Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 06:10 PM

772 posts, read 992,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Steele View Post
I agree.
Mainly because indoor malls are a thing of the past, or are becoming a thing of the past. More outdoors malls are being built as we speak such as the District at Eastover, the Meridian at Fondren, & the place in Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,490,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Mainly because indoor malls are a thing of the past, or are becoming a thing of the past. More outdoors malls are being built as we speak such as the District at Eastover, the Meridian at Fondren, & the place in Clinton.
Indoor malls are not a "thing of the past." They are doing quite well in stable and safe areas. They are certainly declining in terms of new construction but again, there will continue to be new ones and old ones that thrive.

The rise of the outdoor mall is mostly a response to thugs and criminals creeping into malls to hang out and commit crime. That is what kills malls. Outdoor malls remove a lot of the practicalities of loitering all day.

Malls represent a massive capital investment and once one is perceived as a "bad mall" because of a demographic shift, it enters into a death spiral that it almost always permanent. Companies were building malls and seeing them go "bad" within a decade. Oddly enough, one of the number one indicators that a mall was about to start going bad was the locating of a new bus stop near the mall.

It is hoped that the national trend of outdoor centers will curb the problem.

Malls want women and old people during the day with a mixed multitude at night and on weekends. When you have teens hanging out during the day, that is the start of the end.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:52 PM

772 posts, read 992,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Indoor malls are not a "thing of the past." They are doing quite well in stable and safe areas. They are certainly declining in terms of new construction but again, there will continue to be new ones and old ones that thrive.

The rise of the outdoor mall is mostly a response to thugs and criminals creeping into malls to hang out and commit crime. That is what kills malls. Outdoor malls remove a lot of the practicalities of loitering all day.

Malls represent a massive capital investment and once one is perceived as a "bad mall" because of a demographic shift, it enters into a death spiral that it almost always permanent. Companies were building malls and seeing them go "bad" within a decade. Oddly enough, one of the number one indicators that a mall was about to start going bad was the locating of a new bus stop near the mall.

It is hoped that the national trend of outdoor centers will curb the problem.

Malls want women and old people during the day with a mixed multitude at night and on weekends. When you have teens hanging out during the day, that is the start of the end.
Are you suggesting that the area Northpark Mall is located, is not a safe area?

Old 01-02-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Are you suggesting that the area Northpark Mall is located, is not a safe area?
I defy you to articulate a compelling argument why you think I suggested such a thing.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,321,561 times
Quote:
I defy you to articulate a compelling argument why you think I suggested such a thing.

For Z; does it have a bus stop?

Btw; you articulated the reasons for decline very well.

This can even apply to what appears to be hugely successful properties. Lenox Square in Atlanta was warned by the neighboring area that Marta would have a negative affect. Well, it is like DT Atl, no, DT was never quite this bad as it never had the crowds, and they are not polite crowds either. Many businesses have left the area for new developments, but over time it can only go downhill. Tourists lamely stumble into the mall but hardly get half way anymore because the stores are posh but the crowds are not. If NM was not in its own wing it would already be gone, but they are doing everything they can including valet parking. They will have to move eventually because their clientele travels and does not have to shop in those kinds of environments.

Sad for it and Phipps across the street, same situation.

As to Northpark; I would feel unsafe going to the car at that property at night, otherwise I prefer Renaissance.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,340,971 times
I think you're both right. Indoor malls are becoming a thing of the past. The reason outdoor malls are now becoming popular is because of teenagers who are running off shoppers.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:04 AM

57 posts, read 58,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
I think you're both right. Indoor malls are becoming a thing of the past. The reason outdoor malls are now becoming popular is because of teenagers who are running off shoppers.
I understand teen crowds is the reason for declining malls (mostly indoor.)
Teen population is increasing in this country. Malls have a responsibility to provide a safe service for "any body", including teens.
Closing malls just because of teens existence is an absurd idea in itself. But sadly it is a reality.

It is time to think about providing a more comprehensive solution for all citizens.
We need a win-win solution.
Making simple changes to existing malls (such as below) comes to my mind.

Secure walkway lanes from bust-stop into the malls (Teens will know they are in a secure zone and must adhere to some rules for everybody's safety.)
A bit more security and surveillance inside malls.
Stores that attract teens (e.g. low price items etc.)
A mix of medical clinics inside those malls.
Restriction on the size of teen groups (7 or 8 per group) during regular mall timings.
Designated mall timings when a larger size teen congregations are allowed (for socializing with their friends.) and have more security in the malls around that time.
Designated teen restricted (i.e. must be accompanied by an adult) mall sections where high-end stores are present.

Without this kind of solutions teens grow addicted to social media (like twitter/facebook/xyz).

Last edited by VennyG; 01-03-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,340,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennyG View Post
Teen population is increasing in this country. Malls have a responsibility to provide a safe service for "any body", including teens.
Closing malls just because of teens existence is an absurd idea in itself. But sadly it is a reality.

It is time to think about providing a more comprehensive solution for all citizens.

Secure walkway lanes from bust-stop into the malls (Teens will know they are in a secure zone and must adhere to some rules for everybody's safety.)
Restriction on the size of teen groups (7 or 8 per group) during regular mall timings.
Designated mall timings when a larger size teen congregations are allowed (for socializing with their friends.) and have more security in the malls around that time.
Designated teen restricted (i.e. must be accompanied by an adult) mall sections where high-end stores are present.

Without this kind of solutions teens grow addicted to social media (like twitter/facebook/xyz).
Tighter security? Medical clinics? Sounds so much fun.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennyG View Post

It is not the job of a corporation that owns malls to do anything other than make a profit in a legal manner. They are not social justice centers or charities. They are retail centers that need people to spend money. Adults do that. Adults do not want to go to and spend a lot of money at a place that caters to broke teens.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:05 PM

57 posts, read 58,266 times
Quote:
It is not the job of a corporation that owns malls to do anything other than make a profit in a legal manner. They are not social justice centers or charities. They are retail centers that need people to spend money. Adults do that. Adults do not want to go to and spend a lot of money at a place that caters to broke teens.
Agreed. But if malls cant (or dont) entertain a dominating population pool then those malls may die.
Which is why I suggested a better alternative, to work with the population pool (teens).
In a decade those teens will grow into a strong buying power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson