U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:16 PM

806 posts, read 769,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
This guy gets it. It's fun to talk and dream and wish about gentrification, but it is simply not happening and likely not going to happen in the foreseeable future. I wish it would happen, but just because it is happening elsewhere, doesn't mean it is/will happen here. There is nothing to make you people want to live in downtown, Fondren or Belhaven is significant numbers.

Oops! In the last sentence above, you should be young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 12:09 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,341,729 times
Too much growth can be a bad thing. Look at California. The state is running out of space and water. Mississippi doesn't have those problems.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:55 PM

995 posts, read 589,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Too much growth can be a bad thing. Look at California. The state is running out of space and water. Mississippi doesn't have those problems.
Because no one wants to live there.

I only suggest Mississippi to those who want a slower pace of life and are self-employed/independently wealthy. Anyone else is just wasting their time trying to make the state something it isn't.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:27 PM

44 posts, read 25,393 times
White flight will never end in Jackson MS, are you kidding me?

Old 08-21-2017, 04:03 PM

977 posts, read 594,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post

I only suggest Mississippi to those who want a slower pace of life and are self-employed/independently wealthy. Anyone else is just wasting their time trying to make the state something it isn't.
You really don't think the state of Mississippi could not support ONE urban area?

I can nearly guarantee that Jackson will gentrify in the next 15 years.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
You really don't think the state of Mississippi could not support ONE urban area?

Oh, you're a psychic now? And no, absolutely not, hell no it cannot support an urban area. Mississippi is a state that has its roots in agriculture and feudalism and the vast majority of people and politicians there want to keep it that way, not to mention their hostility to "outsiders" or any ideas/employers that would make the state progress and move forward. Jackson is not an island that is immune to this mentality, and anything that would make Jackson gentrify with transplants from the surrounding region/all over the country would be met with resistance by the state legislature and business leaders who want to maintain their fiefdoms without other businesses competing with them. But hey, keep dreaming/deluding yourself into thinking that Jackson will ever be more than what it is. It can't even compete with Baton Rouge or Little Rock. A lot of Jackson's issues have roots in issues that started in the 1980s and 1990s, so to think that a quick turnaround will happen in 15 years is nothing short of delusional and quixotic.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 PM

161 posts, read 113,198 times
Quote:

Yeah.. And we'll have legal weed in Mississippi in the next 15 years too. HA!

Keep waiting, son. Mississippi will never change. Young adults flee from here in droves.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashington View Post
Yeah.. And we'll have legal weed in Mississippi in the next 15 years too. HA!

Keep waiting, son. Mississippi will never change. Young adults flee from here in droves.
...and the ones who stay put usually are fine with the way things are because they are hostile to any change/don't know any better because they've never been anywhere outside the state/region. The ones that come back "to help the state move forward" either (a) get sucked into the mentality/mindset because they're either shouted down and realize that it's futile or (b) realize there isn't much hope for change, so they leave.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:54 AM

44 posts, read 25,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post

That's why Mississippi wins the award year in year out for one of the worst states in practically every category. They like it, which is fine I guess, but it's also blind or at least "satisfied" or complacent. A city right across the border is exactly the same: Memphis.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:39 AM

3 posts, read 1,820 times
Quote:
In order to have a real conversation about this, you have to stop with the "whites are the devil" brand of racism talk. We all know the past, and it shouldn't be forgotten, but white people in 2017 must STOP being judged. Until everything one does that, and BOTH sides take responsibility as to why the two races have not successfully significantly integrated anywhere in the country, we will get nowhere. We will not be united. So far it's been nothing but "whites are racist". It doesn't fly anymore. Nobody even really believes it, IMO....people are just wanting to blame someone....anyone....for whatever it may be that plagues them.

I agree, but it will still be culturally divided. It won't be straight white/black separation, but certainly 80/20.

This elephant has been in the room ever since the 70s/80s. No one will touch it.

I know the truth. I know the past. I am willing to face it head on - but I am not uniting along that front with ANYONE unless they are willing to do the same things regarding their own shortcomings. This is the only way forward.

There must first be a handshake that signals "it's time, we are both presently losing".
Part of the reason these conversations don't happen is because of these kind of replies. Any mention of the devastating effects whites had on the black community is met with a disingenuous "oh come on we were all at fault" attitude. And its simply not true. It's a rewriting of history and it's impossible to move forward if simple facts can't even be acknowledged. And yes, people still believe there are racist whites... because there are. If we really want Jackson or any other major city to thrive, we must be able to look at the underlying causes of its current situation and address those issues without letting pride get in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or