U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:25 PM

8,629 posts, read 8,628,501 times

Advertisements

Is the wave of white flight from Jackson coming to an end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 03:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 959,906 times
White population has shrunk to around 18% so yeah I'd say it's close to ending cause there won't be any whites left

Old 01-28-2017, 04:30 PM

725 posts, read 404,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is the wave of white flight from Jackson coming to an end?
Somewhat, yes. I think you had a big generation of people that were chasing the perfect life. So, if you didn't have it, you just moved when the property value dropped, and there was plenty of cheaper land around to grab. Now, this next generation of people are realizing that if you want something to be nice, YOU have to do it. They also aren't nearly as scared of black people as their parents. Thus, the millenial wave back into downtowns to gentrify. The people who held onto to urban property are going to make some money, the ones who left for middle to lower level suburbs are going to lose, because those will decay. Your Brandon's and Madison's will still thrive. Others may not be so lucky.

It's not just millenials, it's many others, who actually care enough about their city to make a sacrifice.

It's very hard to predict. You have to look at where the money and industry is. Eastover has still managed to keep its value even though it is served by JPS and City of Jackson utilities/police/etc.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Somewhat, yes. I think you had a big generation of people that were chasing the perfect life. So, if you didn't have it, you just moved when the property value dropped, and there was plenty of cheaper land around to grab. Now, this next generation of people are realizing that if you want something to be nice, YOU have to do it. They also aren't nearly as scared of black people as their parents. Thus, the millenial wave back into downtowns to gentrify. The people who held onto to urban property are going to make some money, the ones who left for middle to lower level suburbs are going to lose, because those will decay. Your Brandon's and Madison's will still thrive. Others may not be so lucky.

It's not just millenials, it's many others, who actually care enough about their city to make a sacrifice.

It's very hard to predict. You have to look at where the money and industry is. Eastover has still managed to keep its value even though it is served by JPS and City of Jackson utilities/police/etc.
hahaha

Let's count the reasons why people left and why they won't be coming back:

1. Crime
2. Poverty
3. Corrupt leaders
4. Incompetent leaders
5. Horrible schools
6. Crumbling infrastructure
7. Decaying quality of life

Old 01-28-2017, 10:29 PM

3,138 posts, read 3,961,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post

...It's not just millenials, it's many others, who actually care enough about their city to make a sacrifice.

Reminds me of a cheery Chinese Communist Party official, during the building of the Three Gorges Dam, explaining why all those hundreds of thousands of people were PROUD and thrilled to be relocated from their homes and villages: "They have been waiting all their lives to make such a sacrifice!"

(https://books.google.com/books?id=Jh...rifice&f=false)

Those were some of the issues, but the main reason why a lot of people left was when 45 years, legal segration was outlawed, so people left the city because their neighborhoods could no longer be all white, and they left for the suburbs were they could still maintain their life in a humogenous neighborhood."
And: "ou would have to be blind to not see this from a historical stand point, that people left the city because legal segration ended. I'm not saying that everyone who left the city is a racist, and there were some other reasons going on at that time, but when massive amounts of people left back in the 1960s-1970s it was because of not having legal segragation. The world isn't black and white."

Well, actually, Jackson was booming, right into the '90s. It was the place to which you moved, if you were ambitious, didn't have what it took to get out of Mississippi, and didn't inherit the insurance agency/farm implement dealership/mortuary/car dealership/newspaper back home. 45 years ago was 1972. People were flocking to Jackson, back then, from all corners of the state.

In the Seventies, Belhaven was THE happening part of town, and transplants quickly learned that the best frats and suzies from Ole Miss were moving there, along with the "creative types" (http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/201...ood-times.html). Jackson Mall was still one of the largest in the South, and Metrocenter (also huge, by Southern standards) would open in '78. Southwest Jackson was seeing a boom, with 'Fine Brick Dream Homes' popping-up everywhere.

