Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 08:08 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
They were doing so well before the state took over, right?
The water system wasn't so screwed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 09:52 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,452 times
You're right. Flint was a utopia (with lead water pipes) before that evil state government took over.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:26 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,409,696 times
Nobody said Flint was a utopia, but do some research on how the crisis happened.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 PM

57 posts, read 58,927 times
Hi guys why are we mucking around about Flint. Jackson has enough problems already. Lets get some new businesses into Jackson.

But first things first: Let us fix those pot holes. They are giving wrong impressions about the city. We need to have a better hitech potholes contractor for the city. Those current contractors are using the same old goo all the time. That goo (they may call it asphalt) is holds it for less than one rainy season. Literally.

Last edited by VennyG; 05-15-2016 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-15-2016, 09:16 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,349,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennyG View Post
Hi guys why are we mucking around about Flint.
Some people list to shift attention?

Old 05-20-2016, 03:49 PM

289 posts, read 304,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennyG View Post
Hi guys why are we mucking around about Flint. Jackson has enough problems already. Lets get some new businesses into Jackson.

But first things first: Let us fix those pot holes. They are giving wrong impressions about the city. We need to have a better hitech potholes contractor for the city. Those current contractors are using the same old goo all the time. That goo (they may call it asphalt) is holds it for less than one rainy season. Literally.
I've actually been looking at opening a business in Jackson (I have a relatively successful chain, and Jackson makes sense for me to expand into). I've been thinking about it for about three years now, and honestly I'm probably never going to pull that trigger. Jackson has too many problems and no one seems to care about fixing them.

The potholes are a start. Just driving around Jackson is a nightmare. And it's been exactly the same since I lived in MS almost a decade ago. Actually, it's worse now, since time makes potholes out of all roads.

Then there's the fact that no one actually wants to come to Jackson. It seems like unless you live there, you are never going to go there if you can avoid it. I mean, even look at a place like the Fondren - so much promise, so much enthusiasm, and yet it's still basically just people who live in Jackson who do anything there. Everyone else makes it as far as County Line Rd. and calls it quits.

That wouldn't be such a big problem, except that pretty much everyone with money has already fled Jackson. They're all in Madison and Ridgeland now. So you're left with a city that is virtually isolated, has a shrinking population, and has a median income far below that of the state. At that point, what's the point of opening a new business? Unless you're catering to residents selling a low-cost, frequently-used product like lunch, or unless you're mostly doing business out of state (like ecommerce or consulting), there's nothing in Jackson to attract new business.

I'm not sure how to go about changing that. Fixing the potholes, and the roads in general, is a good start, but then what next?

Old 05-21-2016, 03:39 PM

799 posts, read 1,064,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Nobody said Flint was a utopia, but do some research on how the crisis happened.
Madison never researches anything, they just run their mouth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson