U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:04 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,260,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
I don't know much about Jackson personally.
hahaha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,613,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarstorm View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I was just looking at some pictures of the Natchez Trace and it looks beautiful, so I will definitely have to check it out.
Also, I just now noticed the part about what to avoid. Pretty much anything inside the I-20/220/55 loop except the Fondren area. I'd avoid South Jackson too all the way to Terry. Just like anything else, keep your eyes open and do the vehicle test.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 10,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Also, I just now noticed the part about what to avoid. Pretty much anything inside the I-20/220/55 loop except the Fondren area. I'd avoid South Jackson too all the way to Terry. Just like anything else, keep your eyes open and do the vehicle test.
Got it. Unfortunately most of the museums are within that I-20/220/55 loop... I'm assuming as long as I'm driving there and it's during the day I should be fine.

Also, one other question, since I'm planning to see the gardens and parks... Around what time of year do the flowers and trees start blooming? I know it probably varies depending on the weather, but if I went in late March, should I expect to see things starting to bloom? I just don't want to go there and find everything still barren lol.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:45 AM

1,662 posts, read 1,613,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarstorm View Post
Got it. Unfortunately most of the museums are within that I-20/220/55 loop... I'm assuming as long as I'm driving there and it's during the day I should be fine.

Also, one other question, since I'm planning to see the gardens and parks... Around what time of year do the flowers and trees start blooming? I know it probably varies depending on the weather, but if I went in late March, should I expect to see things starting to bloom? I just don't want to go there and find everything still barren lol.
You should be OK in late March or early April. Depends on the weather.

On the museums and such, not sure where they are, but if there are near the downtown biz district and Fondren and all that, you'll be fine. Just don't get off in the neighborhoods.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:48 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,260,013 times
You keep talking about Fondren. Fondren this. Fondren that. It's one street. I love that someone who admits they don't know anything about Jackson is giving advice. Hilarious.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:50 AM

Most of the museums and such are from Jackson city center points north/east thru Belhaven and towards the State Park.

So the State Capitol Building, Old Capitol Museum, Governor's Mansion, Museum of Art, and Smith Robertson Museum are all within several blocks of each other.

The Eduora Welty House/Garden is right outside Belhaven U, and then the Agricultural Museum and Museum of Natural Science are right outside Bluff State Park.

The only thing I'd like to see that is a bit removed from everything else is Medgar Evers Home, which is just NE of Hawkins Field Airport.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:28 PM

5,444 posts, read 3,152,477 times
There's also the Natchez Trace Parkway, thought this doesn't come up much. It's probably the closest thing to biking in natural (or semi-natural) settings you'll get in the Jackson area if that's important to you. Aside from that, Memphis, New Orleans, and the Coast are three hours away a piece. You might want to check out the Miss. Public Broadcasting series "Mississippi Roads" on YouTube if you want some extra experiences, or at least give you an idea of what to look for when getting to know the culture.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:00 PM

76 posts, read 97,292 times
guitarstorm the Natchez Trace is absolutely beautiful. If you land a job in Brandon I would live there, not Jackson. Lots of folks really like Brandon. I thoroughly agree with Mississippi Alabama Line

Last edited by Jennymovingaroundusa; 12-28-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-28-2016, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I already did some research on the Natchez Trace... Just the pictures alone make me want to go see it. I don't plan on driving the whole length up into Tennessee, but even just taking it from Natchez to Jackson I'm sure I'd be able to see a lot. Who knows, I may like it so much that I'll keep going all the way up to Tupelo lol.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 PM

147 posts, read 125,431 times
If you are traveling down the Trace toward Natchez, don't miss the ruins of Windsor, near Port Gibson. Also, there is a lovely place to stay in Port Gibson, Isabella B & B, where you will find relaxed, unpretentious, genuine Southern hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson