and my fiance live in the suburbs of Atlanta. Its a fast-growing city, much safer than Atlanta itself, and tons of new development going up(from the looks of it, similar to like a Brandon, Ridgeland, or Madison???). I drive from here to downtown atlanta for work now...its about 25mi. and takes around 50min to commute to work.

Second, I have been researching cities and the ones that stand out to me are Brandon, Ridgeland, and Madison. I am looking for a nicer, newer, growing-type of community...as opposed to an older one. I would like to to be in an area that has a lot of newer housing subdivisions/retail going up. And it would be ideal to be in an area that Race is not much of a (serious) issue, as me and my fiance are an interracial couple.

With all this being said, would Brandon/Ridgeland/Madison be the areas that I would need to be looking at? I would love to take this job (nearly doubles my current salary), but like I said, I have no clue about MS!!!

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 PM

30 posts, read 146,447 times
If you're looking for nicer/newer then you've got the right places: Madison, Ridgeland, pretty much anything north of Jackson proper. As for the other qualities of the city itself, I've visited ATL many times and there is really no comparison. Jackson pretty much shuts down after 6PM(weekends included) and the crime has gotten horrendous post-Katrina. I'd strongly advise living elsewhere....even the Gulf Coast, which was directly hit by Katrina, is in better shape than Jackson, in my opinion.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:27 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Well-LeavingtheATL, that is a tough decision. My son worked in Jackson and now lives in Sandy Springs. I only know from visiting and from his opinions. The nicer suburbs of Jackson like Madison are closer to downtown Jackson than say Sandy Springs would be to downtown Atlanta. In Jackson there is no metro though. In my opinion, Atlanta is much more appealing in the way of shopping, culture, eateries, choices for living, schooling, and recreation. However, if you are a settled person ready to be family and work oriented then Jackson should be fine. If you appreciate down time at home with friends and family, working on hobbies, or the foray to the bookstore or to do some sports activity you won't miss Atlanta. Also, if you would be socializing with your colleagues or if you would be traveling or basically have a job you like that gives you stimulation Jackson should again be fine. If you are a person who likes to leave work behind as fast as possible and get out of the house and get going--a ballgame, a show, a club, a museum --the hustle and bustle--Jackson may require some adjustment. My son for instance is very busy with his work and I don't think there is an iota of difference in his lifestyle from Jackson to Atlanta. Jackson has an airport that will get you just about anywhere and a minor league baseball team(at least it did?) and a zoo and some quaint areas like Fondren. In my humble opinion, it is not a very attractive town aesthetically overall if that matters to you. You won't have the gleam and shine of Atlanta.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the responses!

I kind of figured that that crime in Jackson may have gotten a little worse post-Katrina. Is the Crime bad in the areas like Madison, Ridgeland, Brandon at all??

As far as the "night life" type of stuff, I do not really go out to much. Tend to spend more time with my Family/Friends and my Fiance. We tend to stay home or go to movies, stuff like that. We do like to do some recreational things. So I think that aspect of Jackson will not bother me.

My main concerns were finding on of the newer areas to live in. Where we can find some new communities and get a new/newer house. My fiance loves areas that have a lot of new development, so that would be ideal.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Looking at some of the cost of living caulators...it looks like its even cheaper to live in the Jackson area compared to Atlanta, which is saying a lot. When we moved here (to Atlanta) from Seattle, WA, we were amazed with the amount of house you got for the money comparing the two. That being said, Jacksons overall cost of living score is 15% lower than that of Atlanta.

As a couple we would likely be bringing in about $80-90k/year. Could anyone of you that are really familiar with the Jackson suburbs recommend specific neighborhoods/subdivisions (or even GOOD real estate agents) that we should look at?

Thanks

Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 AM

227 posts, read 292,731 times
Id rather live in Jackson than ATL (im in charlotte now). I cant believe people are comparing crime in ATL with Jackson.

What you dont have in Jackson is pro sports, cultural amenities, nearly as many places to eat, international airport etc...
Atlanta is a metropolis and not really comparable to Jackson in any way. If you are expecting a little ATL forget it. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now.

Like others said, you will be pleasantly surprised at the housing costs and and easy commute to work.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,198 times
We are moving to Brandon, whick is in Rankin County. This is a dry county and something I don't think you will find in ATL. What I hear about the schools they are pretty good. The night life is missing and you have to drive to Jackson. Having spent the passt 3 months looking for a Home there is a lot of building going on in the county and prices are not to bad. We use a real estate agent in Brandon and am very pleased. Matt Case at Martella-Clark Realty.
also suggest Goggling Brandon Or Madison, MS

Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 AM

356 posts, read 1,345,161 times
I think the Reservoir area of Rankin County (Brandon) would be perfect for you. It is definitely a rapidly growing area. There are lots of new homes and businesses. We also have the Braves AA baseball in Pearl which isn't very far if you are a Braves fan.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 PM

23 posts, read 147,689 times
don't move here. i have lived here my entire life in the metro jackson area. this area is extremely segregated and kinda racist place to live. every suburban area is pretty much comprised of middle to upperclass white race. Also there is not much to do here in terms of leisure activities. There is one mall in ridgeland (madison county). one mall in jackson (metro center mall in west jackson - very undesirable). there is a shopping center in rankin county that is about 2 years old. it is nice but still doesn't offer much; nothing comparable to atlanta. also the job market is not good here. when you find a job here you better keep it. not trying to be negative just want to be honest. as

Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
AtlantaBound--LeavingtheAtlanta already has a job lined up. Everyone doesn't define quality of life by malls. I am no fan of Jackson on the whole, but I don't think the things you are worried about may have the same impact on others. As far as racist is concerned-I don't want that idea to remain in place. Mississippi has come a long long way and people can live just about whereever they can afford. The factor in housing is affordability and as people gain on the economic ladder they will gain access to better locales.
If you get a good education and have the means to live in Madison, you can. I, myself, though not in Jackson but in Mississippi, live in a totally mixed neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson