U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:04 PM

3,250 posts, read 4,333,148 times

Advertisements

Bitsi, yesterday, emailed to tell me that a beautiful tree-sized English Holly, on Church Street, had been CUT DOWN. "Not limbed-up into a small tree, like we wanted to volunteer to do, but just plain cut-down... White Trash style... just gone. Fifteen feet tall, probably planted in '65, and now just GONE!"

The Right People
have long memories, where growies are concerned. We've been told about Retta C., saving some big Camellia Japonicas, in Belhaven, from a brainless bush-whacker (employed by some rednecky grifters from a bad part of Jackson, who'd made some money, and were looking to do a bit of social climbing), in the early Eighties. He was going to cut those half-century-old botanical treasures down to the ground, until she intervened. Three decades later, those huge camellias still add grace to the landscape. Retta's on our 'Righteous List' - the good list - and she's just one example. We know who plants, and we know who destroys. And we know who the botanical heroes are, too.

We know whose MAMA cut down that beautiful Chinese conifer in Belhaven, and which architect arbitrarily caused dozens of venerable boxwoods in Woodland Hills to be destroyed. (they're blacklisted, as are their spawn). But luckily, Belhaven's been an IQ mecca, and people there tend to plant and save, rather than destroy. Driving around Belhaven, you see many wonderful plants surviving from the 1920s, and even before. Old plants can develop so much character and beauty. The plants are the primary amenity the Belhaven district has to offer. There are even Camellia Sassanqua limbed-up into beautiful little trees (https://tikorangi.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=450&h=315) - blooming just when blossoms are rarest and most welcome. Such things make the neighborhood magical.

Madison cannot afford an influx of no-neck monsters, raping the landscape.

Madison County tended to be pretty genteel. It attracted genteel people moving to the Jackson Metro. Nicer people want more greenery. Not-so-nice types want everything cut down. "So's yuh kee-yin suaee thuh hiii-eee-yowse!" And the mad stampede of the lower classes of whites from Jackson (and from all the other places in the state which are becoming uninhabitable), is apparently undermining Madison County gentility.

Just now, somebody was calling from his car,
"They got the live oaks in front of Sherwin Williams. It's HORRIBLE! The place is turning into PEARL! ... the Old Pearl! ...Highway 80 Pearl - before Pearl started gentrifying." Those Live Oaks were maybe twenty years old - just beginning to add some loveliness to the landscape. And now... gone... twenty years of progress erased, at the insistence of a tenant who possibly should have considered another community.

One can only hope that the news from Bolton, about the giant new factory to be built there, will stop the stampede to Madison, and cause a renaissance on the West side of the Metro. Hopefully, it will create a viable alternative for people who really don't belong in Madison. I've put a grotesque amount of money into the wooded homesite I've had prepared in Madison, just in case we ever return and want to build. But honestly, if any more Honey Boo boo types move in, with their bush-whacking ways, I'm not going to keep it.

Honey Boo Boo's house had not one bush in the yard (http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...ey9f-3-web.jpg). And it doesn't matter what you drive, what you wear, where you send your kids to school, how aerobics-toned your body is, or what you do for a living. If you come to a nice community and start cutting down the growies, you will be seen as being NO BETTER THAN THE BOO BOO FAMILY.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-18-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,251,427 times
There is no place of stoic normalcy here. The entire place is in a constant state of outbound flux. While family names are mobile, there is no place for them to find long term stability. The leaps of the next three generations will find the residue of Jackson society bumping into the southward flow of Memphis' escapees. All that is Madison will eventually be a trite conversation among the elderly about "It was once nice...."

When the first check cashing place goes into Renaissance it will be too late.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 PM

168 posts, read 126,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
All that is Madison will eventually be a trite conversation among the elderly about "It was once nice...."
Sad, but true. I'm sure no one ever thought that Jackson would become the cesspool it is today but look what happened there. Unfortunately, the worse Jackson gets, the worse off surrounding areas will get as well. (Look at Pearl.. Flowood.... Bye!)

That is the saddest part about living in the Jackson metro to me, there is no longer any sense of community like folks had back in the old days of Jackson. All anyone can talk about is how good "it used to be." Yeah, don't get me wrong there is still thriving communities in Jackson (Belhaven area, Fondren, etc.), but like it seems most things are nowadays, goodness is the exception rather than the rule.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
There is no place of stoic normalcy here. The entire place is in a constant state of outbound flux. While family names are mobile, there is no place for them to find long term stability. The leaps of the next three generations will find the residue of Jackson society bumping into the southward flow of Memphis' escapees. All that is Madison will eventually be a trite conversation among the elderly about "It was once nice...."

When the first check cashing place goes into Renaissance it will be too late.
I'm afraid you may be right. Madison was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be like Beverly Hills, Highland Park (Tx), Rancho Santa Fe (Ca), Mountain Brook (Al), Boca Raton (Fl), Coral Gables (Fl), and Grosse Pointe Farms (Mi) - a high promontory above the flood - immune to the obsolescence planned into other communities - immune to the planned obsolescence envisioned by certain powers, long before Mary made it the best town in the state, and began eliminating the planned obsolescence - building in PERMANENCE. You CAN design a community that is not just another expendable stop on the Interstate, away from the dying core. And that was what was happening.

I don't know if the things I'm hearing about, and seeing, are anomalous, or if they are indicative of a permanent change. I'm hoping it's the former.

I sense that someone with the city - surely someone with no taste and class - has gotten too big. And I'm guessing that another someone, who was instrumental in the town's miraculous ascendancy, has been 'Sent to the Cornfield' (https://tammyinpdx.files.wordpress.c...ield.jpg?w=300).

There's a spa/salon on Madison Avenue, adjacent the Victorian cottages in the Historic District, with doors that look like something Victoria Gotti would pick. Sorry... 'Victorian' and 'Victoria' are not the same thing. "A touch of New Jersey, on Madison Avenue!" (Brochure idea!).

And there's a new jewelry store on Highland Colony Parkway which gives me deja-vus of Mansard-roofed Jackson buildings from the SIXTIES. It looks like Frances Pepper's old store - after Frances died, and the metal mansard got resurfaced in ASPHALT SHINGLES. (!!!) Yes! Asphalt shingles (the fancy kind, with "The Shadows") prominently displayed as a major element. WHY, WHY, why...

Has Thad issued an ultimatum (maybe doing the bidding of Andrew, Big Jim, and Buster?) along the lines of "Stop trying to be special, or I will crush you!"? If so, I understand. Thad could.

I can transfer the entity owning my properties there to Babette, who's been wanting them, anyway. Babette can move, as can Bitsi, Izzi, and most of our friends. They can all afford to go to Chile, or Hawaii, or Montecito, or pretty much anywhere. But not everybody can. So I feel like the Japanese Twins singing to Mothra. I want to say, "Please, awake, and save this beautiful town from the invading monsters!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stavnP7kcGU

Old 02-20-2016, 05:24 PM

Update! PARTIAL FALSE ALARM...

Our mutual Decorator drove over to Church Street, to check on the carnage, and is happy to report that the big Holly still stands, and seems to be in the process of being limbed-up, as we've been itching to do, for a decade. I'm sure it will be lovely.

"It was dark, when Bitsi saw the pile of holly limbs, out by the curb, and I think she was blinded by all the illuminated gizmos in the cockpit of her new XJL, and didn't realize she'd already passed the house with the Holly tree!"

So, there's that much less to worry about, in Madison. We were afraid that the house had changed hands, and "gone rental" (We always knew that there were lovely people living there. All you had to do was look at the beautiful plantings, and you knew they were nice.)

(Note to Bitsi: If the new Jaguars are anything like my Rapide, and the Ghost that it replaced, there's an adjustment, somewhere, to tone-down that galaxy of dashboard lights - not that
I could find it... But that's what Personal Assistants are for.)

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-20-2016 at 05:56 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 12:01 AM

772 posts, read 809,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I'm afraid you may be right. Madison was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be like Beverly Hills, Highland Park (Tx), Rancho Santa Fe (Ca), Mountain Brook (Al), Boca Raton (Fl), Coral Gables (Fl), and Grosse Pointe Farms (Mi) - a high promontory above the flood - immune to the obsolescence planned into other communities - immune to the planned obsolescence envisioned by certain powers, long before Mary made it the best town in the state, and began eliminating the planned obsolescence - building in PERMANENCE. You CAN design a community that is not just another expendable stop on the Interstate, away from the dying core. And that was what was happening.

I don't know if the things I'm hearing about, and seeing, are anomalous, or if they are indicative of a permanent change. I'm hoping it's the former.

I sense that someone with the city - surely someone with no taste and class - has gotten too big. And I'm guessing that another someone, who was instrumental in the town's miraculous ascendancy, has been 'Sent to the Cornfield' (https://tammyinpdx.files.wordpress.c...ield.jpg?w=300).

There's a spa/salon on Madison Avenue, adjacent the Victorian cottages in the Historic District, with doors that look like something Victoria Gotti would pick. Sorry... 'Victorian' and 'Victoria' are not the same thing. "A touch of New Jersey, on Madison Avenue!" (Brochure idea!).

And there's a new jewelry store on Highland Colony Parkway which gives me deja-vus of Mansard-roofed Jackson buildings from the SIXTIES. It looks like Frances Pepper's old store - after Frances died, and the metal mansard got resurfaced in ASPHALT SHINGLES. (!!!) Yes! Asphalt shingles (the fancy kind, with "The Shadows") prominently displayed as a major element. WHY, WHY, why...

Has Thad issued an ultimatum (maybe doing the bidding of Andrew, Big Jim, and Buster?) along the lines of "Stop trying to be special, or I will crush you!"? If so, I understand. Thad could.

I can transfer the entity owning my properties there to Babette, who's been wanting them, anyway. Babette can move, as can Bitsi, Izzi, and most of our friends. They can all afford to go to Chile, or Hawaii, or Montecito, or pretty much anywhere. But not everybody can. So I feel like the Japanese Twins singing to Mothra. I want to say, "Please, awake, and save this beautiful town from the invading monsters!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stavnP7kcGU
The spa/salon is a barber shop inside of an historic home on Madison Ave, & the "new" jewelry store, is actually Juniker Jewelry from Highland Village here in Jackson.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:11 AM

19,207 posts, read 24,119,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Bitsi, yesterday, emailed to tell me that a beautiful tree-sized English Holly, on Church Street, had been CUT DOWN. "Not limbed-up into a small tree, like we wanted to volunteer to do, but just plain cut-down... White Trash style... just gone. Fifteen feet tall, probably planted in '65, and now just GONE!"

The Right People
have long memories, where growies are concerned. We've been told about Retta C., saving some big Camellia Japonicas, in Belhaven, from a brainless bush-whacker (employed by some rednecky grifters from a bad part of Jackson, who'd made some money, and were looking to do a bit of social climbing), in the early Eighties. He was going to cut those half-century-old botanical treasures down to the ground, until she intervened. Three decades later, those huge camellias still add grace to the landscape. Retta's on our 'Righteous List' - the good list - and she's just one example. We know who plants, and we know who destroys. And we know who the botanical heroes are, too.

We know whose MAMA cut down that beautiful Chinese conifer in Belhaven, and which architect arbitrarily caused dozens of venerable boxwoods in Woodland Hills to be destroyed. (they're blacklisted, as are their spawn). But luckily, Belhaven's been an IQ mecca, and people there tend to plant and save, rather than destroy. Driving around Belhaven, you see many wonderful plants surviving from the 1920s, and even before. Old plants can develop so much character and beauty. The plants are the primary amenity the Belhaven district has to offer. There are even Camellia Sassanqua limbed-up into beautiful little trees (https://tikorangi.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=450&h=315) - blooming just when blossoms are rarest and most welcome. Such things make the neighborhood magical.

Madison cannot afford an influx of no-neck monsters, raping the landscape.

Madison County tended to be pretty genteel. It attracted genteel people moving to the Jackson Metro. Nicer people want more greenery. Not-so-nice types want everything cut down. "So's yuh kee-yin suaee thuh hiii-eee-yowse!" And the mad stampede of the lower classes of whites from Jackson (and from all the other places in the state which are becoming uninhabitable), is apparently undermining Madison County gentility.

Just now, somebody was calling from his car,
"They got the live oaks in front of Sherwin Williams. It's HORRIBLE! The place is turning into PEARL! ... the Old Pearl! ...Highway 80 Pearl - before Pearl started gentrifying." Those Live Oaks were maybe twenty years old - just beginning to add some loveliness to the landscape. And now... gone... twenty years of progress erased, at the insistence of a tenant who possibly should have considered another community.

One can only hope that the news from Bolton, about the giant new factory to be built there, will stop the stampede to Madison, and cause a renaissance on the West side of the Metro. Hopefully, it will create a viable alternative for people who really don't belong in Madison. I've put a grotesque amount of money into the wooded homesite I've had prepared in Madison, just in case we ever return and want to build. But honestly, if any more Honey Boo boo types move in, with their bush-whacking ways, I'm not going to keep it.

Honey Boo Boo's house had not one bush in the yard (http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...ey9f-3-web.jpg). And it doesn't matter what you drive, what you wear, where you send your kids to school, how aerobics-toned your body is, or what you do for a living. If you come to a nice community and start cutting down the growies, you will be seen as being NO BETTER THAN THE BOO BOO FAMILY.

I want to read the rest of the book. I want to know every last thing about these people, their botanical exploits, what they had for breakfast, what they threw off of that bridge on Saturday night, and on Sunday, what made Miss Krystal Jayne Shivers run out of the First Baptist church when Rev. Bigsley lead the congregation in "Shall We Gather By the River?".

What I am saying is that you are an amazing writer in the Southern Gothic genre. And, if y'all ever want to collaborate on a book or a play, give me a shout, Miss Gloria.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:11 PM

456 posts, read 545,608 times
The proliferation of a burgeoning underclass? Has the Kardashian klan invested in Madison?

Maybe Joni Mitchell is singing about Madison in Big Yellow Taxi. https://youtu.be/94bdMSCdw20

Old 02-24-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
The proliferation of a burgeoning underclass? Has the Kardashian klan invested in Madison?

Maybe Joni Mitchell is singing about Madison in Big Yellow Taxi. https://youtu.be/94bdMSCdw20
Interesting you should link to a song about parking lots. Madison is different, in that respect. Trees are MANDATED for parking lots there. That's why it's such a shock that a pushy prospective tenant was (apparently) allowed to bully his landlord (and, it appears, the City) into removal of those beautiful trees.

Even the parking lot at the Madison WalMart is beautifully landscaped. It's hardly unique. All over town, there is lush landscaping, announcing that it's a special place which caters to above-average people.

As for the Kartrashians... They'd fit in pretty well with all the other Hollywood types who're in Madison, whenever there's a film being made locally. Sandra Bullock is quite familiar with Madison, as is Alec Baldwin. And while The Help was filmed in Greenwood and Jackson, the World Premier was in Madison (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZGqz0shO0g). If you ask ME, it was incredibly dufus to have those stars lingering outside, in summer, in Mississippi's horrendous heat, IN THE BROILING SUNSHINE. But nobody asked me how to do it. (But notice in that video, that the new parking lots on Grandview are liberally peppered with trees? If you build in Madison, you'd better be prepared to plant some trees. And that's how it ought to be.)

Apparently, the premiere for 'Get On Up' was held in Madison, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmb9Guky9O0.

If I remember correctly, Mary Ann Mobley and Gary Collins had a place in Madison. And plenty of stars live there, while movies are being made in Mississippi.

When a movie's being made in the area, there are days when The Strawberry Cafe and Beagle Bagel have more movie people dining there, than the 'ordinary' run-of-the-millionaires who are the eateries' regulars.

And the Kardashians' child-rearing methods would mesh so wonderfully with those of many Madison locals. I can definitely Imagine Brady Eaves partying with the Kardashian kids: Brady Eves named as man who bit head off live hamster in video | Daily Mail Online . The Daily Mail (yes, Brady helped keep Mississippi in world news) described the young soccer star in great detail.

Brady's step-"dad" was a gubernatorial candidate, a while back. The elder Eaves ran TV ads, prior to announcing his candidacy, telling the public what a fine Christian lawyer he was (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Vb...9NPrjCaFGibSow ). Little Brady was even in one ad, as was Brady's mom, Angel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuyapdLRR0 Now, there was a moment, years ago, when Governor Boss Hogg (AKA Haley Barbour) was said to have called Angel a "Trophy Wife". Her reply made national news: Family Values: Governor Gibes Democratic Couple

I see where Brady got that cute bunnyrabbit nose. In my world, we PAY to have noses like that installed. Ask Candy and Tori Spelling: it's a rite of passage. But Brady was BORN with that perfect little nose. And personally, I would never judge harshly, anyone whose bangs are absolutely perfect. Brady's hair is gorgeous. So, I must say that it speaks to his having grown up in a Christian home, that Brady and his friends reportedly got the hamster high, prior to the tiny creature's having its head bitten off. And did I mention the animal-loving family's MISSING SNAKE? Search on for missing boa constrictor | Local News - WAPT Home .

But really, the Kardashians could go spring-breaking with any of many Madison family groups - Mississippians arrested in Destin on alleged Spring Break violations In fact, those two Madison Moms even LOOK like Kardashians.

When it comes to dating preferences, it seems that the Torrence family might be perfect people for the Kardashians to "hang with". Here's a delightful Hip Hop video shot at the Torrence McMansion (In Madison County, not Madison-proper): Jackson Jambalaya: Changing up in Flora Now, I know why all the rich Mississippi rednecks I know, obsess over having "islands" in the middles of their big, fancy kitchens. It's for entertaining! Family members are said to figure prominently in that video. The daughter may be the blonde on the bed in the black bikini. The family tends to stay in the News: Jackson Jambalaya: Judge throws a tragic change-up at Torrence. Mr. Torrence reportedly has businesses in Southern California, and so Torrences and the Kardashians could even share jets, as they go back and forth! Why does that cute daughter remind me of Jenna Bush? Actually, come to think of it, she reminds me of ALL the young Bushes!

And if the Torrences are in Cali, while the Kardashians are in Madison, then there are plenty of other great households in the county, known for hospitality: Jackson Jambalaya: Dulskes' trial reset for August.

Verily, if the worst things you have to worry about in Hidden Hills are the Kardashians, andif there's nothing worse to worry about in Madison, than permissive nouveaux riches and destroyers of trees, then both enclaves are extremely nice places, where anyone would be lucky to live.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,066,825 times
None of this stupid garbage has anything to do with the Jackson area. This isn't a wannabe creative writing class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or