'Fashionable Northeast Jackson' was a leafy dreamworld. In '72, Neighborhoods like Woodland Hills and Eastover were already packed with lovely people living in lovely homes. Soon, and well into the 90s, developers like Freddie Davis were subdividing old estate lots, and putting in rows of chic 'Charleston Type'/'Zero Lotline'/Townhouse/Patio Home residences. Davis was also building The Barrington, which offered much coveted and luxurious mid-rise condominiums for the wealthy. Lots in the better/older/established parts of FNEJ were going at astronomical prices, to people who were building homes which turned up in
Southern Living and Verandah.

Highland Village was a Seventies Contemporary wonderland for shoppers, done all in beautiful handmade brick, with colored mortar. Sculptures were carved from fossil stone, and mobiles hung overhead. The shops were NICE - with merchandise which tempted even international travelers accustomed to the offerings in Zurich and Paris (Maison Weiss, in particular...).
'
One of our neighbors was heard to say, while lunching with an associate, at Highland Village's 'Bravo!' http://bravobuzz.com/(or maybe at its predecessor, Sundancer..), "Look at these people! They all think they're in the richest place in the world!" And that truly encapsulates the mood, back then. We were all proud of our city, saw only good things ahead, and DID allow ourselves to view it as "the richest place in the world". We considered ourselves to be on the cusp of creating a truly wonderful way of life.

There were private preschools, private schools, private pools, lovely places to shop, and beautiful plants blooming every month of the year, in all those big, beautiful yards. We had it made, and we knew it. Until things actually became untenable, few were thinking about leaving. Yes, Atlanta and Birmingham were experiencing mass flight in the '70s. But not Jackson.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 01-28-2017 at 11:51 PM..

Old 01-28-2017, 10:35 PM

187 posts, read 141,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison2013 View Post
hahaha

Let's count the reasons why people left and why they won't be coming back:

1. Crime
2. Poverty
3. Corrupt leaders
4. Incompetent leaders
5. Horrible schools
6. Crumbling infrastructure
7. Decaying quality of life
Those were some of the issues, but the main reason why a lot of people left was when 45 years, legal segration was outlawed, so people left the city because their neighborhoods could no longer be all white, and they left for the suburbs were they could still maintain their life in a humogenous neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Those were some of the issues, but the main reason why a lot of people left was when 45 years, legal segration was outlawed, so people left the city because their neighborhoods could no longer be all white, and they left for the suburbs were they could still maintain their life in a humogenous neighborhood.
Ahhhhh there it is. Racist white people are to blame. It never fails.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Ahhhhh there it is. Racist white people are to blame. It never fails.
You would have to be blind to not see this from a historical stand point, that people left the city because legal segration ended. I'm not saying that everyone who left the city is a racist, and there were some other reasons going on at that time ,but when massive amounts of people left back in the 1960s-1970s it was(for the most part) because of not having legal segregation. The world isn't black and white.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
You would have to be blind to not see this from a historical stand point, that people left the city because legal segration ended. I'm not saying that everyone who left the city is a racist, and there were some other reasons going on at that time ,but when massive amounts of people left back in the 1960s-1970s it was(for the most part) because of not having legal segregation. The world isn't black and white.
Please continue to lecture me more about how racists southerners are.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Please continue to lecture me more about how racists southerners are.
Not what I said, I said that back in the early 1970s(and decades preceding and exceeding those years) when legal segregation ended, lots of people who wanted to avoid integration(who were a large portion of the population) moved out of the city to suburbs. If it's happening now, than that is debatable whether or not it is actually white flight which sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Also don't think I'm targeting southerners, this stuff happened in most cities in the country.

I will admit though I was wrong on this topic when considering Jackson and for that I am sorry. I need to look a little more into it. My point still stands though that white flight occurred in most cities in the country back a couple of decades.

Last edited by Northeasterner1970; 01-29-2017 at 02:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or