U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,024,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechosen View Post
I did not think people would be defensive and comical about what I have said. It seems being black in this country especially in Mississippi is a crime.I feel so emotional for any Black person that has to deal with my backwards crazy people in Mississippi. I may not experience what blacks get to experience but right now I can't get my family to visit me here in Mississippi because of the negative stigma that comes with it and after viewing the comments I can see why. It breaks my heart really because I have black friends and a biracial niece who has to deal with my ignorant people. Whether or not you guys want to accept reality it is in their dna and if my people care to read and step outside this zionist controlled government they will see facts and I'm not an alter ego or just some white guy who is proliberal.
Please go be ridiculous somewhere else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:21 PM

161 posts, read 113,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechosen View Post
I did not think people would be defensive and comical about what I have said. It seems being black in this country especially in Mississippi is a crime.I feel so emotional for any Black person that has to deal with my backwards crazy people in Mississippi. I may not experience what blacks get to experience but right now I can't get my family to visit me here in Mississippi because of the negative stigma that comes with it and after viewing the comments I can see why. It breaks my heart really because I have black friends and a biracial niece who has to deal with my ignorant people. Whether or not you guys want to accept reality it is in their dna and if my people care to read and step outside this zionist controlled government they will see facts and I'm not an alter ego or just some white guy who is proliberal.
OK we are bored of you. You're pretty played out. Move on back to the Atlanta forums with your trolling.

No one has said being black is a crime. We just don't care about your weird history you're talking about that isn't really relevant to anything.

I promise your biracial niece can come visit you in Mississippi and she'll be perfectly fine. Just don't start trying to discuss ancient history with random folks.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:18 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,013,001 times
White flight from Jackson ending? Ha-ha-ha-ha...No.

It's only slowed down because there aren't many left, but as long as Jackson's leadership is the way they are, it will continue, but just at a slower rate.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:17 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,011,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
This guy is right, but not because of what he thinks. You have to dig deeper and understand the culture differences of white people and black people back in those days. People want to maintain their culture, and they don't want to be shot in the head walking down the street. The government was subsidizing many minorities looking for housing, in order to socially engineer the neighborhoods. The whole deal FAILED terribly, but they are still too stupid to realize it.

It just is what it is. I don't really see anyone as 'racist' in the deal.

Like GG said, Jackson is just 20 years behind Birmingham. The white flight has slowed considerably here, and people are gentrifying downtown at an alarming rate. Now, that being said, I don't know that downtowns will EVER be a place where middle/high class folks come to raise a family. But, people looking for nightlife and adventure and such, will continue to be attracted to the core. As will restaurants, bars, the arts, etc. When children show up, it's back to the burbs.

What are these culture differences? I've heard people say this, but where specifically is this cultural split?

This isn't Houston or Miami where a good chunk of the blacks are Nigerian or Haitian or Jamaican etc. Many of the blacks and whites in MS share recent common ancestors, eat much of the same food and have lived together for more than 200 years. Honestly, blacks and whites in the South have more in common with each other than blacks/whites in any other part of the nation.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:06 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,105,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is the wave of white flight from Jackson coming to an end?
If Jackson ever starts to gentrify, like so many other cities of all sizes all across the country have, I bet there would be quite a few whites that would move to Jackson.

Anymore, in most cities, it seems like the areas closest to downtown are among the most desireable and expensive areas of town. What use to be a dangerous ghetto 20 years ago is now one of the most desireable and expensive areas of town. On the other side of that coin, the people who lived near downtown when it was a ghetto, are now living in what use to be among the most desireable suburbs. The further it is from downtown, the more ghetto it gets.

Thats the way it seems like the country's growing. It's pretty much reversed from the time when suburbs and interstates 1st started popping up, back in the 1950's, when people with money were leaving the cities for the suburbs via the interstates.

If gentrifying hasn't begun to happen in Jackson yet, its only a matter of time until it does.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 PM

806 posts, read 769,716 times
I wish it were true and hope it happens, but there is no white migration into Jackson and there will likely will not be one in the foreseeable future. Simply, there is nothing to draw people (professional blacks or whites) in and there are no plans to develop anything to entice people into Jackson. I think most of the black leaders in Jackson do not want gentrification.

Over the years, city leaders of Jackson, both black and white, have been woefully behind the curve when it comes to developing Jackson to its full potential, which there was a lot of back in the 70/80s. Jackson is now in a huge mess and it's only getting worse without much hope. I wish it weren't so, but that's the cold, hard truth.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If Jackson ever starts to gentrify, like so many other cities of all sizes all across the country have, I bet there would be quite a few whites that would move to Jackson.

Anymore, in most cities, it seems like the areas closest to downtown are among the most desireable and expensive areas of town. What use to be a dangerous ghetto 20 years ago is now one of the most desireable and expensive areas of town. On the other side of that coin, the people who lived near downtown when it was a ghetto, are now living in what use to be among the most desireable suburbs. The further it is from downtown, the more ghetto it gets.

Thats the way it seems like the country's growing. It's pretty much reversed from the time when suburbs and interstates 1st started popping up, back in the 1950's, when people with money were leaving the cities for the suburbs via the interstates.

If gentrifying hasn't begun to happen in Jackson yet, its only a matter of time until it does.
I love when people act like just because something works in cities like NY or SF that somehow it will work in cities like Jackson

Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,105,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
I love when people act like just because something works in cities like NY or SF that somehow it will work in cities like Jackson
Wow...i didn't see that one coming. I wasn't even a thinking about N.Y. or SF so I don't why you thought that's how I was "acting".

If everybody has the attitude that "things are bad and they are only getting worse", then yes, there's little hope for Jackson. Would that be more to your liking?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM

Oh please tell me more about how wrong I am. I mean, I only live here

Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM

187 posts, read 156,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
Oh please tell me more about how wrong I am. I mean, I only live here
The thing is that, this type of downtown revival/gentrification is occurring in cities of all sizes, and in all areas of the country, it isn't just something that is occurring in San Fransisco, New York, etc. Now, maybe there is something different about Jackson where this revival or gentrification may not occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or