Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM

36 posts, read 148,031 times

Advertisements

Having grown up around Jackson, I agree with most everything ellygirl says. Madison people are superficial, and southern hospitality does not exist anymore in the Jackson area. As far as nature trails, have you tried the trail along the natchez trace? It's very nice, being slighly biased as i did a good bit of the work on it when i was younger. Then of course there are all the people on here attacking her views, which proves the point that people in the area really are rude, even if you grew up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 PM

46 posts, read 189,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellygirl67 View Post
Okay, let me clarify my position. The later posts seemed to catch on and agree... Mississippi is a very difficult place to make friends. I have looked in the mirror, as one poster suggested - in high school I was voted class favorite and most cheerful (I can hear you laugh seeing as to how I complained). But truly, I have gone to school football games and attempted to converse in a friendly manner with other MS mom's and as soon as I'm finished talking they walk away to their pre-existing group and don't even invite me over and introduce me! I thought I had the plague, but when I talked to other transplants about this they readily agreed and said they have the same exact problem. So, I guess us transplants will have to stick together and form our own friendships because the supposedly hospitable Mississippians won't welcome us.

In regard to being humiliated... Take a look at the roads full of pot holes and cracks and weeds along the edges rather than sidewalks and borders. Look at how many people don't take care of their homes or yards. I'm not being materialist - even if you have a tiny shed, at least MAINTAIN what you have. Even someone I know who comes from very modest means said this area was the "armpit" of America. It is simply because there is no consistency of care - one small area is nice while sitting next to a junk pile. I'm trying to look for the positives, believe me, but when the negatives keep jumping out at you it is difficult. I've lived in many areas around the country and believe me, this area is not as nice as the people born and raised here think it is. Being a bit miffed because I've been snubbed by people who have no other basis of snubbing me other than the fact that I'm not a native Mississippian has not caused me to be blind or purely subjective. I know the natives don't like that, but perhaps THEY are the ones in need of a little objectivity. Go travel and see for yourself!
I concur 100% with everything you are saying. While I am not from MS nor have I lived there, my husband is from Jackson. At one point we were doing the long distance thing and when I visited (And I was there an extended period of time. And have been back since my inlaws live in Brandon.) whenever we were out and people he knew would talk to him, they would not even acknowledge I was there. However, there were a few cool people who became my friends as well through osmosis.

I am going through a very similar situation to yours. We moved to TN several months ago and I am having a hard time finding anyone to connect with. I have tried to be friendly and warm, and when I try to strike up a conversation with someone they look at me like my head was on fire.

And we have a lot of grievances such as yours. Especially with people not maintaining their property and not having pride in the beautiful city they live in.

Alas, with all of our problems here we most likely will be relocating to a different part of TN if things go our way.

Good luck to you, and hang in there.

Last edited by xtine; 07-22-2008 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 9,466 times
I edited my post, Duck Hunter is right you need to actually experience the state before you pass judgement.

Last edited by Skeptical1; 07-23-2008 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: I need to experience Mississippi firsthand

Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM

26 posts, read 120,123 times
Honestly the problem is people that already have their mind made up about the state before they get here, not singleing you out but seriously you have your mind made up off of reading an internet chat board. This is hilarious, people in Mississippi dont like YANKEES because of the way half of this board acts, they say the geniounely try to be nice and get accepted, well I call B.S., ha hope that word doesn't get me removed. I hope all the negative people on here complaining about how they arent accepted in the state would leave, I'm sure all of us terrible rednecks from Mississippi would like it alot better.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Please try and keep this thread civil, ya'll.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
I concur 100% with everything you are saying. While I am not from MS nor have I lived there, my husband is from Jackson. At one point we were doing the long distance thing and when I visited (And I was there an extended period of time. And have been back since my inlaws live in Brandon.) whenever we were out and people he knew would talk to him, they would not even acknowledge I was there. However, there were a few cool people who became my friends as well through osmosis.

I am going through a very similar situation to yours. We moved to TN several months ago and I am having a hard time finding anyone to connect with. I have tried to be friendly and warm, and when I try to strike up a conversation with someone they look at me like my head was on fire.

And we have a lot of grievances such as yours. Especially with people not maintaining their property and not having pride in the beautiful city they live in.

Alas, with all of our problems here we most likely will be relocating to a different part of TN if things go our way.

Good luck to you, and hang in there.
OMG... the same thing happens to me. My husband is from Jackson, but I am not. When we are out and people he knows comes to talk to him, he has to almost rudely interupt them to introduce me. I think the rudest thing that happened was when we ran into the parents of one of his jr. high girlfriends. They ignored me and proceeded to tell my husband that he should have stuck with their daughter because she turned out to be so pretty. What??? What am I? Chopped liver? How rude! My husband was embarrassed as they kept talking about how pretty their daughter was and what a good job she had. My husband jumped in and excused ourselves and we got the heck out of there. How rude!!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck hunter View Post
Honestly the problem is people that already have their mind made up about the state before they get here, not singleing you out but seriously you have your mind made up off of reading an internet chat board. This is hilarious, people in Mississippi dont like YANKEES because of the way half of this board acts, they say the geniounely try to be nice and get accepted, well I call B.S., ha hope that word doesn't get me removed. I hope all the negative people on here complaining about how they arent accepted in the state would leave, I'm sure all of us terrible rednecks from Mississippi would like it alot better.
It's looking more and more like Jackson, not Montgomery that my husband is getting transferred too. If we get accepted, so be it. If not, oh well. We aren't socialites, keep to ourselves, so if people talk to us ok if not ok. But we won't go into Mississippi with the attitude nobody is going to treat us right so why bother. We'll just be ourselves, like we normally are.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 AM

6 posts, read 21,762 times
hi, we relocated here from Mi alittle over a year ago, and for the most part, I think the people are great, and very helpful. Its not any different than in Michigan, or the little town that I grew up in...We have a daughter who is a Junior, and she was immediately embraced and has since made tons of friends, she is happy as a lark! (We live in Ridgeland Traceriddge Sub, and love it. The high school is good, the staff is great, and our daughter is thriving. We get along great with our neighbors, have a bonfire with them nearly every week! I guess I don't get it....who's approval are you trying to earn????

Old 08-16-2008, 01:49 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
This is kind of a universal thing. When I lived in a smallish city in northern New York, people were difficult to get to know. Happily, there are good people everywhere and I made friends I still communicate with 20 years later.

For instance, it is legendary in small British villages that it takes decades for an individual or generations for a family to fit in. The small town Brits are harder to get to know than New Yorkers, but they are not unique in that at all.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
I have to say my piece..I just moved to the Jackson Metro area, namely Belhaven. I have lived in California for many many years and am heading back ..in a way I am a newbie....in a way Im not.....my family has lived in MS for as long as anyone can remember. We even have a town named after us.... I dont give a rip if people like me or dont like me....I dont care if Im popular..my daddy doesnt know your daddy..I no longer have a drawl...but..I am finally home...yes Im the granddaughter of a sharecropper...and I dont live in MADISON we came from Grenada..(and spread southward)......and as far as crime...my sidearm is probably bigger than theirs! You just dont go to those areas to open yourself up to a "bad experience"...There are so many beautiful places in Miss....people just fail to look. Things are simpler...its not a fancy metro area with a starbucks on every corner...

I cant tell you how relieved I was to hit the state line...Im HOME!!!!!CORNBREAD!

Theres cliques everywhere you go....and its a struggle. I just tell people to put their big girl britches on.....or big boy britches...and deal with it....get involved....be an active member of the community. You would be surprised at how welcoming folks are when they feel that youre serious about helping others or improving the community. No they generally dont accept people from the outside (READILY)....especially if youre bagging on their hometown..Mississippians are a tough crowd. But if youre positive..open...dont put your elbows on the table or chew with your mouth open..they wont talk about you. Yessir and No Ma'am work well too..

The pluses outweigh the minuses.. I love the history...and how deep the roots go...I think that the rest of the U.S. could learn a lesson in family ties....and values...

Im staying.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson