Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:34 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times

Advertisements

I came thru Jackson several times back in the 70's and 80's on trips back and forth between Texas and Indiana. I had an uncle, aunt and a couple of cousins who lived in Brandon and we'd always stop and visit with them for a few hours. They had a big house on a big lot that was one story but covered lots of area. It was made out of stone in a very nice area of Brandon. The neighborhood had lots big beautiful oak trees with Spanish moss that gave shade in all directions. It was very pleasant place to be and in a beautiful area.

Jackson seemed like it was a nice town and at the time, it seemed like it was in boom mode. I remember there was a nice sized mall in Jackson that was on the northbound side of Interstate 55 (or is it 57?). There was a really good Mexican restaraunt we'd always like to stop and eat at. The name of that restaraunt is right on the tip of my tongue but for the life of me, I can't think of it. It is, or was, located right off the interstate, not too far from the mall but on the opposite side of the road from the mall. There was a nice La Quinta Inn we'd sometimes stay at and we'd eat breakfast at Denny's the next morning. Seems like they were on the southbound side of the interstate.

From what I read about Jackson in this forum, I imagine those places are no longer there or if they are, they're in a sad state of disrepair.

The part of Jackson that I knew doesn't sound anything at all like the way Jackson is portrayed in this C-D Forum.

Unless the bottom has completely fallen out of everything, I imagine Brandon is still a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 05:34 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I came thru Jackson several times back in the 70's and 80's on trips back and forth between Texas and Indiana. I had an uncle, aunt and a couple of cousins who lived in Brandon and we'd always stop and visit with them for a few hours. They had a big house on a big lot that was one story but covered lots of area. It was made out of stone in a very nice area of Brandon. The neighborhood had lots big beautiful oak trees with Spanish moss that gave shade in all directions. It was very pleasant place to be and in a beautiful area.

Jackson seemed like it was a nice town and at the time, it seemed like it was in boom mode. I remember there was a nice sized mall in Jackson that was on the northbound side of Interstate 55 (or is it 57?). There was a really good Mexican restaraunt we'd always like to stop and eat at. The name of that restaraunt is right on the tip of my tongue but for the life of me, I can't think of it. It is, or was, located right off the interstate, not too far from the mall but on the opposite side of the road from the mall. There was a nice La Quinta Inn we'd sometimes stay at and we'd eat breakfast at Denny's the next morning. Seems like they were on the southbound side of the interstate.

From what I read about Jackson in this forum, I imagine those places are no longer there or if they are, they're in a sad state of disrepair.

The part of Jackson that I knew doesn't sound anything at all like the way Jackson is portrayed in this C-D Forum.

Unless the bottom has completely fallen out of everything, I imagine Brandon is still a nice area.
Could it be the El Palacio restaurant that used to be off I-55?

Old 05-30-2018, 05:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,889,371 times
Brandon is still nice. That Mall is Metro Center and on the north side of I-20 coming in from LA. That mall is mostly dead now, although I haven't been there in 20 years.

The other large indoor the area is Northpark in Ridgeland on the east side of I-55. Northpark is still going, but it is not doing well from what I hear, it has been at least 10 years or longer since I have been there.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:44 PM

Of all the malls in the Jackson area, Northpark had the longest period of prosperity. The Jackson Mall and Metrocenter were good for 10 years.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Could it be the El Palacio restaurant that used to be off I-55?
It does seem like it was El something or other. El Chico or El Torito? It was one of the 1st sit-down Mexican restaraunts I ever ate that was east of the Mississippi River.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Brandon is still nice. That Mall is Metro Center and on the north side of I-20 coming in from LA. That mall is mostly dead now, although I haven't been there in 20 years.

The other large indoor the area is Northpark in Ridgeland on the east side of I-55. Northpark is still going, but it is not doing well from what I hear, it has been at least 10 years or longer since I have been there.
I believe it was Northpark. It was a nice mall. I don't remember anything negative about it. Anymore it seems there's alot of indoor malls thru out the country that are run down or no longer in business. Seems like they are becoming a thing of the past, as a type of shopping center. One of the biggest and nicest indoor malls in Austin that was built in the mid 70's is now a community college.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:08 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I believe it was Northpark. It was a nice mall. I don't remember anything negative about it. Anymore it seems there's alot of indoor malls thru out the country that are run down or no longer in business. Seems like they are becoming a thing of the past, as a type of shopping center. One of the biggest and nicest indoor malls in Austin that was built in the mid 70's is now a community college.
Exactly, all malls except the very biggest and best ones all had a shelf life, and eventually phased out. Crime and loitering forced development of the outdoor malls, and now internet sales is forcing retailers into consolidation or a 'niche' type specialty brand.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:02 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,431,538 times
It's hard for outsiders to the if a mall is doing well. Northpark is well maintained both inside and out. It doesn't have many vacancies, and when a store closes they seem to do a good job of finding replacement stores. The parking lot always has many cars in it. The mall is especially crowded during the holidays.

By my observations I would say Northpark is probably doing better financially than Renaissance. Renaissance is never crowded, never has lots of cars in the parking areas, and generally looks like a ghost town except for the restaurants and the Apple store.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM

I don’t know why the Jackson Mall and Metrocenter were built in their locations. I never thought those parts of Jackson were ever considered upscale.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Exactly, all malls except the very biggest and best ones all had a shelf life, and eventually phased out. Crime and loitering forced development of the outdoor malls, and now internet sales is forcing retailers into consolidation or a 'niche' type specialty brand.
That's what ruined so many of the malls. They allowed large numbers of unsupervised immature adolescents with raging hormones and teen age drama to loiter in the mall and parking lot and just hang out and not do anything but cause drama and harass "real" customers and never spend any money except maybe in the arcade and food court. No real shopper would want to deal with that kind of environment when there are other options available.

I hadn't thought about it, but with outdoor malls, I bet it is easier to control much of the loitering that goes on. I bet the expense of central air and heat in the corridors of the mall plays a big part in the current trend of outdoor malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson